Maybe I Think Too Much - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Maybe I Think Too Much

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    21079 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    once, while helping superman out I had to find and remove some krytonite
    Red or Green??
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7197 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Wow, Kray, we've never looked at our shark teeth under UV light. We do occasionally hunt at night if low tide occurs then, so now its off to eBay to look for UV flashlights!
    They really worked for me. I'm not sure if the UV light works so good on teeth that have been weathered and tossed about in a stream, or on the beach. I think whatever element causes the glow gets leached out a bit. This particular site was freshly exposed. The cool thing was, these teeth in daylight, or with a regular flashlight were the same color as the mud and clay, so you had to search for the shape itself, but that fluorescent glow was unreal. If just the tiniest portion of the tooth was showing, the UV would find it. The largest meg in my photos, I found at night, and only a sliver of one edge was showing. I never would have seen it during the day.

I might suggest you try one of wal mart's 5 dollar UV lights first on the teeth you've already found. In the dark. The 100 Led UV flashlights lights are around 30 bucks, if I remember right. They work well, the $5 ones don't have the range. I was spotting teeth in the dark 20 feet away with the big light. Oh, and a few creepy crawlies too.

Wear the yellow glasses! I went without because they didn't fit over my regular glasses, and burned my eyes a bit. Really. Let me know if you try it.
    Megalodon likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7197 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringtyer View Post
    It was an interesting work life. While working for the local power generating company (now Duke Power), I did a lot of interesting thing including nuclear power plant QA, teaching nuclear codes and standards, being a metallurgical technician, managing the continuous emissions monitoring system for compliance to Federal air quality standards, and, finally, managing a program of statistically driven maintenance program for high energy steam piping (not something you wanted to go "bang" in the middle of the night).

After I was "downsized", I started on my most significant career as a high school teacher. I taught Drafting, Engineering, and Architecture courses for 15 years. While I think my jobs at the power company were important, nothing was as important or meaningful as teaching young people how to create good mechanical drawings and to use their brains and investigative powers to solve complex problems. I was always proud that my students consistently had the highest test scores in the state. More importantly, I was able to encourage many young ladies (including both of my daughters) into the field of engineering, the hard sciences (biochemistry and chemistry for example) and other traditionally male dominated jobs. I get great joy from notes I receive from my students telling me their success stories.

I have to admit that one of my favorite jobs was working as an on-the-air personality (disc jockey) when I was in high school and college. Way too much fun. Sometimes I wish I had stayed in that business.

I could go on for pages but no one really needs all that detail.
    Good for you. I admire folks who succeed in leaving a positive mark on the world. It's exceptional.
    RustyGold likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2524 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    They really worked for me. I'm not sure if the UV light works so good on teeth that have been weathered and tossed about in a stream, or on the beach. I think whatever element causes the glow gets leached out a bit. This particular site was freshly exposed. The cool thing was, these teeth in daylight, or with a regular flashlight were the same color as the mud and clay, so you had to search for the shape itself, but that fluorescent glow was unreal. If just the tiniest portion of the tooth was showing, the UV would find it. The largest meg in my photos, I found at night, and only a sliver of one edge was showing. I never would have seen it during the day.

I might suggest you try one of wal mart's 5 dollar UV lights first on the teeth you've already found. In the dark. The 100 Led UV flashlights lights are around 30 bucks, if I remember right. They work well, the $5 ones don't have the range. I was spotting teeth in the dark 20 feet away with the big light. Oh, and a few creepy crawlies too.

Wear the yellow glasses! I went without because they didn't fit over my regular glasses, and burned my eyes a bit. Really. Let me know if you try it.
    Thanks for the tips Kray! I found a US seller of these 100 LED UV lights on eBay who has sold about 700 of them and it was only 11.75 so I've got one coming. Thanks also for the tip about the protective glasses. The teeth we hunt are mostly very freshly eroded out of the Calvert Cliffs and have nice sharp edges. My wife actually does very well with teeth embedded in the clay with just a little bit exposed like you described. There is so much competition out there, even at night, that teeth rarely have time to roll in the surf before recovery.

We see plenty of creepy crawlies too even without the UV light so this will be interesting!

Thanks again!
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7197 times
    Metal Detecting
    Cool! The Calvert Cliffs deposit is about the same age as my former hot spot, I think, and has a lot of fossils common to those I had found. The UV thing was my trade secret, if it works, now it's yours. Best of luck. By the way, the 6 Alkaline AA batteries are good for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours continuous use, before it starts to dim.
    Last edited by Kray Gelder; Jul 31, 2018 at 05:04 AM.
    Megalodon likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7197 times
    Metal Detecting
    Oh, wait until you see a whale tooth with UV. The brownish/black business end is a bright yellow/white!
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    Executive Director of Nothing

May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    747 times
    In my past life I worked in a toothpaste factory screwing lids on toothpaste tubes.

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    833 times
    Dang! I started this thread to find out about toxic or radioactive finds and it turned into quite an interesting read. I appreciate the conversation.

Unfortunately, the thread took a bad turn when all this talk about UV lights came up. My life was quite complete with the things I already own but no, let's not leave well enough alone. Now I have to go find a good UV light so I can play around with that. Not only do I have to research and buy a new flashlight, I have to research what fluoresces under UV. The upside of this is that I have the time to do both.

Also, for today's useless trivia question: What kind of threads are used on a toothpaste tube?
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

Feb 2017
    610 times
    -Radioactive? I dont think so only chance would be a watch with radium dial. Have never found one.
    -Toxic? Quite likely. Old lead by the pound, white broze (arsenic) buttons. I also should wear more gloves when giong at old copper and brass with chemical to clean it.
    -Other? Not an American thing, yet other parts of the world is full with old unexploded ordinance. thank god, I dont like war relics so chances are few that I blow myself up one day.

Greets Namxat
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7197 times
    Metal Detecting
    Dang! I started this thread to find out about toxic or radioactive finds and it turned into quite an interesting read. I appreciate the conversation.

Unfortunately, the thread took a bad turn when all this talk about UV lights came up. My life was quite complete with the things I already own but no, let's not leave well enough alone. Now I have to go find a good UV light so I can play around with that. Not only do I have to research and buy a new flashlight, I have to research what fluoresces under UV. The upside of this is that I have the time to do both.

Also, for today's useless trivia question: What kind of threads are used on a toothpaste tube?
    Sorry about that. I still need to put a Geiger counter on those teeth. LOL

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2524 times
    OK, back to dangerous finds... I find the occasional syringe on public beaches; should probably wear gloves since I do pick them up to dispose of in the county's sharps disposal drum.

Oh, and there was a live confederate Read shell I found 30 years ago with the plunger rod still sticking out of the fuse.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    2138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Attachment 1617300Attachment 1617301Attachment 1617302Attachment 1617299A couple of years ago I found a new subdivision going in. They had to excavate large runoff ponds, and they cut through an old undisturbed clay layer estimated age 20-30 million years old. It was loaded with shark teeth, and whale fossils, as well as other sea creature fossil. They spread this clay over the entire site, and I spent several months collecting shark teeth and fossils there. They were not creek tumbled finds, but had lain undisturbed and buried since they settled to the bottom of what used to be the shallow sea covering the east coast lowcountry. Anyway, I discovered at home one day, that they glowed under UV light. I bought a 100 LED UV flashlight, and hunted the site at night. The teeth glowed a bright yellow/green, and stood out like beacons in the dark. I never tested them with a Geiger counter, but I suspect the glow is from uranium, absorbed over millions of years.

Didn't intend to step on your thread, but most of these were found with a UV light.
    NOW THAT IS COOL ! that would be something I would never forget. if they are radio active would you even want to come in contact with them ? and would they be dangerous with them in your living area ? not pertaining to metal detecting but cool none the less.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    2138 times
    oh and by the way ? I've been told that I think too much also. you would think that by now I would be a genius. ha !

us
    May 2018
    CO, 4 corners
    ML Equinox 800
    62 times
    While out firewood cutting, one day I found a site that was filled with old syringe needles. I'm sure they're still there because I wasn't taking any chances digging through that pile of dirt & sticking myself. I don't think kevlar gloves would protect from such a small needles either so left them alone.

The town I live in is built upon uranium mill tailings... How dangerous is that?
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / XP ORX / MI-6 /
    7445 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

If imported, I woud say metric. If USA manufactured, I would say Standard.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links