Seeking .22 rifle target rifle knowledge... building one

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I believe I see a bit of a gold ring towards the front of the scope. Stubby sucker of a barrel and Fat! Ahh what fun! Thank you for sharing!.................63bkpkr

How does it shoot at what yardage? Does it like a particular ammo?? Fun to see it exist's!

The backstory is that it was a "spare" 10/22 from a build that just did not work out. I was planning on selling it, but WA state law requires a private sale to go through a FFL, meaning that for a low priced gun, it does not make sense to sell. Instead of selling this 10/22 for what would amount to about $50, I decided to throw more money at it. That's what 10/22 owners do, right? Dump another $600 (chassis, SBR stamp, barrel work, scope, enough Norrell Moly Resin to shoot ten of these as that's apparently the smallest amount that you can order, lightweight stock, etc.) into a $200 rifle in order to save some money. :laughing7:

Scope is a Leupold FX-I 4x. I didn't want to spend that much on the glass, but it is about as small and as light as you can get for magnified optics, and I wanted small and light. I had a guy chop my factory barrel for me because it was $100 cheaper than the one company selling what I wanted was offering, and that company's barrel is not known as a shooter. There are other companies that make good barrels, but none seem to do the length that I wanted, and I wanted that particular length for a particular reason.

The only testing done so far has been offhand at 10 yards with crap ammo. Testing will only be done with crap ammo, as it was built to shoot only crap ammo. After a few 30-rounders, I've concluded that it shoots about as well as I hold at that distance. I'll bench it when my schedule allows for something approximating leisure time. I'm not expecting miracles from junk ammo through a cut-down factory barrel, but those Ruger barrels are not bad at all. I'll bet that it will continue to shoot as well as I hold at whatever distance, at least offhand. It will eventually be used out to 100 yards, perhaps a bit further, as it's meant to take over for a MkIII that is just not quite doing the job at those distances.

Yes Dave... I got my build... built. But i still have some things to do and much to learn. I'm waiting for the weather to break here to continue data collection and further ammo tryouts. I think your project is "1" thing and mine another possibly...? But hell I'm probably wrong as I don't know much about firearms. Did you build your firearm off a Ruger 10/22 basis?

Look closely at the receiver above the chassis that it's mounted in, and also the notch in the (factory) barrel where the rear sight originally sat. Click on the picture to enlarge it. The color is weird because I shot the receiver, barrel, and chassis in Moly Resin, flat gray-black. (Excellent product for the DIY-er by the way.) Your rifle and my rifle started as the same rifle. That's what I love about these damned things. The sky's the limit.

Our projects have two very different aims. You want the ultimate in rimfire accuracy, and you chose well. I want a stocked rimfire pistol with a suppressor that doesn't randomly unscrew itself, and I chose mostly well. (The damned suppressor still unscrews itself sometimes.) I provided my build as an example of just how crazy you can get with these things. Think of my approach as a very powerful, very quiet airgun that doesn't require any gas and doesn't wreck scopes. That's pretty much what I wanted. I would be extremely surprised if mine grouped anywhere near 1.5" at 50 yards, regardless of the ammo...but again, I'm an offhand shooter for the most part, so it's the quality of life stuff that makes a difference for me.

Nice looking rifle, BTW.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limitool, the testing I did was for the purposes of selecting the best ammo for plinking..I.E was I actually getting better accuracy with more expensive ammo?

In my case the answer was no. If I had gotten crazy and bought a $100 box of .22 ammo...who knows what it would have done.

When I say shooting off a bench, I didn’t mean I was shooting a bench gun.

This might annoy people, but when I want to punch tightly grouped holes, I grab my bone stock $175 Marlin .17HMR sporting a 17 power el cheapo BSA scope, and a box of $9.99 ammo.

It has an incredibly horrible trigger..it’s really a struggle. However it shoots dime sized groups at 100 yards all day long.
There will be an occasional flier due to wind, but it’s pretty repeatable. Many times the holes are all touching which is a pretty tight group given the small diameter of the bullet.

This is what my 10 year old daughter was able to do with little experience. You can see it wanted to group. Looks like she canted the scope. Trigger control is a hard thing to learn (especially with a bad trigger).

5F2EE3BA-A228-450E-9AB4-9B65211BBC2F.jpeg

Really pissed off the shooters last time I went to the local turkey shoot. Won a ham at the unlimited centerfire 100 yard contest.

I understand these bench 10/22’s are a hobby kind of like drag racing air cooled VW’s. It can get expensive quickly.

Last edited:

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I am looking at getting a 10/22 for yet a different reason. A barn gun. For varmints. Not going to do anything to it.Will buy it with SS barrel and Syn stock from factory. Will keep it on atv while doing chores and cutting firewood. Otherwise it will be hanging in my barn/shop. It will be more like a tool than a toy. The next toy will be an AR.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be out done, my son (at 10 years old) shot this 3 shot group at 200 yards with a hunting rifle (Rem 700 .270). To be fair it does have a worked trigger and was shooting hand loads. It too wants to group.

AE3A61E6-294C-4BEE-8F54-221B760C02E9.jpeg

We debated shooting another 2 shots, but I figured the target would be good to hang on his wall as is.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at getting a 10/22 for yet a different reason. A barn gun. For varmints. Not going to do anything to it.Will buy it with SS barrel and Syn stock from factory. Will keep it on atv while doing chores and cutting firewood. Otherwise it will be hanging in my barn/shop. It will be more like a tool than a toy. The next toy will be an AR.

For me the next Ruger will be a Mark ## series pistol. They are tack drivers in the right hands and are not picky eaters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread