Welcoming a cashless society, or not?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I figure they stopped stamping out silver currency around '65. That could mean that most all silver coins dug were probably dropped before 1970, maybe a little later with all the drug use in the 70's. Then came clad coins which though essentially worthless are still dropped or lost to this very day.

I guess that the silver to be found, though still fairly plentiful, will eventually dry up for all practical purposes. Same for clad if we ever stop coining currency. But most don't hope for a zincoln in their hole anyways.

What's left to keep one detecting should we become a a cashless society? The easy picking are mostly found, kinda like how the '49ers scooped up the easy nuggets.

I guess metal detecting might have to evolve. :dontknow:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is always Relics and jewelry! :icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've got a great pull tab collection going.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i hear that the new stadium in sf is not going to take cash.but there are other things to find,gold in nice.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just one more reason not to go to sf. Or ca. for that matter.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will always be an endless supply of gold and silver jewelry to find. And I'll bet there's still tons of Rev War and Civil War relics just waiting to be found as well.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of urban areas that have been covered for years......small coils stealthily working tear outs will be the norm. A detecting buddy of mine pulled a barber quarter and a merc from under asphalt that was under sand, out at a desert site. Research and creative thinking will come into play.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I do have a nice collection of pull tabs, I seem to be the local king of nails. I don't care where I'm detecting, I come home with old nails.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Technology seems to have helped with depth over the decades at intervals.
Maybe down the road new gear will allow deeper hits. (!).
Then some of us will start sites all over.
Heck ,some do with different detectors(a change in brand or model) now and do alright...Just a max. depth thing in some areas ,if increased could change things up.

Of course , all that pesky trash above it would still exist.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technology seems to have helped with depth over the decades at intervals.
Maybe down the road new gear will allow deeper hits. (!).
Then some of us will start sites all over.
Heck ,some do with different detectors(a change in brand or model) now and do alright...Just a max. depth thing in some areas ,if increased could change things up.

Of course , all that pesky trash above it would still exist.

I would guess that in areas like forests stuff keeps working down deeper over time due to trees. Trees take dirt up, drop it down as leaves. All those leaves pile up eventually. :dontknow:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
If you people with the clout, connections, or any kind of leverage should petition the president or your states rep and ask to go back on the silver/gold standard like JFK wanted to.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you people with the clout, connections, or any kind of leverage should petition the president or your states rep and ask to go back on the silver/gold standard like JFK wanted to.

Yeah, and he got shot.

We got more chance of sprouting wings on our backs than we do going back to a currency with intristic value. The thing is we cannot pay off the debt owed on the dollar- not ever. With the fractional reserve banking system of fiat dollars that we use now there will always be more debt owed than there are dollars on the balance sheet.

They got you by the pocketbook, unless you can reject FRNs and barter. You know, free market style. :icon_thumright:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
a lot of it has been. I have old geezers come up to me every now and then tellin me how they used to fill their pockets with silver. i could see the druel running down their cheek when reminiscing about old times. then they have the nerve to ask me if I found any silver, i answer no. but now when it happens i'm gonna tell them I fill my pockets with silver all the time. maybe they wont have as much druel running down their cheek ?

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
a lot of it has been. I have old geezers come up to me every now and then tellin me how they used to fill their pockets with silver. i could see the druel running down their cheek when reminiscing about old times. then they have the nerve to ask me if I found any silver, i answer no. but now when it happens i'm gonna tell them I fill my pockets with silver all the time. maybe they wont have as much druel running down their cheek ?

Yep they ruined it for future generations. This is a hobby which will die out completely in the next 10-20 years. Unless the price of rusted iron and aluminum goes through the roof.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I read somewhere "unless you receive the mark of the beast you will neither be able to buy nor sell".

Sounds pretty cashless to me.

GOD Bless

Chris

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I read somewhere "unless you receive the mark of the beast you will neither be able to buy nor sell".

Sounds pretty cashless to me.

GOD Bless

Chris

which i'm not going receive that mark of the devil

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep they ruined it for future generations. This is a hobby which will die out completely in the next 10-20 years. Unless the price of rusted iron and aluminum goes through the roof.

Nah ,they ruined nothing.
Just go where they didn't.
I followed places we /they detected three decades later and still scratched an odd surprise.
No ,not like what had come out in the past on such hunted sites.
One place I have not hit ,a proprietor kept a gallon jug of Indian head cents in sight recovered from across the road. Most from near it's edge. (!).

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm still able, and when the time draws near, I will go out and rebury what I have recovered. Nope,, no maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions