Newbie-do I really need a pointer \if so recommendations?

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saves time after you dig the plug. When you're on your knees over a hole the detector is too long to swing and find the target. My Garret carrot goes right down the hole and finds the target. Get the higher priced of the two Garrets, it's better. I wouldn't detect without it. Gary

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a big fan of getting up and down off my knees for sure. Thanks for weighing in!

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I once forgot my propointer, didn't notice until I was about to start detecting. I thought I would just do without it that day. After a few holes I went home and got it. It's a necessity after you've used it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was a big waste of money, until I got one. Saves you a lot of time searching holes for that elusive coin or relic.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
If you have a pointer do you use it or is it a fun gadget.

Think of it like indoor plumbing, air conditioning, or maybe sliced bread. If you've never had it, you're fine without it. Once you've used it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it, and you'll be very reluctant to go back to not having it.

I don't leave home without a pointer. (Literally. I keep one in the car, just in case I forget to bring one.)

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessary, but something handy to have on some problem targets. Your detector is your primary tool, learn to use it to pinpoint before you ever begin retrieval, and you can grab the detector wand close to the coil to re-detect in a hole without standing back up again.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I know from experience with other hobbies you can try to buy skill or talent,but this sounds like it would be a good idea if you are more than a casual detector. Which I hope to be in time.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Digging in the dirt you most definitely need a pinpointer.
At the beach (think sand) I don’t use one although there are those that will use a pinpointer for targets at the beach.
Pinpointers are great for checking targets that are very close to the surface. Saves you some digging time.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
For the money, get the Garrett Carrott. Uses a 9 volt.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much easier with one than without. Wouldn’t leave home without it.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hunted for 40 years without one , not so bad but the pinpointer helps find faster . a quality digging tool really helps to. the quicker you find your target the more time swinging to find more. only makes sense...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The object of detecting is to find the object as quick as possible Fill the hole and make it look as if no one has dug there and move on !! Now the amount of time it saves you is unbelievable. You will dig far less if you use one. With out one you will keep removing dirt with your hands passing the dirt over the coil. When you can just stick the pin pointer in the hold you can find it and it will even tell you how far away from it you are (With a Garrett Carrot) .It is for finding mostly but can save a lot of digging. I would buy the Garrett Carrot @@@@ Hope this helps

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: Metal detecting is a numbers game; locate target, retrieve target and replace plug. Of the three mentioned retrieving is the most time consuming of the group, a Pin Pointer will reduce this factor.

GL & HH

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hear is your question-"Newbie-do I really need a pointer \if so recommendations?" The answer is no but!!!!it is so much nicer, faster, more fun, if you do. Many of the items that are detected in the soil will take on the same texture and look of the soil and you can have it in a handful of soil and not even know it. I found a 14 k ring and it was just another clump in the spoil until my pointer said it was not. The second portion to your question is I would strongly recommend the Whites TRX. After this thread we are going to remove the "newbie" title and enter "seasoned":icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hillbilly Prince,

You live in a beautiful area! In 2012, I had the pleasure of teaching a two week summer course in the "Engineering Design Process" at Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla. The Rolla people were wonderful and the campus was perfect! I did have many after dinner treats at this little hidden bakery (wish I could remember the name...very small and had only a few tables) that had famous pies...my poison, most days, was the Mississippi Mud Pie. I think the price was $4.95 per slice (almost 1/4 of the pie). Great memories!

Regards,

Doc

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this is a yes or no question, i will give it a shot. No, you do not NEED a pinpointer. Please let me know if i got the question right. 8-)

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't rely on the depth gauges featured on today's detectors. IMO the best advancement in the hobby was pin pointers.

Each time I get a solid signal, I first use my pin pointer to check the signal. The range of my Garrett Carrot is about 2 1/2 to 3". If the Carrot gets the signal, then I stick my screwdriver under the target and pop it out without having to dig - saves time and eliminates having to dig a plug - thus saving the grass versus leaving dead spots in someone's grass.

If the Carrot doesn't find it, then it's a 3 sided flap I flip over and then use the Carrot again.

Pin pointers help us prevent ugly spots in parks and homeowner's lawns.

We want to leave each site as if we'd never been there.

We didn't have tools like this early on, and I see this development as one of the better advancements hunting today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread