Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three now rather old hens. Two yellow buff orphingtons and one Rhode Island Red. The biggest, if you remember from an earlier post is named Scrambles for good reason. She's not all there. She is the biggest and has learned to growl, probably from the bobcat who comes by to try to get her from time to time. She has only done it three times. I guess I don't hang around with them enough to be there with the camera at the right time.

The smallest one, Buttercup still lays an egg occasionally, and is very mild and thinks I'm a rooster. I guess It could get weirder. But wait! It has!

The third, my Rhode Island Red is named Big Red and she is a pretty ordinary chicken. Until yesterday. I fed them early, then went back out to do something. When I walked by their house, I heard what can only be described as a loud, high pitched scream, like the kind an 18 year girl makes in a horror movie. I turn around, and it's Big Red, chest all puffed out and screaming like a banshee, and quite human like. Her little mouth is contorting to make that noise.

I need a hobby-maybe metal detecting. Absolutely true story.

KenG

Mar 16, 2018
East TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass II, Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have around 60 chickens on the farm. They roam free during the day. I very much enjoy watching them scratch around and peck at everything. They are down right funny when they get to chasing bugs in the yard. Especially when 2 or 3 get after the same bug. A couple of weeks back we had a coyote that decided he like watching them also. I recon he liked watching them so much he took a few home. LOL. That eventually ended poorly for the coyote.

Cheers,
Ken

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have three now rather old hens. Two yellow buff orphingtons and one Rhode Island Red. The biggest, if you remember from an earlier post is named Scrambles for good reason. She's not all there. She is the biggest and has learned to growl, probably from the bobcat who comes by to try to get her from time to time. She has only done it three times. I guess I don't hang around with them enough to be there with the camera at the right time.

The smallest one, Buttercup still lays an egg occasionally, and is very mild and thinks I'm a rooster. I guess It could get weirder. But wait! It has!

The third, my Rhode Island Red is named Big Red and she is a pretty ordinary chicken. Until yesterday. I fed them early, then went back out to do something. When I walked by their house, I heard what can only be described as a loud, high pitched scream, like the kind an 18 year girl makes in a horror movie. I turn around, and it's Big Red, chest all puffed out and screaming like a banshee, and quite human like. Her little mouth is contorting to make that noise.

I need a hobby-maybe metal detecting. Absolutely true story.

Smokey, do you have chickens for the eggs or do you have them because they sometimes make your day or both? That was a funny story.:coffee2:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our chickens are fun and sometimes frustrating. We have a little bantam rooster that mumbles to himself like an old man.

As far as counseling, I have found motivational posters in the coop can help.

s-l300.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were good for eggs once but they’re just pets now.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
they are needing social help very badly. they are trying to let you know that they need this help. as a professional sickalogolist, I can tell you that as they have gotten older, they have literally ran out of things to talk about. What they need is another newer hen to talk about or with and all will be well in chicken land. (unless the new chicken clashes with the others and then things would turn out worse but it will still give the older ones something new to talk about.) There is an art about using reverse sickalogoly on others but when you get it down, it can work wonders. :laughing7:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
As soon as I saw the title, I knew I had to read this one.

Good show Smokey!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have five hens left, 2 barred rock and 3 Australorp. The three ‘lorps have been broody for almost three months now. That means they sit on the nest non-stop, eggs or not. The first ’rock out in the morning lets loose a sickly “cockadoodle-do!”

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they know they're hens, not roosters?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I may share my sadness, and joy, here in your thread Smokey...
2 weeks ago we lost Sofia Eggara, to a sudden illness....
But on July 4 my wife and I became proud parents of 3 new young hens...
Abigail Adams, Betsy Ross, and Martha Washington.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigwavedave, I feel for you. I had some stone delivered and I think the driver squished a tiny frog when he dumped the rocks. I"m getting soft headed. I blamed myself for a year when my first hen died. She died in her sleep, every feather in place. Never did figure it out, buried her next to another (dead) pet. We even buried the goldfish once upon a time ago.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pets are great or we wouldn't have them.
I'm working towards putting in a shed where I will keep pedigree pigeons. (New York Flights)

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A neighbor Lady came to me crying---------------------I asked her what she was crying for and she replied "My Daughter thinks she is a Chicken. I asked if she could take her to a Psychiatrist and she replied, no because I need the EGGS.
Marvin

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have two of my girls left. Both old. A Buff Orp and a Barred Rock. The BR has given me 5-6 eggs in the last 6 months. Nothing from the Buff. The Buff is a real sweetheart though. The BR decided a few weeks back that she wanted to crow like a rooster. Funny to see. Real scratchy voice. I can't free range them, two many fox, fisher and hawks around.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you allow them to join the cluckers union....they may be dismayed over their dues.....

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have all manner of chicken killing monsters here. A bald eagle even took a turn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread