Hey, VPNavy. Wazzzzup?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn_tn_final.gif

Careful -you will be next!
laughing.gif

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Nun with the ruler is giving me the heebee jeebees! ╦╦Ç

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Nun with the ruler is giving me the heebee jeebees! ╦╦Ç

I missed whatever this thread is about. That's OK, but the Nun with the ruler reminded me of a childhood living nightmare I was forced to endure. My Dad was a living contradiction. The son of a traveling Calvinist preacher ( who dressed in 19th century garb, down to the button up shoes ), my Dad would make us kids sit for hours, while preaching, ranting, or carrying on about Revelations, or Daniel or Sodom and Gomorrah. Really put the fear of God in us. All the while, he's chain smoking Old Gold non filters, and cussing like a sailor.

One summer, I must have been 7 or so, he found out about some like-minded local dairy farmers ( we lived in the country ) who on Wednesday evenings held a children's church. This ancient foul smelling school bus, filled with smokey engine exhaust would drive around the area and pick up us hapless victim children for two hours of terror. The indoctrination was held in a small country chapel with hard wooden pews. There was no talking, laughing, or frolicking allowed. We sat dead silent, my sisters and I, with twenty or so other scared kids listening to how we were all evil and going to Hell, this Hell vividly described by a gruff Bible shaking old man. We were lectured on the sins of the flesh, while lining the walls were a half dozen or so angry looking men armed with 6 foot long bamboo canes, which were liberally applied to any child that even squirmed.

These guys had just come from milking the cows, and were still in their farm boots covered with cow crap, their clothing spattered with same. They stank from that, and from the hard labor they had put in since before the sun rose.

When the berating finally ended, the plate was passed, and we actually gave these people money for the spiritual enlightenment we had received. As we were released to get back on the gas chamber, we were handed a Milky Way, or a Snickers bar.

I was kind of cowed by my father, but after the third week of this, I stood up to him, and refused to go again. As soon as I did this my three sisters, aged 5, 11, and 13, all jumped in and also refused, except they all began crying and carrying on, and describing our ordeal. My Dad relented. I can tell you, the Nun ain't nuthin'.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, great story...u had me cracking up, with visions of the old man spouting the Gospel with a non-filter hangin' outta his mouth. Good stuff...Ddf

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolute truth Krey! The nun was REAL, except it wasn't a ruler, it was one of those "pointer" sticks with the rubber tip. The blackboard thing. I went to Catholic first and then 7th and 8th grades. ╦╦Ç

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolute truth Krey! The nun was REAL, except it wasn't a ruler, it was one of those "pointer" sticks with the rubber tip. The blackboard thing. I went to Catholic first and then 7th and 8th grades. ╦╦Ç

Yeah, I remember those chalk board pointers, and I've heard the stern Nun stories, the sore knuckles. I guess pain judiciously applied, makes us better people, or something like that.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually know Exactly what the Nun with the ruler was all about.

One day in 2nd grade we had an old two spigot water fountain by the back of the school, and there would always be a line of kids waiting in line for a drink, and going in and out of the bathroom. Well one day when standing in line at the right side spigot i got a great idea. I bet, if you stepped on the water pedal, and at the same time, put a finger on the small hole in the spigot, you could douse some hapless kid coming out of the bathroom. Well I waited my turn, and set my plan in motion, and timed my drink for just the right moment when some kid was walking out the bathroom door, and SPLAAAAAT!!! it worked like a charm, and the impressive stream of cold water arched high over the drinking head of the kid on my left, and caught the kid coming out the bathroom squarely on the head.. It was a masterpiece of Geometry, and Physics in Motion. Until.....
As I was busy grinning like a Opossum Eating a Sweet Potato at the Prank I had just pulled, I suddenly felt a cold set of claw like fingers on scruff of my neck that jerked me up and outta there like a rag doll.
Within minutes I found myself standing in front of a class of 6th graders facing the black board while This Nun proceeded to wear the seat of my Britches out with a brand new wooden Meter Stick. It all happened so fast, I didn't really have a chance to be anything but shocked, but needless to say, I never pulled that prank again..

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I remember those chalk board pointers, and I've heard the stern Nun stories, the sore knuckles. I guess pain judiciously applied, makes us better people, or something like that.
Better? Nope. Wiser? Yup. ╦╦Ç

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great stories guys! Reminded me of the prankster, Terry we had in our class in grade school. There was this particular nun that had actually put two kids in the hospital due to her cruelty with the ruler and her demeaner. Anyway, it was our classes year to enjoy her attitude and during the winter, everyone was wearing sweaters so Terry decided to pull fuzz off his sweater and blow it up in the air.

Now picture this event... this nun is walking up and down the aisles by our desks while we are taking a test. She walks past Terry and stops so he blows a gigantic fuzz ball up in the air and it lands on top of her head. That's not good enough for Terry so he stands up and blows at the fuzz ball and it comes loose and falls directly down in front of her face. Terry quickly sits down and she can't figure out what just happened! We're all trying like hell to not laugh because we would get pulverized! Will never forget this one!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I missed whatever this thread is about. That's OK, but the Nun with the ruler reminded me of a childhood living nightmare I was forced to endure. My Dad was a living contradiction. The son of a traveling Calvinist preacher ( who dressed in 19th century garb, down to the button up shoes ), my Dad would make us kids sit for hours, while preaching, ranting, or carrying on about Revelations, or Daniel or Sodom and Gomorrah. Really put the fear of God in us. All the while, he's chain smoking Old Gold non filters, and cussing like a sailor.

One summer, I must have been 7 or so, he found out about some like-minded local dairy farmers ( we lived in the country ) who on Wednesday evenings held a children's church. This ancient foul smelling school bus, filled with smokey engine exhaust would drive around the area and pick up us hapless victim children for two hours of terror. The indoctrination was held in a small country chapel with hard wooden pews. There was no talking, laughing, or frolicking allowed. We sat dead silent, my sisters and I, with twenty or so other scared kids listening to how we were all evil and going to Hell, this Hell vividly described by a gruff Bible shaking old man. We were lectured on the sins of the flesh, while lining the walls were a half dozen or so angry looking men armed with 6 foot long bamboo canes, which were liberally applied to any child that even squirmed.

These guys had just come from milking the cows, and were still in their farm boots covered with cow crap, their clothing spattered with same. They stank from that, and from the hard labor they had put in since before the sun rose.

When the berating finally ended, the plate was passed, and we actually gave these people money for the spiritual enlightenment we had received. As we were released to get back on the gas chamber, we were handed a Milky Way, or a Snickers bar.

I was kind of cowed by my father, but after the third week of this, I stood up to him, and refused to go again. As soon as I did this my three sisters, aged 5, 11, and 13, all jumped in and also refused, except they all began crying and carrying on, and describing our ordeal. My Dad relented. I can tell you, the Nun ain't nuthin'.

Frightening story. Sad how some people can be so misguided. I was a "Great Santini" sort of father and I regret it every moment. I went to Catholic school elementary and high school. The nuns were really something although most were very caring souls. My senior year at HS, one left the sisterhood(?) and went off and got married. Big scandal. I feel for her, it must have been a very difficult decision to make.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions