Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello members...

I've always wanted to build a world class .22 target semi-auto rifle and was just wondering if anyone on this site has any knowledge or experience in this field. I've ordered some of the major components already and am going to start with my choices. I know I'm late in asking but am still trying to learn.

I'm building on a Ruger 10/22 basis. I own a great Ruger 10/22 and it's very accurate. I've been experimenting the last year with expensive ammo from Eley, RWS and just ordered a brick of Lapua x-act.

There's probably not a lot of us but I just thought I'd ask. I'll share what I ordered and plan if there are folks interested.

Thanks, Brad

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rimfirecentral.com will be your best friend throughout your build.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Gunbroker.com just put a vid up about building on the 10/22 platform. I love .22's...have about 20 in my collection...but I tend to lean more toward the rare and unusual ones. 😁

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There Limitool,
It all depends on what you wish to accomplish once all the parts are fitted together, like tight groups on paper or food on the table. As you know Ruger makes a drop in trigger upgrade for that rifle and there are many companies that make various components for it as well, like high precision barrels both heavy and light in weight.

Then it also depends on if you will be shooting the rifle frequently for several hours, such as when attempting to return a hillside to being safe for cattle to walk on without breaking a leg in squirrel holes. That will take thousands of rounds in just a few weeks worth of firing! Barrels overheat and the group starts to wander under heavy shooting in situations like this.

For "Long Range" target practice, and the venerable .22 long rifle is capable of 'long' distance shooting, you will also want a solid top mount matched with solid mounting scope rings along with a high quality scope. My brother started with 10/22 then added a Volquartsen barrel to it and it did very well. Volquartsen makes Many replacement/improvement parts for the 10/22.

Whatever you do have fun! Attached is a picture of a different Ruger 'Project' that I started.

DSCN0526.JPG

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There Limitool,
It all depends on what you wish to accomplish once all the parts are fitted together, like tight groups on paper or food on the table. As you know Ruger makes a drop in trigger upgrade for that rifle and there are many companies that make various components for it as well, like high precision barrels both heavy and light in weight.

Then it also depends on if you will be shooting the rifle frequently for several hours, such as when attempting to return a hillside to being safe for cattle to walk on without breaking a leg in squirrel holes. That will take thousands of rounds in just a few weeks worth of firing! Barrels overheat and the group starts to wander under heavy shooting in situations like this.

For "Long Range" target practice, and the venerable .22 long rifle is capable of 'long' distance shooting, you will also want a solid top mount matched with solid mounting scope rings along with a high quality scope. My brother started with 10/22 then added a Volquartsen barrel to it and it did very well. Volquartsen makes Many replacement/improvement parts for the 10/22.

Whatever you do have fun! Attached is a picture of a different Ruger 'Project' that I started.

View attachment 1619239

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No expert here...
My biggest concern is the chamber throat. A bullet that has to jump and or rattle before engaging the rifling is going to be canted and therefore be losing accuracy from the start.
SAMMI specs allow plenty of slop.
This link might make more sense...
https://bisonballistics.com/articles/an-introduction-to-rifle-chambers

Once you are happy with headspace ,trigger work or replacement would (i.m.o.) be next. Lots of options for a Ruger.
Then barrel bedding. The barrel break in.

Not recalling what all I did to the last .22 which was a Ruger. Polished the trigger and sear maybe. There are springs for just the trigger I think...And drop in kits ,and send one out for tweeking options too.
A Marlin 60 needed a trigger spring kit to be shoot able without about a two handed squeeze..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I've ordered from various places and am going to put together for starters. High end target shooting using a semi-auto not a bolt action is the mission.

1. I ordered my 20" 920" bull barrel, receiver, muzzle brake, bolt and trigger from KIDD in Texas. The trigger is a two-stage each set at 8 oz's. Just changing my old stock trigger on my 10/22 to a BX 2.5 lb. made a huge difference! Can't wait to try this newer one now. This set-up was just over $1,000. KIDD Aftermarket Barreled Action Classic Slip-Fit with Build Options

2. I ordered and have received a thumb-hole target stock from Revolution. (Brown Laminate). 920" bull barrel, high cheek stock. https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-1022-Yukon-Silhouette-Stock-by-Revolution_p_14109.html#tab-2

3. Today I receive a Vortex Strike Eagle Scope. 4-24x50. 30MM tube. I have a LOT to learn before mounting this scope later. https://www.kenziesoptics.com/product/4-24x50mm-vortex-strike-eagle-riflescope/

When all the parts arrive including front/rear bi-pod, stock inserts and scope rings I'm taking all to a local gunsmith. While it is easy to put all together I want to make sure the barrel is free floating and the receiver is glass bedded properly. The receiver pins are all threaded also not the push in type. And it comes with a bolt buffer and a V-block also. BUT.... I am confused and have not ordered my scope rings yet BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO ORDER FOR SURE!!!! I want to make sure the 50MM scope clears the barrel but I don't want to raise my head up to see through scope either. I see the rings ranging from .87" to 1.45"...? But in the end I will order "high-end" scope rings (nothing steel). I'll post a pic when my 1st build is complete.

Thanks for the advise and link guys! Damn that high end ammo is EXPENSIVE! Don't look up Lapua X-ACT ammo unless your sitting down. Later, Brad

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with the build LT. looking forward to some photos.
I have a Henry 22 that I just love.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's what I've ordered from various places and am going to put together for starters. High end target shooting using a semi-auto not a bolt action is the mission.

1. I ordered my 20" 920" bull barrel, receiver, muzzle brake, bolt and trigger from KIDD in Texas. The trigger is a two-stage each set at 8 oz's. Just changing my old stock trigger on my 10/22 to a BX 2.5 lb. made a huge difference! Can't wait to try this newer one now. This set-up was just over $1,000. KIDD Aftermarket Barreled Action Classic Slip-Fit with Build Options

2. I ordered and have received a thumb-hole target stock from Revolution. (Brown Laminate). 920" bull barrel, high cheek stock. https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-1022-Yukon-Silhouette-Stock-by-Revolution_p_14109.html#tab-2

3. Today I receive a Vortex Strike Eagle Scope. 4-24x50. 30MM tube. I have a LOT to learn before mounting this scope later. https://www.kenziesoptics.com/product/4-24x50mm-vortex-strike-eagle-riflescope/

When all the parts arrive including front/rear bi-pod, stock inserts and scope rings I'm taking all to a local gunsmith. While it is easy to put all together I want to make sure the barrel is free floating and the receiver is glass bedded properly. The receiver pins are all threaded also not the push in type. And it comes with a bolt buffer and a V-block also. BUT.... I am confused and have not ordered my scope rings yet BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO ORDER FOR SURE!!!! I want to make sure the 50MM scope clears the barrel but I don't want to raise my head up to see through scope either. I see the rings ranging from .87" to 1.45"...? But in the end I will order "high-end" scope rings (nothing steel). I'll post a pic when my 1st build is complete.

Thanks for the advise and link guys! Damn that high end ammo is EXPENSIVE! Don't look up Lapua X-ACT ammo unless your sitting down. Later, Brad

That kind of money into it .I'd probably drop it twice the first day it was assembled. (Not really).
A gunsmith can help you get the right rings ,height wise. Yes you want to be as near the bore as possible ,but you need that bell clearance too.
What's more he/she? can lap the rings for evenness. Then secure them with proper torque and evenness of two halves and with a non permanent thread locker on cleaned fasteners. Get a good gunsmith ! Not a guy behind a counter that sells rifles and has little experience with the logistics of smithing. (And don't ask why I write that....:BangHead:).

Reads like an exciting build.
Be sure you find out from the barrel builder ,how to break it in.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"That kind of money into it .I'd probably drop it twice the first day it was assembled. (Not really)." I'd have a heart attack on the spot buddy!

"A gunsmith can help you get the right rings ,height wise. Yes you want to be as near the bore as possible ,but you need that bell clearance too." Yea I'll probably wait and let him do some measuring after he is done with the other machine work and assembly. The rings I was looking at are around $125.00.

Now as far as the gunsmith I personally can't vouch for him myself but 3 other folks spoke very highly of him. I called and talked to him and he "talked" way over my head on several procedures. He's 65 y/o with 42 years of experience and full machine shop. When I told him what I was bringing over... he simply said "I know exactly what you want me to do and yes I can do it". The only thing he stated for improvement was my choice of the rifle scope (not good enough). And be prepared to fire 600-1000 rounds before getting serious on sighting in with many different high-end ammo's. So I'll probably just slowly fire a brick of mid-grade Eley's through it. Then totally dismantle, clean, reassemble and then see what it can really do. But maybe I'll have too step up my game on the scope choice... MAIL JUST CAME (my scope!)

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Limitool you will have one FINE .22 rifle that is for certain!

Releventchair and Others have added some solid inputs, I was especially touched by the comment about having a competent Gunsmith. On my Ruger pistol the first recommended gunsmith was a real dud and cost me $80.00 and frustration for Zero work.

The gunsmith not only needs to be Competent, he also needs to be Enthused about Your Particular Build as without that the job will be less then what you want. My experience with the first gunsmith left me with plenty of questions for the next gunsmith!! The next Gunsmith was a full time machine shop owner (check), when he saw the pistol with the 10" Volquartsen barrel he immediately switched into high gear and started asking some very good questions and offering some excellent options (check). He also offered various photos of work he personally had completed (check). During the modifications to the pistol he added several fine touches, such as I’d asked for the Upper Picatinny Rail (I’ve four rail positions on the barrel) to extend from the back of the receiver to the front of the barrel however during his looking at the parts he called and suggested that the rail on the receiver should only go from the back to the front of the receiver, be cut at the front of the receiver (so the barrel could be removed should further work on receiver or barrel ever be needed). Then he did a sweet thing, the gap between the receiver and barrel rails was exactly the distance of the Picatinny rail making it possible to mount directly over the gap (check). The front of the barrel has a compensator, he undercut the lower front of the rail to not interfere with the gas flow out of the comp (check). So ask plenty of questions of the Gunsmith though it sounds like you’ve started on that.

Yes the angle of the ramp into the barrel is an important touch however my .22 pistol in the picture has the standard Ruger severe angle ramp and it works well Unless the slug is Weakly crimped to the casing (some Winchester rounds I’m speaking about here).

Accuracy – in about 1963 I purchased a Winchester .22 pump rifle (.22 LR, L, S) from the store I was dealing with at the time (Gierra Brothers Sporting Goods & Liquor Store!), a sweet slender Winchester w/o any mods (heck, I was 19 and could hardly afford anything then). After putting a significant number of rounds through that rifle (open iron sights) I knew her pretty well. One day this target landed on a high branch “way off in the distance”, if I’d not seen it flying I would not have know it was there. I licked my thumb, touched it to the front sight, put the rifle to my shoulder, allowed for the distance, squeezed the trigger and the target swung down and dropped. I know you will use your rifle a great deal and you will gain this type of familiarity with it at which time you will do some amazing shooting!!

A scope with a 30mm tube will let in a great deal of light, as much as the ‘input lens will allow’. Me, I have a Glass Fetish, like when I purchased my first SLR 35mm camera (1982) the prime lens was a 50mm f1.2. On a full moon lit night, on self timer it would expose for about 30 minutes yielding some Fun pictures, an f1.4 or 1.8 might not do as well. I am of course suggesting here that IF your shooting conditions Might include low light that you go up a notch on the ED glass front lens, maybe 54mm. And yes the Bell of the front lens needs to have some good clearance between it and the barrel. Good quality quick release scope mounts attached to a solid quality rail mount allow for accurate re-mounting of the scope to the rail, if you would want to remove the scope from the rifle say for cleaning the rifle or for storage in a slender hard sided case. And, for grins and giggles, a 45° rail mount will accept a red dot and the rifle does not even realize it is being held at a slight angle (likely not your cup of tea but for my .22 pistol pictured, I allowed for three sighting possibilities).

Your build should be a Superb Sweet Heart and I know you will be on pins and needles to receive it back about 3 seconds after dropping all the parts and pieces off with the Gunsmith, enjoy all the suspense and the pleasure of firing your dream!......................63bkpkr

PS - even the screws for the scope mount can be improved from slotted, phillips, allen wrench to Torx Bit for the utmost of contact for installing or removing. When I purchased the rials they were the typical black color, I had them stripped and re-anodized to the color shown, just personal preference touches as the functionality was unchanged.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
C'mon 63bkpkr: Cough up that picture!

A recent rifle I could have (despite my bull headed thinking I know anything about guns..) used a good smithy. Mine had closed shop.
A "too busy" crowding set up with what I ordered has me in need of a different scope with greater eye relief.
And best quality glass is a rival for cost ....More so when a stable could use better glass too.. (One bent objective lens housing /shield has annoyed me for years on one sample. Shoots just fine and is not noticeable when looking through it. A stupid "ooops" reminder though.)
Eyes not what they were is making optics a factor more so now though.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
63bkpkr.... Thanks for sharing buddy. And releventchair get your butt down here and let's have some fun with this together!!!!! You know we'd have a blast after meeting each other in MI. awhile back.

My new Strike Eagle Scope arrived today and it looks like a "thing of beauty" (I hope). It's a 4-24 magnification with a 50MM objective lens. It's a large scope but I'm only using it for target shooting (18" w/shade adapter attached). It has an illuminated reticle also if needed w/11 levels of brightness. It also has a parallax adjustment for any range desired to focus on only.

And 63bkpkr my gunsmith mentioned the improved scope ring screws also. I'm trying NOT to skip a single improvement that can be made with the choices I've made. From research it appears the KIDD products are top of the line. Stay tuned and I'll let all know. releventchair / huntsman53.... plan a trip. Let's have fun with this build together and all learn together. It'll be FUN! You two can wrestle for the spare room / w / bath!!!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
63bkpkr.... Thanks for sharing buddy. And releventchair get your butt down here and let's have some fun with this together!!!!! You know we'd have a blast after meeting each other in MI. awhile back.

My new Strike Eagle Scope arrived today and it looks like a "thing of beauty" (I hope). It's a 4-24 magnification with a 50MM objective lens. It's a large scope but I'm only using it for target shooting (18" w/shade adapter attached). It has an illuminated reticle also if needed w/11 levels of brightness. It also has a parallax adjustment for any range desired to focus on only.

And 63bkpkr my gunsmith mentioned the improved scope ring screws also. I'm trying NOT to skip a single improvement that can be made with the choices I've made. From research it appears the KIDD products are top of the line. Stay tuned and I'll let all know. releventchair / huntsman53.... plan a trip. Let's have fun with this build together and all learn together. It'll be FUN! You two can wrestle for the spare room / w / bath!!!!!

Wrestle for the guest room? Not a shooting match? Hey ,I stand a better chance at wrasslin probably! (I can cheat more that way.)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi releventchair, Ummm which picture do you refer to?? The one of the long shot? I'm the only human that saw that shot and I was disgusted there wasn't anyone else there as there are zip in the way of bragging rights w/o confirmation by someone else, it happened but without proof its only hot air. :hello:

Limitool, normally I'd invoke another moniker to your invite to the more local folks to you, "have sleeping bag will travel" But right now I've been asked to join a start-up company so I need to stay put for now. After awhile I will semi-retire and then there are some mountains and side canyons that are calling my name (as well as some Fine Trout fishing way up a box canyon). I've enjoyed backpacking and exploring for many years and inside me I've Not Done Enough of either of those in "MY CANYON" yet.

180_8078.JPG I need to rappel over this cliff to investigate that pool

180_8056.JPG outback in very rugged country, on the right of this photo is a 500' waterfall

2003 Nfar Herb & Justin 17.JPG this picture is looking back up the river that runs through the canyon

So life has lots left to do for all of us! Keep on havin fun and doin it right!................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
63bkpkr... I promise I have a cave you'd have fun exploring. After we play with the guns!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhh, a cave!! I've had some experiences with 'holes in the ground' and I'm still alive to talk about them though I'm somewhat surprised that I am. Between walking on narrow gauge rails in an old mine only to notice that the rock underneath the rails had fallen into the tunnel below or personally setting off explosives in an old mine, or investigating an exhausted though heavily productive gold mine with all sorts of side tunnels even ones going straight up from the main tunnel it would seem I've not lost the curiosity to still go into them. But of course not until after we've run several thousand rounds of .22's through our rifles/handguns, etc......................63bkpkr

IMG_3372.JPG this is my every day carry when I'm out in the mountains. Where I 'play' at has a Large bear population with some really Large bears that in the late 70's knew to bite through the ropes and food would fall from the sky. I've had some very close calls in there (by myself), my camps/equipment have been destroyed and I've been in my tent when a bear started in to check out my camp so I carry some heavy insurance with me - namely a .454 Casull Super Redhawk (pictured) with 5.25" modified barrel length & magna-ported usually loaded with 300 grain solid slugs though I own some hollow points. It is a great noise maker and I've used it several times to encourage bears to leave me alone. I've no need or desire to shoot a bear however, if its me or the bear - the bear goes down!

Likely we have lots to talk about though we might run out of topics before your rifle is built and returns to you, but we could try!...........63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread