You never know what youll find!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree18Likes
  • 6 Post By RTH
  • 3 Post By Nevada Prospector
  • 2 Post By chub
  • 1 Post By RevAndy
  • 2 Post By Duckshot
  • 2 Post By Duckshot
  • 1 Post By chub
  • 1 Post By Duckshot

Thread: You never know what youll find!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    RTH
    us
    Sep 2015
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
    92 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

You never know what you'll find!!

Came across this article and I had to share. One man's trash is an historical treasure!!

This is from today's MSN.com

Inside a Dumpster, California Man Finds Trove of Ancient Books Owned by Thomas Jefferson

us
    Aug 2017
    Southern Oregon
    Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
    157 times
    Relic & Nugget hunting, but I do it all
    Generally speaking, people don't have enough respect for books. Maybe I need to take up dumpster diving if I can get finds like that.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1408 times
    ABE is a good site to quickly google if you are standing at a flea market and need a quick idea of value. I read once on reddit or somewhere about a student that used to frequent an antique / historic book store. Would write down the edition, price etc. take a few pics then go home and list the books on ebay. starting price a few bucks above the retail in the shop. I understand it helped with the $ through college.
    True or not - great story. Sounded quite plausable.

Chub
    Kray Gelder and RevAndy like this.

us
    My hope is in God

Jun 2018
    RI
    Teknetic 4000
    64 times
    Metal Detecting
    My son visits Salvation Army stores, Savers and Goodwill and pick up every music tour t-shirt he could find, put on E-Bay. Makes a nice chunk of change every month!
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    Well at my age I am still asking myself, "To be or not to be."

You have a most blessed day............

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    5674 times
    That's incredible, finding anything new from T.J.

I don't sell on eBay but I do fill my saw collection from thrift store handsaws. Picked up one today while dropping some stuff off at a habitat for humanity re-store. Paid a buck fifty for a generic warranted superior medallion saw. Got home and started cleaning the plate- turned out to be etched "Winchester No. 10". Its an uncommon saw from about 1900 in decent shape, still has a nib and straight as a line. Its probably easily worth ten to twenty times what I paid for it.

But I ain't a seller.
    coinman123 and chub like this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

Apr 2017
    1408 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post

I don't sell on eBay but I do fill my saw collection from thrift store handsaws. Picked up one today while dropping some stuff off at a habitat for humanity re-store. Paid a buck fifty for a generic warranted superior medallion saw. Got home and started cleaning the plate- turned out to be etched "Winchester No. 10". Its an uncommon saw from about 1900 in decent shape, still has a nib and straight as a line. Its probably easily worth ten to twenty times what I paid for it.

But I ain't a seller.
    Sounds like something Id like. I love old tools.How about a pic? I have a thing for hammers....and I collect bee smokers....used to have 120 vintage model aircraft engines....

Chub

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    5674 times
    Here are a couple-

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...lbums4996.html

The first is a J. Holden patent handle of uncertain manufacture. Note the nib on the back of the blade near the toe and the third horn above the handle for two handed use.

That Disston is a no. 7 , made between 1917 and 1927. It also has the nib which Disston dropped from production in 1928. This photo was before I cleaned the plate. It turned out nice with a clear etch but has circular scratches cause some dork(me) tried using 220 grit first.

But, it ain't Thomas Jefferson's books. That one heck of thing to find destination for a landfill.

In God We Trust

Apr 2017
    1408 times
    Very nice!

Chub

us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    5711 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post

But I ain't a seller.
    Nice find. I love those old handsaws, I got around 10 of them hanging in my barn. I found two Disston handsaws at the dump last weekend, both dating from around 1896-1917 based on the medallion. Can't believe the stuff people throw out.
    2014-2017 Finds
    1700s Sundial
    165? french liard
    1696 1774 1730s 17?? copper
    1723 irish penny
    1730 KG coin toy
    2x AU 1803 LC
    1722 1/2 Penny
    1779, 1781 Real, ? 1 Real
    NJ Copper 1786
    1805,1838 LC
    26 Coppers 17 colonial
    175 1720-1850 buttons
    40 Musket Balls
    1906 1912 1934 dog Lics
    16 1700s Buckles 1 silver
    2 1700s spigot
    3 Thimbles 1 silver
    Cleaning Finds:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...ns-relics.html

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    5674 times
    Ture dat Coinman123. Mining the dumps is an old hobo tradition.

The cincher for hand saws is that the pre-electric motor hand saws make the hardened tooth un-sharpenable hand saws of today look like somebody spit on them. They do not cut worth a duce. I figure I can cut about 150'-200' of two inch stock with one of today's "miracle saws" before it gets a dumpster toss. With a pre WWII saws the blade is not hardened, it is tensioned. Cut about a hundered feet with an old pre-WWII saw and instead of throwing the saw away you just kiss it with your lovin' file and go back to cutting.

And, with that shiny brass H. Disston medallion, I will look pretty using it.
    coinman123 and chub like this.

In God We Trust

Apr 2017
    1408 times
    Is it just me or are drill bits also rubbish these days? Even with the correct cutting speed they seem to dull after a few holes in mild steel? I use cutting fluid on pretty much every hole these days...

chub
    coinman123 likes this.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    5674 times
    RTH, i apologize. We got way off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    Is it just me or are drill bits also rubbish these days? Even with the correct cutting speed they seem to dull after a few holes in mild steel? I use cutting fluid on pretty much every hole these days...

chub
    Hah-ha, depends on what you are drilling.

If you know how to sharpen the bit you can still use a cheap junk bit, and you will know you wasted money on a cheap junk bit cause you will have to sharpen it a lot!

I recommend Nicholson files.
    coinman123 likes this.

In God We Trust

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links