What Contributed MOST to your Best Detecting Day Ever?

What was MOST responsible for your best day detecting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• IMG_20160425_155606.jpg
    IMG_20160425_155606.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 78

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going slow and low.

I was on the same site I'd been on for a few weeks, and the finds were drying up. But then I slowed down, and kept my coil very low to the ground... and out popped my best find.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best day was when I found a Fugio, large cent, 1864 ihp, musket balls, and flat button all in the front yard of an old house. None of these were crazy deep and I have found a lot of other really awesome stuff at this house. So I would say the site contributed the most.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
it was a pretty spring day high of 74 sunny with a light breeze i was at a 1880's house that had people living in it till the 1940's got there first signal was a high slamming signal popped the plug saw a silver rim staring back at me grab it it was a 1942 d quarter my first silver

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Location. For sure. It was 1980...
My Mentor took me to a school to try out the brand new detector I'd made him take me to buy the previous day. It was a Whites 6/DB...He swung a Whites 5000. I'd spent $350...which, back then, was more than half a paycheck. Wife was "thrilled" with that. 😠 Anyway...this school was 60's-ish and located on a state highway...so he surmised it'd probably been hit before, but that I'd find some clad and learn my machine a little. By the time we'd gotten 10 feet off the asphalt, our pockets were bulging with coins and other trinkets (cheap rings, earrings, pins, etc.). We began walking up a slight slope toward the highway and BOOM! Silvers! Lots of them! 😁 I ended the hunt that day with 18 silvers and Tom had 22 or 23, I think. 😱 I had one plug with 2 SLQ's and 5 GW's in it!!! In the next month, that school paid for my detector 10x over! We'd eventually found out the school property had been owned by the church next door...which was almost 100 years old. The slope was their old sledding hill...and the school grounds is where they held socials and such.
So, yeah...Location, location, location! 😂

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Location.

You could be a superman with a super detector, but you won't find em' where they ain't.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Researching the location!!!!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location. I've never found anything that a cheaper or more expensive detector wouldn't have found too. Your second choice should be LUCK, not SKILL. Luck has played a big part, skill not so much.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting 29 years, with all brands of detector's..... Location, Location, Location and then experience to get the last hard one's.....

An experienced hunter can find coin's, even with a cheap machine, but, if they are not there... you can't find them....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it to be location! :icon_thumleft:

Bassmann and Mr. Wilburino have great points about machines and skill level. :occasion14:

IMHO: As for luck :dontknow:; being a scientist...I don't believe in it. All of my "luck" came from hard work.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Positivity ! I never had a BAD day dectector. Just some are better than others.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Location. A few of my best finds we're surface finds.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location trumps skill, luck and any 2k machine you can buy.

Of course, being the first person to a good location is very important as well. I've hunted some amazing colonial era cellar holes that were obviously great locations, but someone beat me to them and pretty much picked them clean...

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I would normally say location. But, in answer to your question, "best day", I would have to say my EQ6.

Case in point. Used my ATP on a location that I researched and hunted to death. Found what should have been there. Somewhere's in the 350 clad, a couple of silver's, and a good amount of wheats.
Finds were almost to a stand still and wasn't really going to go back. Figured I give the site a chance to grow some more coins:laughing7:.
Bought a new machine, went back to the site, and had my best day. 9 Silver, 15 Wheats. It were the machine on that day, for sure, for sure:icon_thumright:

Disclaimer: This is not an ad for the EQ.:laughing7:

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location. I was at a construction site. Used to be a Civil War camp in Northern Virginia. Loaded with relics.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times I've said that "Detecting was 33 1/3% machine, 33 1/3% operator, and 33 1/3% luck, but yup, as others have said, if nothing is there to begin with, then no matter what, you go home with 100% of nothing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sticking with it,and not giving up is the answer.Every piece of Junk you dig ,will eventually lead you to the Gold:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread