An exciting day...

Jay Banta

Apr 17, 2018
Biloxi, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1C10F35B-9045-4C62-8259-618685A10120.jpeg 19648B9E-6111-47D8-BED6-CAE3271560A2.jpeg

An exciting day on a pasture.

I had just started hunting a field near me that I had spent countless hours of research on. Pouring over old maps, newspaper articles, personal accounts, and limitless tales of the local inhabitants. All pointing to a campsite of Union soldiers during the War Between The States. I made double sure all my equipment was ready for a full hunt of the field I knew was going to change my look on history and the way I’d look at this lowly unused cow pasture that had gotten sadly overgrown with time. Being a retired soldier myself, I felt I was walking the ground giants had stood upon over a hundred fifty years ago; and I was in awe. My first signal with the machine was a dropped three ringer bullet and I knew I was standing on the right place. A few hundred yards later, I found a holy grail for me; a small thing that many tell me they have never recovered. A snake buckle. I should have left the field at that point because nothing will top that for a long time in my eyes. I shook as I held it for the last man that did, and lost it, had long been in his grave far from here and whose named lost to time. I was elated I had found such a prize in my eyes. I continued with my search of the field having remembered that people would bury their family’s treasure in such a field in order to keep the likes of Gen. Benjamin Butler from taking it from them forever. After hours of walking the field, I hit a great signal again. Strong, high, and deep. My heart fluttered after opening a hole in the dark soiled earth to expose a dark stained, yet shiny, handle with flower designs. Thoughts of silver raced through my mind as I thought of the recovery of old buried fine serving items of a long bygone era. My hand gently extracted the piece from eight inches into the earth and found it to be an intact dining fork!! My heart pounding in my chest as I softly moved a finger over the neck to expose the hallmarks underneath and held my breath waiting for the reveal. Sadly my heart sank as the cursed words saw the light of the sun saying “Stainless” “Korea”.

I think we have all been there at some point and those that have can certainly relate. But it’s still the thrill that motivates and the guessing that keeps us going. I hope you enjoyed this long, drawn out story and makes you smile remembering your own!!!

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and amazing buckle :occasion14:

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure an exciting day. I feel that way whenever i dig up a cool relic.congrats to you

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great post! I have had the fortune of experiencing those feelings a few times myself and only a digger understands. The snake buckle is a great find and there should be some other great relics there. Good luck and look forward to reading more of your post.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story.. Awesome find. That buckle is beautiful. Congrats

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013