Picked up a long handle sand scoop...the angle is different and I'm confused.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My previous sand scoop had an angle of more than 90° between shaft and scoop opening, like this stock photo. I simply pushed it forward and down into the sand with my foot.
Sample sand scoop.jpg

The one below I was just given as a gift. The quality is excellent, 35" length, but I'm confused. The angle between the shaft and scoop opening is less than 90°. This makes it basically impossible to push down and forward with my foot. Am I supposed to pull this scoop towards me or something? Is there a technique using only one hand to get any leverage with this? ???

2018-07-31 21.15.20.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
top scoop is excellent one
bottom - not so good for the ruff TH'er - its made more for real soft sand and fresh drops that are 4 ins. or less down
put your foot on it in wet sand and you'll most likely crush it - its a good scoop for kids and some women cause its
half the weight probably - its gonna take you 2-3 more scoops to get target prob too
when I started out water hunting - had one like your new one - totally destroyed it hunting in rocky areas
I use one like your top one - RTG - mine is travel model - heavy gauge aluminum with a stainless steel lip
it takes a beating and holds up great

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd scoop is a dry sand scoop, it is not designed for digging in wet sand, made to scoop in dry loose beach sand.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both types. The first one, and the one with which you are familiar, is a wet sand and water hunting scoop and it is designed to be used as you describe. The second scoop is for dry sand and intended to be pulled toward the signal, not pushed with a foot. It is sometimes called a drag scoop and sifts fast in dry, and especially powdery, sand. If you look at some you-tube videos of competition hunts on dry sand, you will see the latter scoop in common use. It comes in various handle lengths and in steel or stainless. I think mine is 15 or 16" and I like it for the dry sand. I believe your's is the 29" handle length. These are sold by borderlineengineering on ebay.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread