Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when i was a kid, you could buy a Heathkit and build your own metal detector. Sounds like a fun project.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
When I was a little one I asked my dad for a metal detector for Christmas. He got me a radio shack kit that I had to build. It would detect an aluminum can yards away from the coil but would barely find a surface coin.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are right Ammoman. Heathkit was a wonderful place to purchase electronics kits for people to learn electronics. I still have a few Heathkit robots Hero 1 and Hero Jr.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know of one place "Electronix Express and RSR Electronics" that sells a metal detector kit, it really cannot be used in the field, but you will have fun building the kit and learning the circuit operation. :icon_thumleft:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a knowledge sharing experience for a rainy day, then go for it. I have too many other things to do.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat place! Lots of interesting stuff there.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses, guys. Maybe something to look at this winter if time permits.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
My old neighbor growing up could build anything. He was a TV antenna/TV repairman and a recreational pilot. He built from parts a helicopter, airplane, an ultra light, satellite TV and short wave radio's which all worked. I bet he could of.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, heck yeah! If you have a background in electronics or want to learn about it, by all means do some research and build your own. There are some good, fairly easy to build plans on the internet for a beat frequency detector. I've been looking at plans for a pulse induction detector. Looks like a project I will do over the winter but need to do much more research.

The BFO detector is fairly easy to understand. That type of detector uses two oscillators that are closely tuned to each other so there is no interference between the two. When the search coil passes over a metallic object, the object changes the inductance of the coil which changes the frequency of one of the oscillators. The result is a tone that can be heard. I will say, however, that the BFO can be a bit of a pain to keep tuned but it is still a great way to learn how some detectors work. As an old friend who taught me to rebuild the engine on my first truck said, "it is good to know the ass that bears thee."

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverdog do some PI kits

chub

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
heck if you just want to learn about metal detecting buy an Equinox 800. Once you figure it out and start finding actual treasure, you will have learned a lot about metal detecting.
I am an 800 owner so I know what I am talking about. I learned a ton about metal detecting trying to figure out how to use its many features.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet you did! I was curious from a hobbyist standpoint.
I bought one computer in the nineties and thereafter built my own from parts.
I have no doubt the 800 manual would seem like gibberish to me at first.
I want a 600 or 800 in time.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Back when i was a kid, you could buy a Heathkit and build your own metal detector. Sounds like a fun project.

Use to play some rock music back in the day and Heathkit was my first Bass speaker system. Didn't know they made detectors.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I know this is not practical since you can easily own a great MD. However, since this place is riddled with tinkers, and people with a great deal of tech knowledge i wonder if anyone has tried or thought of trying to make a MD?
Perhaps a rare earth magnet on a string to start...

It's not the detector for me. I need someone to dig it.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread