Youtube video "a thief among us"

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
short answer...NO!

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, the finder is not a thief unless he or she saw the loss occur. In other words, if you see my wedding band drop off my hand while I am walking down the beach and you immediately "find" it with your detector, it is likely that I could make claim for the ring. If I dropped the ring early in the morning and you show up on the beach that afternoon and find the ring, it likely could be yours. Of course, good ethics would suggest that you try to find the original owner and return the ring (or other property). Remember, your character is defined by what you do when no one is looking.

I found this article that gives a pretty good explanation of some scenarios in which found property may be the finders, may have to be returned to the original owner, or even given to the State.

Couple Finds Gold Coins: When Finders-Keepers Is Legally Sound | Time

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why the header "youtube video" ?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many here who went above and beyond to be given an Honorable Mention for returns. I've returned several finds myself along the way. It's about doing the right thing.

Recognition should not be our goal here. We should always do the right thing even when there are no accolades.

I tracked down and found the owner of a class ring in the mid-80's. Made contact with him, he grabbed the ring out of my hand and said "I thought I lost it" and beat feet with no thank you whatsoever.

But, I did the right thing. With help from my hunting buddy Steve, tracked down the owner of a sterling bracelet tag and returned it to his children. Their e-mails of appreciation were all that mattered to me.

Do the "right thing" please. You'll ALWAYS feel good about that, where someday you might look back and wish you had. Kinda like getting brownie points on our hereafter :)

OP
OP
M

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted it here cause i felt insulted as a metal detectorist. I feel we are mature and honeste enogh to do the right thing with our finds. The guy that uploaded it seemed like a well experienced. Maybe he just wanted to be funny?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belong to 2 organizations that will search for lost metal objects for free. I have gotten quite a few "thank you's" over the years. I know I'm not a thief and I guess that,, that is what really matters.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted it here cause i felt insulted as a metal detectorist. I feel we are mature and honeste enogh to do the right thing with our finds. The guy that uploaded it seemed like a well experienced. Maybe he just wanted to be funny?

Is there a link to the video as I was curious and wanted to watch it but cannot find the video?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Who in their right mind wears any jewelry to the beach?

God Bless their souls! Sometimes I need those delights in life which please us. If no one lost anything we'd have no hobby :(

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone loses something in the beach and you asume who found it with a metal detector, can you call him a thief?

Was this Oliver, the Aussie guy? If so he is in the business/hobby of finding lost valuables for folks. Probably for a nice reward.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Was this Oliver, the Aussie guy? If so he is in the business/hobby of finding lost valuables for folks. Probably for a nice reward.

Very interesting Susan.

Maybe there appears to be more to this story?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Legally, lost property is not surrendered property.

That's why it is usually smiled upon if you "turn it in" to the police and then wait to see if it is claimed.

But this is reality and . . . losers, weepers.

I have had people call me a "thief" for metal detecting. My response is I am cleaning up after litterbugs that just drop stuff everywhere (and a bag of junk usually to show them).

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer the term: "Casual Kleptomaniac".

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a link to the video as I was curious and wanted to watch it but cannot find the video?

This is is the one I thought this post might be referencing

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If it can't be returned, I Don't consider it lost anymore.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the one I was thinking it was

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread