rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick history, I purchased a 600 to be my beach detector after all the great reviews. 10 day beach trip to Croatia, which is awesome btw. Anyway she "drowned" after one day in the water, not more than chest deep. Water in the control box, RIP.

My advice, if you ever think you might water hunt, submerge your machine before it's out of warranty to ensure it's sealed.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that. I assume yours was under warranty? Did Minelab tell you why it happened?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I assume you've contacted Minelab. I hear the Equinoxes are good machine, but I'm beginning to wonder about their quality control. Just like the TSA folks at the airport today! Just don't ask....

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iT HAS TO BE UNDER warranty . It is NOT that old of a machine

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the water get in through the headphone connection and how did you make that connection?.
If it is salt water,, you're probably right, RIP.

OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is under warranty. It's been a bit of a hassle since I live in Germany. I explained that I have a US address but they want me to get it fixed here in Europe. Then the rep for Europe was on vacation. I now have one on order from Holland. I send mine in on the stick and they replace the control box.

It's hard to tell where the water came in, no visible signs of leakage from the outside. No explanation from ML. Seen a couple others like mine on YT.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's tough luck. Recalls may be next or a waterproof improvement kit sent to owners. Hope they get this fixed.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've taken mine in the ocean no problems. Guess I got a good one.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A general recall would be very bad. I would also advise folks to go dunk their machines now, even if it's in the bathtub to make sure there are no hidden defects. Detector in the tub, what's next rubber duckies?:notworthy:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would also advise folks to go dunk their machines now, even if it's in the bathtub to make sure there are no hidden defects.

Definitely do this kind of testing whenever you get a new detector. I recall a thread a while back about a guy saying he got a new machine, didn't use it, turned it on 6 months later, and it didn't work. It was out of warranty so he was out of luck. I felt bad but at the same time it was on him for not doing that testing while he had the warranty. I've tested my nox in my swimming pool and then in the ocean - no problems. I did make sure to keep the audio plug sealed which is what I think may be the weak point.

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry to hear that. I assume yours was under warranty? Did Minelab tell you why it happened?

I’ve made a remark several months ago about minelab after $1200 for an ex caliber it was a waste of money when all the cords on that fell apart ,word of warning send you money to a charity ,you will feel better later.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve made a remark several months ago about minelab after $1200 for an ex caliber it was a waste of money when all the cords on that fell apart ,word of warning send you money to a charity ,you will feel better later.

If you rinse the excal in hot water not cold water after having it at the beach and spray cables about once a month with Mcnitt Silicone spray (vegetable base, NO petroleum products) or another brand of vegetable based silicone spray the insulation will not peal off. Silicone is a natural UV inhibitor. Too many people rince the excal in cold water at the beach or a garden hose at home and that does not rinse off all the salt residue. I own 4 excals, 2 of the old excal blue models and 2 Excal IIs, not a one has has had cables peal. Another thing to avoid is storing the excal in a hot location like garages that are not air conditioned.

OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ML sent me the new control unit, day 1 it went in the pool with me. Got a good one this time. Let's go to the beach!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is the 6th equinox leaker ive heard about :BangHead:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six out of what thousands is a very low failure rate.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Six out of what thousands is a very low failure rate.

Yeah but those are only the ones we have heard about and that is mainly on Treasure Net. What about all the others that Minelab gets back for repairs due to leaks? I don't think they have a link on their' website for listing failed units!:icon_scratch:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive sent my garrett in year after warranty expired no charge quick fix great water machine also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread