You never know what you'll find!!

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Generally speaking, people don't have enough respect for books. Maybe I need to take up dumpster diving if I can get finds like that.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABE is a good site to quickly google if you are standing at a flea market and need a quick idea of value. I read once on reddit or somewhere about a student that used to frequent an antique / historic book store. Would write down the edition, price etc. take a few pics then go home and list the books on ebay. starting price a few bucks above the retail in the shop. I understand it helped with the $ through college.
True or not - great story. Sounded quite plausable.

Chub

RevAndy

Jun 16, 2018
RI
Detector(s) used
Teknetic 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son visits Salvation Army stores, Savers and Goodwill and pick up every music tour t-shirt he could find, put on E-Bay. Makes a nice chunk of change every month!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible, finding anything new from T.J.

I don't sell on eBay but I do fill my saw collection from thrift store handsaws. Picked up one today while dropping some stuff off at a habitat for humanity re-store. Paid a buck fifty for a generic warranted superior medallion saw. Got home and started cleaning the plate- turned out to be etched "Winchester No. 10". Its an uncommon saw from about 1900 in decent shape, still has a nib and straight as a line. Its probably easily worth ten to twenty times what I paid for it.

But I ain't a seller. :icon_thumright:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't sell on eBay but I do fill my saw collection from thrift store handsaws. Picked up one today while dropping some stuff off at a habitat for humanity re-store. Paid a buck fifty for a generic warranted superior medallion saw. Got home and started cleaning the plate- turned out to be etched "Winchester No. 10". Its an uncommon saw from about 1900 in decent shape, still has a nib and straight as a line. Its probably easily worth ten to twenty times what I paid for it.

Sounds like something Id like. I love old tools.How about a pic? I have a thing for hammers....and I collect bee smokers....used to have 120 vintage model aircraft engines....

Chub

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple-

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/86916-albums4996.html

The first is a J. Holden patent handle of uncertain manufacture. Note the nib on the back of the blade near the toe and the third horn above the handle for two handed use.

That Disston is a no. 7 , made between 1917 and 1927. It also has the nib which Disston dropped from production in 1928. This photo was before I cleaned the plate. It turned out nice with a clear etch but has circular scratches cause some dork(me) tried using 220 grit first.

But, it ain't Thomas Jefferson's books. That one heck of thing to find destination for a landfill.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!

Chub

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice find. I love those old handsaws, I got around 10 of them hanging in my barn. I found two Disston handsaws at the dump last weekend, both dating from around 1896-1917 based on the medallion. Can't believe the stuff people throw out.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ture dat Coinman123. Mining the dumps is an old hobo tradition.

The cincher for hand saws is that the pre-electric motor hand saws make the hardened tooth un-sharpenable hand saws of today look like somebody spit on them. They do not cut worth a duce. I figure I can cut about 150'-200' of two inch stock with one of today's "miracle saws" before it gets a dumpster toss. With a pre WWII saws the blade is not hardened, it is tensioned. Cut about a hundered feet with an old pre-WWII saw and instead of throwing the saw away you just kiss it with your lovin' file and go back to cutting.

And, with that shiny brass H. Disston medallion, I will look pretty using it. :laughing7:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me or are drill bits also rubbish these days? Even with the correct cutting speed they seem to dull after a few holes in mild steel? I use cutting fluid on pretty much every hole these days...

chub

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTH, i apologize. We got way off topic.

Is it just me or are drill bits also rubbish these days? Even with the correct cutting speed they seem to dull after a few holes in mild steel? I use cutting fluid on pretty much every hole these days...

chub

Hah-ha, depends on what you are drilling.

If you know how to sharpen the bit you can still use a cheap junk bit, and you will know you wasted money on a cheap junk bit cause you will have to sharpen it a lot!

I recommend Nicholson files.:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread