Well, son is up to 20 plus on the poisonous snakes around house
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Well, son is up to 20 plus on the poisonous snakes around house

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    12245 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Well, son is up to 20 plus on the poisonous snakes around house

My son and his father-n-law have gotten 19 copperheads and two ground rattlers immediately around the house so far. This has caused them to not allow the 3 year old and the 5 ear old to go out and play at all. they have a large raised deck that is about a foot off the ground plus the flower garden along the edge of it. They had killed three on the deck itself and one in front of the front door. Several were around the swing/slide set where the boys play a lot.

I have convinced them to purchase several of the metal minnow traps that are open at both ends. My father has used them for years, placing them along the base of a wall of his home and his shop. the snake simply crawls inside and can't get out. very simple, no bait required and easy to relocate or kill the snake. The minnow trap is pretty much idiot proof as long as you place it an area that a snake will travel, like along the edge of a building. Nothing is hurt unless you choose to hurt it so you can release harmless snakes, toads, lizards or whatever else gets in it. We have even caught a few mice.

My daughter-n-law let out the two small dogs to do their business two days ago and they immediately began barking at something underneath the boy's plastic play lawnmower. It was another big copperhead. If a snake makes the mistake of crawling thru the hog pen, it will pay the price as it becomes food. The boys know that the snakes have been out there but still want to play outside. They know to fear the snakes but it can be so easy for them to be playing and just not see one until it strikes. I am not as agile or see as well as I once did but if I catch the poisonous snakes in one of those traps, I will usually take them farther into the mountains and turn them loose where they are less likely to come into human contact. To me, only an idiot walks around at night with out a good light around here. The copperhead is not as life threatening as most poisonous snakes but they can still ruin several days to a month or more. The big Timber rattlers are another story all together.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    33726 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Here we have three kinds of snakes. A live snake, a dead snake and a stick that looks like one. And I agree about harmless snakes like the King, Rat and Black racers. I leave them alone. I ran over a rat snake with the mower around 3 weeks ago and hated it.
    travel, GB1, Kace and 3 others like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2993 times
    dirtlooter: Do you still sell Moon shine?
    dirtlooter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6473 times
    Metal Detecting
    You have an awful situation there. Are you seeing the babies? They are the size of and look like a nightcrawler. Wish I had a good idea for you. I don't.
    GB1, Kace and dirtlooter like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    18166 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    we have seen 4 copper heads i shot three the other got away
    audemus jura nostra defendere

neque deditionem

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2993 times
    Remember: Snakes taste great and they are free food. I am hungry.

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    18166 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    Remember: Snakes taste great and they are free food. I am hungry.
    Samuel is there no other food around
    audemus jura nostra defendere

neque deditionem

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4518 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Dirt...I was told to cut down a bunch of cedar trees at the farm in SWMO and run them thru the wood chipper... then outline my yard with the chips. The old timers said that snakes, mice and crawling insects wouldn't cross the cedar chips.

I did that...lining the yard and also around the cabin, smoke house and shop...I have a good size pond/small lake within the yard area also that I lined around. I don't know if that's what keeps all the snakes away or if it's because I keep the yard cut really short but I've never seen any kind of snake, brown recluse spider (ick) or mouse in the yard since I started doing that. I do it every two years.

Kray is right on to ask about those baby snakes... kids think they are worms. They also bite and hang on injecting venom continuously unlike an adult snake that strikes and recoils. I'd put some sticky traps under that deck.

I feel bad for you guys and hope nobody gets bit...

Good Luck To All Of You!

Kace

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    12245 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    dirtlooter: Do you still sell Moon shine?
    no, don't sell it. have walked up several stills over the years (before game cameras) and got very nervous as I hurried off. it is easy to get around here if you want some bad enough. most of the old time bootleggers are gone but there is always shine being made somewhere.
    Kray Gelder and GB1 like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    12245 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    You have an awful situation there. Are you seeing the babies? They are the size of and look like a nightcrawler. Wish I had a good idea for you. I don't.
    Well, my son and I have seen plenty of baby copperheads, I learned how to handle poisonous snakes back in the early 70s, actually used some for fishing before I knew what a plastic worm was, always respect the business end and handle with care. I would sneak up to a big hole of water on the river and flip it out to the middle. I could see bigger fish racing out to get it, lot of fun and good eats. most of our outside animals (cats and dogs) would end up snake bit sometime or another. lost several cats that way and one dog. most puffed up really bad from a copperhead but survived but the timber rattlers were just bad news. ground rattlers are a lot worse venom wise than a copperhead as well and they tend to strike more quickly.
    Kray Gelder and GB1 like this.

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    1982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sounds like the home supports a good food supply for the snakes. Mice=buffet
    GB1 and Kace like this.

us
    Oct 2011
    179 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Get some guinea hens out there!
    GB1 and Kace like this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4893 times
    man I love the north. Closest poisonous snake to me is a timber rattler, and they warn you most of the time they are there. luckily they are in only a select few areas that have enough rocks and cave like stuff they can beat the frost line in, mostly closer to pa.
    GB1, Kace and Nitric like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    26819 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Please be safe, those snakes are a real problem.
    Kace and GB1 like this.

RTR
    Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    11642 times
    With that many snakes I wouldn't think twice about getting a >> The Mongoose - Snake Killers as Pets - Pets Cute and Docile
    GB1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links