Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in the 90's, I lived at the foot of the second largest mountain in Arkansas. The ground made a sharp uphill turn about 50 yards behind the house, hence, a lot of bear activity. I did have a few neighbors but they were pretty scattered in the area so we tended to let our dogs (Beagle/Basset mix) run freely. These dogs daily ran the rabbits, usually several times a day. Mostly it was the common cottontail but we did have a few Swamp rabbits (they made very very long circles compared to the cottontails.)

One of my daughter's friends had pygmy goats and they appeared to be pretty fun pets so I decided to get one. We ended up with a young fixed male with his little horns. He was grey with a fairly thick coat of hair around the midsection. He got named Jeremiah, I figured with him being a browser, he would keep the briars and such cleaned up around the place. Jeremiah was all goat, climbing up on everything and everywhere. I also found out that they really like roses, like my very beautiful red climbing roses that were bloomed out so wonderfully. Yep, he mowed them down to the ground, oh well.

One day I came home from work to hear the dogs running a rabbit through the front yard. The excited dogs were howling like they do but just yards behind them, was Jeremiah bleating loudly as he tried to keep up with the dogs. Jeremiah was where ever those dogs were, as if he was one of them. So, several times a day, he would take off with the dogs and hunt rabbits, it was what they did. A couple months later, I saw one of our neighbors from down the road in town. He told me about seeing a little goat running rabbits with my dogs and not just once, like every time. I grinned and told him that it was just Jeremiah and that he thought that he was a dog.

One day I heard some big dogs barking treed on a squirrel behind the house, I realized that they were actually rottweilers from way down the road. I also could hear Jeremiah bleating treed with them and this worried me so I grabbed my 22 pistol and ran to them. Yep, there he was, jumping up and down just like the dogs at the tree. It was about then that the excited dogs realized that there was a goat with them and stopped barking at the squirrel and turned towards Jeremiah. I simply fired a shot over their heads and they disappeared, leaving Jeremiah wondering what happened.

Then one day, a young male bear wandered thru the front yard looking for food. I hurried outside to see what it was up to and Jeremiah hurried up beside me as I walked to where the bear had crossed. Suddenly, I heard one of the big plastic 55 gallon drums make a racket and I turned to see what it was. I had several of these lying about with a smallish hole cut in one end for the small dogs to get inside for a doghouse. Jeremiah was a pretty hefty little goat and he had somehow gotten inside! I guess he suddenly remembered that he was a goat and a small one at that. Now I was wondering about how I was going to get him back out but as I stepped up onto the porch, he was already beside me.

Another friend had some Corsican rams and offered a young one to be with Jeremiah. So I took the much bigger ram to the house and turned it loose. Jeremiah immediately sized the new guy up and went for a head butt. The ram obliged and knocked Jeremiah on his butt. Jeremiah staggered around for a moment or so and did it again with the same results. I guess he did these about six or seven times and then he quit. They were best friends after that until a mountain lion got the ram.

One day I had been out walking in the woods and was walking up the long driveway to the house. As I approached, I could see that the dogs were all sleeping and that Jeremiah was looking at me and then back to the dogs. He began bleating an alarm and got the dogs up, they were already barking booger barks with out knowing why. Jeremiah seemed satisfied that they were finally doing their jobs and relaxed, the dogs quit when they realized it was me and lay back down. Yeah, Jeremiah was quite the goat and quite the pet, still miss him.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
now that was a good goat great story

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love reading your stories and that was a good one. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing Jeremiah's story! :icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Enjoyed the writings of Dirtlooter. Keep um coming.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions