Poor guy will swear he had it on his death bed

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly in Fenns poem of clues the treasue is in plain sight and need not be dug.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
And really.... an 85 year old man digging a 15 foot hole by hand.....seems like a stretch to me. What is the first rule of archaeology? It’s almost impossible to truly fill a hole. Therefore why would he bury it, especially so deep, when really getting rid of a hole so deep is almost impossible.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
You'd think this guy who supposedly spent $40,000 looking for this would know that there is no way it's buried 15 feet down if at all lol.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you Google his poem of clues you will see in the 5th paragraph where he says he's old and tired. Doesn't sound to me like he dug a deep hole.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is $300.?
If I was still getting a signal at 15 feet and was only a foot or two from the target, I wouldn't let a fine of $300. Keep me from getting to Al Capone's empty safe. I'm sure the Discovery Channel would cut through the red tape with a payoff for permission to film the conclusion of this dig.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Scott Conway has made an astounding 17 visits to the state in search of an infamous cache of riches allegedly hidden somewhere in the area by eccentric author Forrest Fenn. However, his exhaustive treasure hunt took a rather maddening turn after he was busted by park rangers digging on state land in a spot which he believes is mere feet from the prize.

The ill-fated treasure hunt came to an abrupt end this past May when Conway and a pair of companions were digging at a location somewhere in New Mexico's Heron State Park. The impromptu excavation spawned a hole which measured a whopping 15 feet deep and a metal detector indicated that something metallic if they dug just a few feet deeper. Alas, it was not to be as park rangers showed up and stopped the crew from doing any further digging.

Conway was subsequently charged with destroying park property as well as using a metal detector in the protected area of land without a permit. In total, he was reportedly fined around $300 dollars, which is a proverbial drop in the bucket for the erstwhile treasure hunter who has spent a jaw-dropping $40,000 on the pursuit over the years. What's more difficult for Conway is that he is certain that they were about the find the treasure and now he cannot finish the dig.

To his credit, he even ventured back to New Mexico last month in an attempt to convince park officials to let him resume the dig, but was rebuffed. "They tried zero effort to look into the situation," Conway lamented, "all they see is a hole." For his part, Fenn was coy about whether or not the treasure hunter was on the right track, noting that he never claimed to have buried the riches ... but that he also never said that he didn't. Perhaps the only way to know for sure if Conway was correct is if a park ranger suddenly retires later this summer under curious circumstances and with a lot of newfound wealth.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thought this was gonna be about kemper finally getting T_H to crack!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridiculous to think that Fenn dug 15 feet - he claims to have carried the box by himself to it's resting place. At the time he hid the treasure he was 80 years old - I believe he drove to a beautiful place , North of Santa Fe -( Colorado ?) Got out of the car , placed the" box" in a back pack - and hiked a short distance - out of sight of passers by - and he hid the box within a ten minute walk from his car. This an opinion formed by looking at the facts as I understand them to be , an 80 year old man , with a 40 lb. box - by himself ! He has given that it is North of Santa Fe, above 5000 ft. elevation, and it's in the Rocky Mountains .

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I had a few of those, "The target is just a little deeper", holes in my lifetime, I just quit digging them after this one ended up being a dead end.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 70

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He should have pitched a tent right over the dig. He could have taken the treasure, then set a booby trap for the park rangers. That's what I would do.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is $300.?
If I was still getting a signal at 15 feet and was only a foot or two from the target, I wouldn't let a fine of $300. Keep me from getting to Al Capone's empty safe. I'm sure the Discovery Channel would cut through the red tape with a payoff for permission to film the conclusion of this dig.

I agree I would take my charge and pay those fines that’s not a lot of money when you’ve already spent $40,000 in research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread