Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Several years ago, we were at a friend's house for a fall time pot luck. Our friend has a rather large home with lots of room so several of our friends had come with their favorite dishes. After we all had eaten, we gathered in the spacious living room to talk and such. One of our friends, Jerry, told us about his concerns for his eldest daughter who was about to go to college. She had to go back for another check up concerning her eyes. I was curious and asked what was the matter. Jerry explained that years ago when the two girls were small, he had built a sandbox for them to play in.

Jerry lives on twenty acres out in the country with cattle etc. He continued telling us that after the summer was over, she began to have headaches and vision problems. After numerous doctor visits to several different doctors, they finally found out that she had parasites in her eyes and that they would require some rather intense surgeries. These involved spending long hours laying on her stomach with her eyes open while they worked. It turned out that the neighborhood cats were using the sandbox for a littler box and their feces were known to carry this particular parasite.

I immediately thought of my own eye problems and the numerous "floaters" that I had. I had and still have black floaters in my left eye that I called my crows, they have since become tinier. I also had a rather large floater on the right side of my right eye that drove me nuts. It always appeared that there was someone standing off to my right and if I didn't look, sometimes there would actually be someone there. So I was constantly turning my head to the right to see for sure, it has since gone away. So I was curious as to if she had any of these floaters. So I asked, "So, have you ever had any floaters?"

She grinned for a moment and sort of giggled as everyone turned to see what she would say. Then she chuckled lightly and her sister giggled as she answered, "Well, yes, occasionally but they usually flush right down."

I wasn't expecting that answer as everyone laughed for a moment and then I explained myself, "No, I meant those little black floaters in your eyes." Immediately she turned red and answered, "No but if I did, I couldn't see them." Now everyone laughed again as they realized what had happened and it was funny. I assure her that everyone had floaters occasionally and they do usually flush down too. Her vision did get somewhat better but not perfect and she has always remembered the floaters. Some times I forget that people aren't always on the same page as me and visa versa. You ever have a floater?:laughing7:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I've had them forever. I have one in my right eye that looks like a tapeworm. Doesn't bother me and doesn't impair my vision.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have them now. Just got the Rt. Eye lasered yesterday. Left, a couple of weeks ago. It's funny swatting at make believe nats. They leave in a couple of days. I hope. Nice story.:icon_thumright:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...i feel your pain. I lost my Right eye to cancer back in 2012. My good eye has floaters that constantly get in my way. The good thing is...if i keep my eye still, they tend to float out of the way long enough for me to see what i want. I guess you might call it my work around.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing worse than floaters are halos in the eyes. I get those right before my migraine headaches start. Hard to explain what they are, but they kind of look like shiny diamonds all in a halo shape. Not sure why that happens with a migraine, but they are debilitating. Can't use the computer, watch TV or drive when it happens. Just have to lie down in a dark room until they pass, usually in an hour or two.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have them most of the time but my vision isn't hampered by them. Sometimes little worm-like do dads and sometimes a dark spot that will move off if I try to focus on it.
Marvin

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Floaters here as well they can drive you nuts, also have I think its a viral infection in my right which I have had for about 5 years now.
Been through the eye drops and taking a pill which seems to put it at bay for a while then it comes back and have to go through the routine again.
I have bad light sensitivity in my right eye just looking at a white computer screen makes me have to shut it.
Also I get migraines and a crushing feeling in my head like it's in a vice, it puts a strain on life having to deal with it.
I pretty much live with sunglasses on.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my crows are getting harder to see in my left eye but that is because I have macular degeneration worse in that eye. one of my grandsons told me that I was just falling apart and at times it really seems like it but it could be a lot worse and it has been. you can't live in the past, it just drags you down. most of the time after a shot in the eye, people ask what happened to my eye and I usually tell them that I got too close to my wife when she is pointing a finger at me. I am thankful for the shots, I still have some vision in that eye. I feel for several of you with the migraines, just make sure that is what they really are. I had brain bleeds that turned into a rather big one and I was told that they were migraines. WRONG! you don't realize how important something is until it is gone.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean a "floater" isn't a body in the water? Yes, I got 'em and you guys nailed it. I needn't add more! ╦╦Ç

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I got them about two years ago after my eyes collapsed. They remind me of black jellyfish. They are a pain to deal with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread