Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was a saying that I heard my grandfather say several times. We actually had a relative that had lost an eye to a stick or branch as he chased runaway mules. He usually said this when something happened that was less than desirable but it could have been worse...sometimes a lot worse. So the first time that I heard this was when we had a family potluck dinner. One of my aunts (by marriage) was not quite the cook as everyone else. However, she made this casserole dish that looked really good and actually inviting.

Being a very large gathering, we basically filled our plates and found places to sit and eat throughout the house and out on the porch. I had gone out onto the porch to eat as did several others. My grandfather immediately put a big forkful of the casserole into his mouth and chewed maybe twice and kind of looked around. My uncle who was sitting there, asked proudly "How is it?" My grandfather quickly grabbed his tea and took a big gulp and swallowed everything. Then he quietly answered, "Well, it's better than a stick in the eye but not by much."

Everyone immediately scraped their casserole onto the ground for the hound dogs to eat. My uncle on the other hand, took a big forkful and tried it himself only to spit it out. After his gulp of tea, he told the rest of us, "It's a little heavy on the salt." Anyways, the dogs enjoyed it and I always remember and use that saying even now as my wife griped about this program that she is trying to use for a power point. It always can be worse although sometimes it can be hard to see how. DL

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a good saying there Dirtlooter with a story to boot. :laughing7:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sayings were great back in our forefathers day! One of my grandpas work buddies could insult you up one side & down the other & leave you wanting to thank him! Until a day or two later when it sunk in what he said.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the story, Thank You for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Another good one dirtlooter.:icon_thumright:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
as always a funny story

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing that story,, I'm cutting up a lot of trees. This story reminds me to be a little more careful and also to stay away from the casserole.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a variation of something I used to tell my students when they got a poor grade (usually because they had done poor work). I'd always say, "Well, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye and a quick kick in the rear end." Some of them thought it was funny and some looked at me like I'd grown a second head. Either way, it was fun for me.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the blast from the past DL.

Hope you are doing well buddy!

Top Member Reactions