Gold In Them Hills

jimmyv

Jul 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Hi hows it goin? Me and a buddy went :goldbar: panning for our first time. What an adventure. Through the process of learning what it means to be a prospector, I acquired a few questions on gold and its location on earth.

Please let me know if there is a thread that has already discuses this topic.

1. Determining a river bed that would collect a heavy chemical element like gold is the elevation of the river a promising factor to consider?
Meaning if two rivers with different elevations, would the lower have more chances of collecting gold.

2. Taking core samples would be a reasonable way of telling if gold might be present. Does anyone know of mass drilling or excavation that was directed by a large company or more so, their methods of approach.
Meaning if a "hot spot" for gold was publicly known, wouldn't a large company deploy ample effort in finding it, or is gold more of a crapshoot?

THIS QUESTION - Arises because my buddy decided to collect earth at a river's edge, that was underneath a bridge. Moderately populated and constructed by the state of Idaho. In construction, would signs
of gold by the process of (digging and breaking earth) give the insight at finding gold, (would the state take samples of the dirt they were moving around) knowing
they were digging in a location or river that has a history of gold being present.

I suppose my intent is to understand, Why we choose that river. At that elevation? Has professionals surveyed and concluded the chances of gold hiding in that rock/soil? With current technology/knowledge, can a
highly educated professional look at a topographical map and pinpoint sections of terrain that would confidently yield gold or is it a situation of looking for running WATER or digging deep in presumed ancient river beds.

It's almost a trillion dollar question I know, and I am informed that Gold Lies Hidden In The Ocean but it's not worth it to go get it. Humans have been mining our particular claim since the 1800's, I believe the gold that was there is long gone but am excited to explore new locations, just skeptical that those locations have already been scouted.

Thanks for any input. Journey On

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rules I use, sometimes.

You never get all the gold.

Gold is where you find it.

There is no substitute for experience.

Keep shoveling.

Good luck.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm no gold miner for sure except for some rings I've found. So welcome to the forum from Mississippi. And hope you guys hit the mother load.
F24B1C04-F9D4-45FD-9E1F-D55CC9D68761.jpeg

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think as a newbie I would research areas near where you live - that have a history of producing placer gold (as opposed to hard rock mining) then get in with shovel gold pan , possibly a small sluicebox , maybe a dredge in a year or two . Get some experience researching accessible sites , and hands on gold panning and extraction methods- also ask a lot of questions on the gold prospecting forum here on Tnet ! Look into joining the GPAA ! They may hook you up with a ton of information about maps , member access sites etc. Go into this eyes wide open ! Gold prospecting is hard work ! Have Fun !!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Hi hows it goin? Me and a buddy went :goldbar: panning for our first time...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard jimmyv! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread