Thinking of buying a sand scoop?

Gulfcapt25

Aug 23, 2007
New Orleans La - The Big Easy-
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hello Everyone,
I live in the new orleans area, and im thinking about going to some beaches on the gulf to hunt. I have seen countless ads for different kinds of sand scoops, and I want your opinion on the best one to buy and maybee the most cost effective. I have a Ace 250 so I wont be in the water just the wet sand and the regular beach. John

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in the water, thanks, this makes it easier. For dry sand a screen type works best as it's fast sifting. Your only option is long handle or short. Go with the longer handle, your back will thank you in the wet sand.

Check out www.rtgstore.com

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
John,

I agree with the sandman. Go with a long handle, you'll back will thank you. :D In wet sand, the long handle also gives good leverage. ;)

You get what you pay for. ;) The long handle is expensive but if you buy a good one, it'll last a life time.

I use the 2-piece shown. It's travels great broken in 2.

The most economical way is a plastic or metal hand scoop. ;)
Nothin wrong with these, they work, but ya gotta bend over to scoop the sand. :-[

Keep the forum updated on your selection. 8)

Attachments

• 2-piece long handle scoop.JPG
    2-piece long handle scoop.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 265
  • plastic hand scoop.JPG
    plastic hand scoop.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 227
  • metal hand scoop.JPG
    metal hand scoop.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 196

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Hello John,
I agree with the other two. I do beaches also wet sand and dry, don't go in the water. I bought a long handled sand scoop but not a good one. Didn't realize how heavy sand can get and bent the shaft badly. Best to spend a few extra $$ to get a better scoop than having wasted $50.00 with a cheepy.
HH Roy

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One technique I used the last time detectin wet sand. :o

Fill the scoop of the long handle scoop, check the hole, once the target is in the scoop, dump the sand (make sure the surf doesn't wash up), spread the scooped sand with foot, detect the spread, finally, finger the sand where thy coil says. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread