Does anyone carry their detector in the car with them?

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hello again,

Another silly question from a Nu-B. Does anyone carry their detector in the car with them? I drive 60 miles to work every day and wish I had more time to hunt. If I carry my Cibola with me in the truck (front seat, no ext. cab) will it hurt the detector? I pass a few neat places to get out and hunt everyday on the way home, but I don't want to hurt my detector with too much heat in the summer months. Any ideas will really help. Thanks.

Hat_man

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i carry mine in the fall and spring in the back of my truck.I have a lockable cover.
But i dont think carrying it in your car will hurt unless it is extremely hot or extremely cold...
Or unless someone wants to steal it...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry mine all the time once the heat of summer is gone, sometimes even in summer, but if I am carrying it, I always park under shade trees and leave the windows cracked so the heat isn't too high.

I found that many times when I am finishing work I am close to a good hunting area, really disappointing when it's not with me.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I keep mine in the car with me. The summer heat will do more damage to the batteries than the detector itself, if it's baking in there, just let it cool off a few minutes before using it and it should be fine.

Batteries you can put them in boxes with newspaper and other 'tricks' to keep them cooler when the trunk gets hit with the hot summer sunshine.

aaron

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Normally I have mine in the car. Makes it easier not to forget it! Duh...

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 detectors, coils, digging equipment, ground markers, magnet, rope, hi intensity light, etc, etc...Oh wait, uh YES, I carry my detectors almost everywhere I go...You never know when you might see a deserted piece of property calling to you, or a strange, and alien school....

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I used to carry my detector in the back of my truck... until last year. I had both my DFX and my Excal in the back of my chevy tahoe... I was averaging about 2 stops per week just driving around... hitting the beaches, some old promising spots @ my parent's place.

Then, on Halloween 2006, I got rear ended. I was stopped in traffic and got hit my some moron doing around 65mph (that's what he said). My chevy tahoe crumpled up into the size of a VW... total of 6 cars invovled... not a pretty afternoon. Both of my detectors were CRUSHED. I argued for almost 2 months with the insurance company about the price on them. The result was they cut me an additional check for around $1800 for the two detectors.

Now, I put a detector in my truck when I am planning on detecting... and don't just leave it there

steve

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
hat_man said:
Hello again,

Another silly question from a Nu-B. Does anyone carry their detector in the car with them? I drive 60 miles to work every day and wish I had more time to hunt. If I carry my Cibola with me in the truck (front seat, no ext. cab) will it hurt the detector? I pass a few neat places to get out and hunt everyday on the way home, but I don't want to hurt my detector with too much heat in the summer months. Any ideas will really help. Thanks.

Hat_man

Almost always have mine in the cab behind the seat of my little truck...along with climbing rope, binoculars, digital camera, small pick and spade, gloves, water jugs, sample bags, a couple of backpacks, toolbox, swim fins, mask and snorkel, a big nasty Puma knife and various and sundry implements of destruction and plunder.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Always. I keep my gold detector in the house, though. Only break it out for long trips.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always keep my detector and implements with me, just in case..more often than not, it's just a fantasy that my kids are going to let me out after work though.

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yep, it lives in the car...mostly. Not only for reasons of unexpected areas I may come across but for those impromptu itches, as well. :P

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to carry two detectors in the vehicle when I started. It isn't a good idea because of heat damage and the chance of an accident. Since I am retired I can detect when I want so I only load them and the extra gear at that time.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I always have mine in the trunk,if i see any place in my travels I'll pull over and check it out.Granted they don't always produce anything but i can check that spot off my list.

There was a time when i only had my MD when i was knowingly going out to detect...on the days i didn't take it with me,I'd see these areas that looked nice and always thought about what i may find there....now it goes everywhere it does away with wishing i had brought it and having to go home and then rush back there...what a time saver.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Spring, summer and fall, the detecter is ALWAYS in the van.
Only bring it in when the ground freezes and all that white stuff piles up!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
keep it in the trunk --never know when the MDing bug will bite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread