Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand that there is a time and a place for nearly everything but....... When I hunt an area, I usually choose the set up or program that I am going to use. I have the Deus with HF coil and the 600 NOX so I have various freq options to consider, even the multi freq. I also understand that no one set up or program is going to be a fix all or get it all program...too many variables involved at any given spot. BUT IT SURE WOULD BE NICE IF THERE WAS! So I see all of these tests where a particular machine would only hit certain targets when set up specifically this particular way or that way. And I wonder how often anyone would actually do it that way in the first place.

So this helps to explain why most spots are never truly hunted out by any one particular machine. So to me, if one has a machine or several that enable you to hunt a spot in one set up or program and then you are able to by the nature of altering your machine(s) in the various ways that we can, then one should in theory be able to find things missed by your previous program. To me this means that one has to be willing to go back to these sites and hunt possibly with extreme changes to find some of the missed targets. Having said all of that, I can easily see where having two or more high quality different machines can really pay off (eventually) because of being even more versatile. I also feel that there is no perfect machine that perfectly does every thing but a particular machine may be the best (at the moment) for your applications and so you like it the best (right now.)

So does any of this make any sense? I was taking a break from changing out a wax seal on a commode in very tight quarters LOL. Plus I can get very confused with what was done or not done with various machines in comparison air tests. I do love the KISS principal. Venting in the bathroom!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just gridding a spot at a different angle can unmask some targets that were missed on previous grids. Sometimes I sweep my detector and think I am getting a signal due to an acorn, pine cone, or thick week stalk so I dismiss it as a false signal and drive on. I am a coin shooter mainly and do not care to investigate most jumpy signals. The majority of the time I do try to verify a target by swinging in an X pattern, which has either told me to leave treasure in the ground (my mistake) or it's trash and move on. I hear the mantra of "dig it all and you won't miss a thing", but I rather not trash a site by digging an ungodly amount of plugs just to pull all the trash out. I'll leave those for the next decade when I return to those permissions, especially if I've already gridded it in three distinct directions. I see many people here who like trying the newer machines, hoping to find new technology to revitalize previously pounded sites. I for one do not chase rainbows, nor do i change just for the sake of change. Heck, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am content with my machine and have over 4 years experience with it. Maybe I'm just tired of learning too many new things.

If detecting were too easy (the one machine to do it all) it would not be as challenging and everyone and their brother would be out there killing it daily, leaving less good targets for the rest of us die-hard dirt fisherman. I have lived most of my life just making enough for the needs with very little left over for the wants. Even though I am no longer in that situation financially I still tend to look at price to performance or utility when I am going to make a purchase and normally buy used over new. Old habits are hard to break, and I would like to retire some day and only work if I want to and not because I have to.

Hope you get your toilet fixed soon.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I too buy a lot of things used (previously broken in) and why not? in process of replacing a section of the floor, not quite as bad as it first looked but still going to be tomorrow before I get it finished. (way too many irons in the fire right now.) This has been a very challenging thing for me, years ago it would not have been a second thought about what and how to fix it but the strokes in my past have robbed me of a lot of knowledge. it is what it is and it could always be a lot worse.

kavan

Jul 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most spots are never truly hunted out by any one particular machine

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always said that different machines and coils are like different tools for different jobs. Period....now, having said that, some things have changed as most everything does. I recently bought the EQ 800, because it does combine 3 other machines I have into one. Before it was "which machine", single Freq of 15?....or 3Khz, 7.5Khz, or 18.75Khz by changing the coil? or FBS,? now it's only which coil for this site, the stock or 6". The other detectors are really good detectors, but...being the simple guy that I am, I now only need make a simple choice.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure my comments apply but I only know the machine I have. I bought a used Minelab Safari (multi freq)off Craigslist and I LOVE it. Yes it’s slow, as a newbie I need to be going slow anyway. I don’t see a need to ever replace my safari unless I need something deeper at some point.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me, if you are really happy with a machine, stick to it and enjoy it. I primarily went to the deus due to the weight issue and will probably get the 6 inch coil for the nox for the same reason. I do not plan to ever buy another detector, I have plenty now. Now, if I go to a yard sale or something like that and I find one at a ridiculous low price, I might buy it for others to use. Sometimes simpler is just the way to go. less problems and usually a happier person

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing how others have done well going over old dirt with a new machine I had the opportunity to re check a beautiful driveway to several 18th and 19th century houses. It is across the river from one of my favorite sites that has produced many military buttons, seated silvers and large coppers dating back to the 1700s. This driveway never produced anything but modern clad. I suspect its been hit hard over the years. I worked it hard for about two hours with the nox 600. It was 85 degrees in the shade and the mosquitoes are unlike anything I've ever encountered. There was a black cloud of 40-50 around me at all times. I was wearing a thick hooded sweatshirt and military fatigues and rubber boots and was drenched in bug spray. The tiger mosquitoes were able to bite through the clothing and kept finding spots where the bug spray wasnt' thick enough. I found two clad coins that were prbably dropped since the last time I searched the drive and one large cent that is toasted beyond ID. It wasn't at a great depth maybe 9 inches but gave a very iffy signal. Still not sure why the signal was so bad. A large cent at 9 inches should be pretty easy for almost any machine. I only did that site because I was staying at the house and knew the history of the place and had found so much nearby. I was quite put off by the experience. Bottom line for me, if its not there you can't find it. Sometimes you just have to beat it to death to satisfy your curiosity.
I also passed a construction site where they had stripped off a parking lot down to the gravel base underneath. It is on a road that was established in colonial times. I thought my timing and location was pretty good and I hit it long and hard. I came up empty handed. I am on a streak of tough luck recently. I feel like I am doing whats worked well in the past but not getting anywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions