It is hot out there my friends, keep HYDRATED!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it was 107 here yesterday with high humidity, very miserable. been trying to do everything before or at daylight while a little cooler. Have heard of people having strokes working in the heat as well as a few deaths so take care. Also heard of another small child death from being left in a car, totally stupid! Drink lots of liquids and take breaks, becoming a shade chaser also helps a little LOL. Just don't over do it, heat stroke can be devastating. Last year I found that that I needed more than just water and began to drink Gatorade and this helped a lot. So hunt smart and drink fluids to keep your body going correctly. DL

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having fun in the heat can put you down. Two years ago, a hot few hours of shark tooth hunting did it to me. I drank 3 bottles of water while searching for teeth, was feeling woozy when I got home. I drank some more water, took a shower, went to the kitchen for another glass of water, and passed out. I just keeled over, bashed my head on the refrigerator going down, and came to with the paramedics ( my wife called 911 while I was snoozing on the floor ) loading me on a stretcher. At the ER, they put 3 and a half liters of saline in me, before I felt normal again. Amazing how fast one can lose fluids. By the way, since this event, my tolerance for heat has gone way down. I haven't been the same. Keep drinking!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Having fun in the heat can put you down. Two years ago, a hot few hours of shark tooth hunting did it to me. I drank 3 bottles of water while searching for teeth, was feeling woozy when I got home. I drank some more water, took a shower, went to the kitchen for another glass of water, and passed out. I just keeled over, bashed my head on the refrigerator going down, and came to with the paramedics ( my wife called 911 while I was snoozing on the floor ) loading me on a stretcher. At the ER, they put 3 and a half liters of saline in me, before I felt normal again. Amazing how fast one can lose fluids. By the way, since this event, my tolerance for heat has gone way down. I haven't been the same. Keep drinking!

wow, and that is exactly why to make sure you are drinking enough. Years ago I thought that I was drinking enough water but paid the price too, was a long time before I could "handle" the heat again. glad that you survived it like you did, could have been a lot worse. gotta respect the heat, it has none for us.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been through the southern states during the summer. The heat and humidity can be stifling.
Every year you hear about people dying from heat stroke or heart attacks due to exhaustion. I am constantly reaching for Seltzer water. When the temps approach 90,, I do as little as possible.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been through the southern states during the summer. The heat and humidity can be stifling.
Every year you hear about people dying from heat stroke or heart attacks due to exhaustion. I am constantly reaching for Seltzer water. When the temps approach 90,, I do as little as possible.

In the North, people shelter in the winter, in the South, summer. In the North, you can always put on another layer in winter. In the South, naked is a far as you can go, and it ain't enough!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
As a lineman here in Michigan, and approaching 60, I do a lot of climbing and the heat’s been terrible. I drink about a gallon of water a day. I loved Gatorade, but doctor made me give it up after a bad bout with a kidney stone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread