Coin collectors hope for younger generation.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin collecting and stamp collecting are dying hobbies. Back in the 40's and 50's there was no internet and other electronic forms of entertainment to occupy people's minds so folks sought other means of entertainment. I've been collecting coins since the 50's and I also do a small amount of stamp collecting. Years ago young people attended coin clubs and coin shows, not so any more. Our coin club has over 100 active members and there are no young members at the meetings, just old geezers like me. Ditto for coin shows. The local stamp dealer in my area is calling it quits because of the tremendous drop off in sales over the years. There'll always be a certain number of collectors but it'll never be like it once was. Stamps and coins are about history, geography, economics, etc. Do today's young people have any interest in things like that? Or are they just interested in the latest APP or video game?
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Well said.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s your eBay name I love everything you mentioned. I refuse to call my office a man cave because to me that means the rest of the house is basically the wife’s. And that dog don’t hunt. Lol

Yep, no "man cave" for me, a place I fixed up for myself that I spend a lot of time in, well...my wife showed it to a couple of her friends and it was, So...this is your "man cave?", my reply, Nope, man cave sounds like so in-mature, this is my FORT!, her reply, what, are you like 12?...….ya well, little dog and I like spending time out here together. All right then, back to collecting, coins & stamps.....

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this issue also with my children not being interested in any of the hobbies I enjoy. My son who is now 17 doesn’t collect anything. I have boxes of ball cards and vintage Atari stuff and he shows no interest. They do not enjoy holding a piece of history and just thinking about what it could tell you if it could talk. Don’t even get me started on the work ethic of the kids but it is my own fault for not staying on them. I just always thought it is easier to do myself. As a child if my father was working on anything I was right under him waiting and bugging him to help.

I'm having the exact same issue, I used to "think" when my now 10 Y/O son was '10' he would be wanting to detect , hike, camp , see all the Cool stuff I have , EVEN family pictures he cares nothing about.?

It hurts but I can only support him and treat him the way I would want to be treated.

It's all video Games & you -tube . IDK Fault ? = Mine & the Wife , Society , Public Schools , Satan ???

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Davers,
I hear you !
With my son it was only Star Wars.
With my grandson it's only Fortnite.
Grandma (wife) is now playing Fortnite with grandson instead of cleaning out 40 years of clutter in the garage while I sit going through my coin and stamp collections; and filling in the blank to an ancestry tree; collectiions and family history that no family member wants today or after I'm gone. Current plans are to donate the stamp and coins to the local BSA merit badge counselor for those hobbies; and to the Mormon Church geneaology library for my family historys
Obviously a lot more can be said, but I'm choosing to count the perforations on the stamp held with my tongs then attempt (again) to find a '6' on a 'no stars reverse' SLQ I found years ago as a kid (in circulation at the time).
Don...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI , PLENTY of persons with medical conditions and disabilities will never able to drive so what do you call them ?

Tp

tinpan.
That's not how he meant it .

In the US getting your DL was a huge deal even tho I was a year behind getting my learners at 16 then my DL @ 17 most (in the late 1980's ) were in that 4 hour line on their 15 th & 16 th birthdays.

The High School I went to had a long waiting list to get a space if you wanted to drive to school . For the past few years every time I drive by that school 'including yesterday' the parking lot has been & still is half empty & that's with 10+ school buses parked there.

It just seems at some point driving became not a big deal to teens , guess they have parents to take them everywhere.
It is strange to my 47 year old eyes & Mind.

disabilities had nothing to do with his comment , heck my disability OCD Severe Social Anxiety kept me from getting my DL for that year but eventually the will to have 'freedom' forced me to get my DL.

Ask a teen or 20 something to drive a stick shift , now that's funny , and will in many cases keep you car / truck from being stolen. lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI , PLENTY of persons with medical conditions and disabilities will never able to drive so what do you call them ?

Tp

tinpan.

In the US getting your DL was a huge deal even tho I was a year behind getting my learners at 16 then my DL @ 17 most (in the late 1980's ) were in that 4 hour line on their 15 th & 16 th birthdays.

The High School I went to had a long waiting list to get a space if you wanted to drive to school . For the past few years every time I drive by that school 'including yesterday' the parking lot has been & still is half empty & that's with 10+ school buses parked there.

It just seems at some point driving became not a big deal to teens , guess they have parents to take them everywhere.

disabilities had nothing to do with his comment , heck my disability OCD Severe Social Anxiety kept me from getting my DL for that year but eventually the will to have 'freedom' forced me to get my DL.

Ask a teen or 20 something to drive a stick shift , now that's funny , and will in many cases keep you car / truck from being stolen. lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What nothing Who calls anyone a moron because they didn,t have a driving permit by the time their 18 years old. Just like some of his other posts likes to impose his opinion of all things on others. TP

Well don't read his posts .

Good Day.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the compliment. The truth of life is that nothing is of value, when value is no longer taught! Coin collecting changed with the silver hype in about 1980 thereabouts with the Hunt Brothers and the predators who assumed the throne.

IMO
I not sure if grading Co's were in business before 1980.

It does seem like the Coin Hobby had to make a whole new grading system , that also "imho" has inflated prices (they are good for detecting counterfeits ) , also there has always been 'Cherry Pickers' of FBL , & Full Steps, Die types.

When a coin say goes from MS 65 - MS 69 & there is a 3 or 4 figure difference in retail & Street price. It don't make much sense to me (maybe if I had Millions to blow IDK) , I mean most coins that grade MS 60 - MS 67-or 68 look about the same to my eyes , It's a matter of opinion even to the grading Co's. Is MS or Proof 70 really "Perfect"?

In coins I like I'm completely happy to have a nice F -AU coin that has toning like on 'grandmas Silverware' It's my opinion but I don;t like my Old coins to look brand new. I really don't care for Rainbow Toning & other nice Toning but that's me.

My point? Heck I really don't know other than it seems the Coin hobby had to create a new grading scale, to keep the hobby going , Especially since 'most' of the Mint , Proof & commiserative sets produced since 1964 or so are basically worth their face value unless you just like the coin or it's made of a PM.

I guess when the SHT? these coins & collectibles will be worth their metal valve (you know when it comes to eating or having clean water = Coins Smoins ??? & When we pass-on we aint taking nothing with us.

This was a bit off topic I know , It seems Kid's teen's have a avg, 7 min attention span & this 'Including Me ' "I WANT EVERYTHING NOW CULTURE SCARES ME , HENCE THE OPIOID & Drug Epidemic around the world.

Stamps , Coins , Collecting does not get most younger peoples 'instant gratification' Juices / DNA Flowing like Food, drugs , Video Games , Oh Gaming does. Technology has helped us & hurt us. & Yes my 10 Y/O has an old smart phone but in a year he' s gonna want & need instant online info. I don't have a Smart phone but I find myself needing one just so i'm not left in the 1980's.

IDK sorry for that rant & i'm sure it will not come across as I wanted it to.

P.S. 95% of High Grade Morgan Dollars are UGLY AS HECK!

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tp
Truth was only venting his annoyance about his own sons in a good natured way, not in young folks in general who don't/won't get their license when they become of age. He was just saying that there was a time not long ago when teenagers just couldn't wait to get a license.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers,
I hear you !
With my son it was only Star Wars.
With my grandson it's only Fortnite.
Grandma (wife) is now playing Fortnite with grandson instead of cleaning out 40 years of clutter in the garage while I sit going through my coin and stamp collections; and filling in the blank to an ancestry tree; collectiions and family history that no family member wants today or after I'm gone. Current plans are to donate the stamp and coins to the local BSA merit badge counselor for those hobbies; and to the Mormon Church geneaology library for my family historys
Obviously a lot more can be said, but I'm choosing to count the perforations on the stamp held with my tongs then attempt (again) to find a '6' on a 'no stars reverse' SLQ I found years ago as a kid (in circulation at the time).
Don...

Yep.
I was Star-Wars & my friends Atari (as I could not afford one ) , I should charge my son 25 cent per game & definitely add a "Tilt" for when he gets frustrated. lol
Great job helping all the people you do, it's much appreciated .

Now what to do with all the estimated 15,000 1984-1994 Baseball & Basket Ball cards , Got some late 1970's football to but they are all bent up , like my Star Wars Cards & 'Jaw's' cards ; Oh & those white looking Elvis card's that came out ....late 1970's I think , I was 8 or 9. Still have my Hot Wheels to but they are post 'Red line' of-course .

A Hoarder I am . lol

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Numistic value is a weird kind of beast.

I got a seated liberty dime and half dime , both with arrows, 1854 and 1853, both around vf 35-40, that I been sitting on since 1989. Both are book valued today at about twice what I paid for them at the coin shop. The thing is a dollar today is worth almost exactly half of what it could buy in 1989, maybe a little less.

Not a sound investment and no hedge against inflation what so ever. The coins have a melt value of about .75¢. I'll be luck if the coin shop pays 60% of the numistic value. I lost 40% if I get out right now.

I thnk ill get out now.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A Hoarder I am . lol

Yep Dave, A Hoarder I am!

I guess I just always wanted to have them. Stamps & coins. I don't do those recent popular trends - they don't last like REAL history does.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Numistic value is a weird kind of beast.

I got a seated liberty dime and half dime , both with arrows, 1854 and 1853, both around vf 35-40, that I been sitting on since 1989. Both are book valued today at about twice what I paid for them at the coin shop. The thing is a dollar today is worth almost exactly half of what it could buy in 1989, maybe a little less.

Not a sound investment and no hedge against inflation what so ever. The coins have a melt value of about .75¢. I'll be luck if the coin shop pays 60% of the numistic value. I lost 40% if I get out right now.

I thnk ill get out now.

If you or others are buying coins that have NUMISMATIC value as an investment, you're most likely going to be disappointed. Even if you bought at a fair price, the wholesale buy back price will almost never exceed the original buy price. You have a better chance with bullion items but even that has some risk to it. Collect for fun and let the experience be your profit.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as coins go I buy high quality old coins gold/silver, hoard silver bars and I love it. I buy what I want, get it and just look at it, put it in the safe and break them out every once in awhile and look at them some more. My detected coins are my babies. I have them in display cases, on my bed table next to me and even around my neck. I tell my boys get out of college, work hard, save your money because I’m broke and won’t be leaving much. They have a idea I like old gold and silver, but know idea how much I like it. So when the elbows hit the pine box they’ll have a very nice nest egg to spilt (with instructions of course) and sell, sell, sell :))) I’m gone.

As far as the dug ones....they coming with me :)
Excellent points. You and I have the same ideas. I buy silver and gold because I like it. I allot money each month for my purchases plus at the end of the hunt season I cash in all my clad and buy more silver and gold. My holdings will go to my daughter when I kick the bucket and what she does with it is for her to decide. I've kept EVERY silver coin, piece of sterling, and gold that I've dug since 1983 and like you those are my "babies". They'll need a big crowbar to pry them from my cold hands.....

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you or others are buying coins that have NUMISMATIC value as an investment, you're most likely going to be disappointed. Even if you bought at a fair price, the wholesale buy back price will almost never exceed the original buy price. You have a better chance with bullion items but even that has some risk to it. Collect for fun and let the experience be your profit.

I should have invested in a spelling tutor. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tinpan.

You know what happens when I call him a moron, same thing when my dad called me a moron....we laughed!!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent points. You and I have the same ideas. I buy silver and gold because I like it. I allot money each month for my purchases plus at the end of the hunt season I cash in all my clad and buy more silver and gold. My holdings will go to my daughter when I kick the bucket and what she does with it is for her to decide. I've kept EVERY silver coin, piece of sterling, and gold that I've dug since 1983 and like you those are my "babies". They'll need a big crowbar to pry them from my cold hands.....

We are one in the same my friend

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dumping my purchased collection of everything for 3 years now. I have found enough of my own items, the "purchased" items are now extras. I just have that one bank find of Morgans and Peace dollars and the $80 face in Walkers and Franklins left, which were also from a bank. Everything else with one or two exceptions, like I haven't had the time to sell them yet, is ggooonneee! Paid off the credit cards and now looking at buying a new car! Or a drone! Or a refrigerator! Or all of the above!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread