IS IT BETTER ? ITS NEW ! BUT IS IT WORTH IT ?

money mike

Greenie
May 20, 2018
clarksville,indiana
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800, garrett at pro, max, 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok guys and gals the Equinox 800, The at Max, the new Minelab or what would you say is hands down the best medal detector for the mid to high level range ? I have the at Max and the at Pro and let me tell you even after buying several deep searching aftermarket coils I have to honestly say I would never buy another Garrett machine ! They killed me out with all the hype for the max when without a doubt the at Pro is a lot better.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all hype. Salesmen have no scruples. They'd try to sell you anything to make a buck. Just look at all the fools who will soon be spending a grand (or more) for the latest "upgraded" iPhone. Yes, it might be a little better than the last version, but who really needs it? Pathetic waste of money, imo.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are a lot of good machines out on the market today. IMHO: use the one you have researched to work with you, your hunt style and locations. The most important thing is to Really understand your machine settings, how the interact with one another and hours in the field!

Enjoy the hobby...GL & HH

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all hype. Salesmen have no scruples. They'd try to sell you anything to make a buck. Just look at all the fools who will soon be spending a grand (or more) for the latest "upgraded" iPhone. Yes, it might be a little better than the last version, but who really needs it? Pathetic waste of money, imo.

Spending money on something you don’t need makes you a human, not a pathetic fool. Otherwise spending money on a tattoo would make even less sense.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
to the OP don't believe anything people say, do the research yourself.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spending money on something you don’t need makes you a human, not a pathetic fool. Otherwise spending money on a tattoo would make even less sense

Yes, but I have my tattoo for life. That 1k iPhone will be in the dumpster in six months when they buy yet another "new and improved" iPhone.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but I have my tattoo for life. That 1k iPhone will be in the dumpster in six months when they buy yet another "new and improved" iPhone.

Having it for life doesn’t make it a good investment my man. I’ll make more in 6 months with my phone than you’ll make with that tattoo for the rest of your life. For the record I’m covered in tattoos but I could care less what somebody else spends on their phone and I certainly don’t think it makes them a pathetic fool. Just my two cents.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, goodness ... another good thread taking a wrong turn. Perhaps discussing investments vs. expenses would be better handled in a separate thread. Agreed that you can use a phone to make money ,however, I still see it as an expense of doing business rather than an investment. As for tats, phones, or detectors, all of them are expenses of choice. I kept my last iPhone for nearly six years, I have no tats (personal choice, no judgment), and I did research for several weeks before buying my new metal detector - the first new one in more than 30 years.

As for the OP question: I'm not sure there is a BEST detector (or anything else for that matter). I think the best one for you is the one that does what you want it to do and brings you some happiness when you use it. I have a beep-and-dig Tesoro that I bought for $7.00 at a thrift store and an EQ-600. I use them at different times for different purposes. I'd suggest doing your research and making a well-informed decision.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly don’t think it makes them a pathetic fool

Never called anyone a "pathetic fool". Get your facts straight, my man. I stated that only a fool would flush a grand on an "improved" iPhone every six months. And I said it was a pathetic waste of money.

As for making money on your phone, you can do that with any decent phone made in the last five years. No need to cut into your profits by spending that much cash over and over again.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not about phones, so let's stay on topic. The companies that build metal detectors will always come out with a new one every year to boost their sales. Has nothing to do with making a better detector, even if some are an improvement. It's about convincing someone who already has one that they need another one (or a better one).

That's just the way it is with any type of merchandise, whether it's a metal detector, a phone or a vehicle. If you want to do that, that's your choice. But it's my choice to post here and tell you my opinion on it. If that's okay with you, my man.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
By this logic, a phone with a tattoo on on it is priceless! Or get a tattoo of a cell phone and all your bases are covered.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Equinox 800
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Vaquero
AT Max

Depends what you hunt for. Tesoro is the best bang for your buck.
Personally I'd say the Equinox 800 after my researching. I want two new detectors for next year and the Nox 800 is one and probably the Tejon will be the second to switch up with my Outlaw. Tesoro's are the most fun to swing imo.
I looked into the AT Max but I just don't know. It would have to be a big improvement on the over priced GTI 2500. Once I got my Outlaw my GTI went on the shelf then I sold it.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro's are the most fun to swing imo.

While I have an EQ-600 (wish I had bought the 800) and my old Tesoro (thrift shop buy), I actually enjoy using the Tesoro. It is much easier and I'm still learning the EQ. With the Tesoro, it beeps, I dig, pinpoint, dig, pinpoint ... I will admit, however, that the numbers on the EQ are fun to think about ... and my grand-daughters can come up with some great ideas as to what is in the hole. Alas, it is never the treasure chest they seek.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The multi-frequency ability is interesting but (as it has already been said) really learn your existing machine to the maximum level in all circumstances and this may require the purchase of several different coils even from manufacturers other than the folks that made the detector. "Some Accessories" make a palpable improvement to A detector! However, the detector should be a fairly good model in any manufactures line of machines. The machines you are discussing are all good machines from what I've watched on Youtube.

It took me a long time to have a general feel for my GMT out in gold country, as I acquired some new hints and tips I started finding placer gold though not pounds of it only parts of an ounce. Finding any gold with a detector is a hoot, just like finding a silver or gold object in 'town'!! Going out frequently with any machine is required to learn it even if a person has a test garden planted, the test garden does not change where different locations are just that, different locations with changes in soil, etc. Oh, have fun out there whatever you do!.......................63bkpkr

185_8515.JPG Location, location, location makes a big difference, a capable machine for what one is searching for that can handle the ground one is in and then experience to gain knowledge of that machine in the location brought about finding this about 1/4 oz of California Gold. The Adventure IS the big payoff as the area is just stunning whereas the gold is fun to look at.

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised no one has mentioned the XP Deus. It is very light weight, wireless and when improvements come out for it all you have to do is download them to your computer and install them on the machine.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I am surprised no one has mentioned the XP Deus. It is very light weight, wireless and when improvements come out for it all you have to do is download them to your computer and install them on the machine.

If they changed the tones on the Deus it would be more attractive to me personally. I can't handle the whoopee cushion getting beat up by a rubber ducky sound.
It absolutely drives my dobie nuts when I play Deus YouTube videos lol. It's the only knock I have against it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread