Need help picking a detector

LuckyRob

Aug 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i decided a few months back I wanted to get a detector. Ive saved my pennies and dimes and the time has finally come............ I think? I have about 600 saved so far give or take. I want to find the best detector I can in the sub 650$ price range. Is this possible? It will be my first detector but I also dont want something cheap and have to rebuy in a few months because I messed up the first time. This is why Ive stayed away from the bounty hunters and such. I wanna do it right the first time and get something that I can use for a few years before I feel like upgrading. So the Question is, Whats are the best products out there in my price range? Any help is greatly appreciated and I am sure this has been asked a million times. But with my budget what would you guys buy for the new detectorist?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a Garrett AT pro. It is a great detector and is easy to learn. You will use it for years to come. Look for a sale or buy from a reputable dealer on eBay and it is is or near your price range.
Welcome to Tnet you will visit here for years as well

OP
OP
L

LuckyRob

Aug 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the welcome and reply the at pro is definitely on my list im thinking about the equinox 600 at pro and at gold mostly but then others keep coming up too makro racer 2 and fisher f22 so i dont really know what to think But something keeps pulling me towards garrett or minelab

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy an Minelab Equinox 600 and you never have to upgrade again. I have the Equinox 800 but i know that everything the 800 will find, the 600 will to. Trust me, i have had the AT Pro and the Equinox is much much better then the AT Pro.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
At $650, the EQ6 is the way to go. Newest tech, and a steal at the price. Good Luck with your decision. (Former ATP owner)

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
EQ 600 or a Tesoro Outlaw with the 3 coil bundle which I use and highly recommend.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Mojave to learn the ropes of metal detecting. Then after you have spent 100 hours in the field detecting, you will know for certain what type of detecting you really enjoy and what unit best suits your favorite type of detecting. The Mojave is beginner friendly, a good all around machine, costs $270 new and comes with a lifetime warranty. If you determine that you don't enjoy detecting, the Mojave will be easy to sell and holds it's value well.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A lot of it is the user. All machines listed here will do the trick. It really amounts to getting to know the machine in hand. Time in with the machine is 70% of the battle. Good luck in making your decision.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are going to get many touting the the machine they use. I believe all the big manufacturers make good machines in all 3 brackets (beginner - Mid Level - High end).

You need to ask yourself a few questions.

How heavy of a machine do you want to swing?

What sounds do you want to hear (Garrett bell tones, Minelab (bwoop bwoop sounds), standard tones, or are you a VCO guy.

What type coil do you like? I prefer DD coils over concentric.

Do you want a detector that charges via a USB cord or do you want one that takes batteries?

Do you need a totally waterproof machine?

What target ID scale are you used to 1-99 or 1-44?

Do you want a machine that can detect in more than one frequency?

I personally started with an el cheapo TC-1023, knew I wanted to see target ID numbers in stead of the meter needle. I also wanted to go to a DD coil so I moved up to a Fisher F4. A few months later I wanted to go deeper so I bought a used F75LTD and have been swinging it ever since (almost 4 years now)

I did have an XP Deus, it can detect in 4 separate freq's, and it's ultra light. Many of my hard core detecting friends use it or the CTX 3030, but the Deus only gave me a tad bit more depth, so I decided to stay with the machine I have the most experience with..

Good luck on whatever you choose.

By the way I bought most of my machines used and have never had an issue.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I totally agree where the EQX is concerned.

I've tested just about every MD on the market and you just can't do any better for $649 than the EQX600. Multi Frequency vs single frequency as on the others and the EQX 600 gives you the option of going to single frequency if you desire. Factory sets for Park, Field and Beach environments and customizable in each as you grow more familiar with your machine. Good at saltwater beaches as well as freshwater beaches and land hunting. Single frequency machines have a real tendency to be unstable in saltwater. And did I mention, the EQX is waterproof? Yes it is. And since ours is an outdoor sport, you'll never have to worry about getting it wet or using it in the water...fresh or salt.

Just the view from my foxhole....

Forgot to mention...if you are military or prior military, Minelab gives you a 15% discount on their detectors.

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These suggestions are right on track, every detector has a few different variables. You will want something with ground balance capabilities, multi frequency is a plus , and with waterproof, you can hunt more areas. The Equinox 600 or AT Series are all good performers with target ID. Give me a shout if you want to talk detector options.

Wayne
(832) 928-9135
www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're new to the hobby you may want to consider getting a machine that is easy to learn and has a low initial cost. You may find that you don't really like the hobby and you've put out a lot of money for something that will collect dust. Even low end machines will find good stuff if you use them correctly.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At $650, the EQ6 is the way to go. Newest tech, and a steal at the price. Good Luck with your decision. (Former ATP owner)
I have a Minelab and the ATP Love them both and prefer one of the other depending on the soils. I like the Minicab for water hunting but the ATP is no slouch in the water either.

Last edited:

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rook3434 hit the nail on the head, it's pretty much learning your machine with lots of dumb luck added.
Also Loco-Digger asks the questions you need to figure out and go from there.
I would suggest if you can check out some local detecting clubs and see if you can try some different brands out before you buy.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The machine you buy is pretty much what you pay for. My added input is buy from a vendor listed here. Keep it "in the family". He has to live with your choice. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread