Getting wood for the stove-bad experience

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met the most unpleasant woman the other day.

Went with a friend to pick up some cut wood that had been laying under some lines in the easement for about a month. One of the residents nearby had asked the power company to leave the wood and they would pick it up. My friend had that person tell him he could pick up the picked over remains. The resident did pick the easy stuff up, all cut up nice and light. My friend and I had loaded the truck with longer pieces Hickory which they could not move being too heavy. We had heard word of mouth that the power company was getting pissed because their lines had logs under them for so long.

So this woman drives up and stopped next to us in the middle of the road. She screams out her window "You can't take that it's ours!"

She stated that it was on her property, in the easement. My friend recognized her as a town resident and having just bought a property a city block or three down the road asked her name. She didn't answer, instead replying that the person who asked the power company to leave the wood said they could have it. I was sitting their watching them start raising their voices.

So I calmly and cheeerfully says to her, "Our truck is already loaded. If its your wood where do you want us to unload it?"

"What!" She says.

I repeated my offer which i sincerely meant. My friend looked sad but he didn't object. She gets this foul look on her face, waves us off, says "Just take whats loaded and don't load any more!", then drove off.

So we loaded up a bit more as a matter of principle. These people are my friend's new neighbors. We really were ready to dump it next to her splitter or where ever. No sense dumping ot back in the ditch and sure as heck not below the power lines. Awful queer of her to refuse the offer as if she was offended. ???

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You caught her off guard and disarmed her. She probably realized she was behaving badly and retreated from the issue a little less than gracefully due to her embarrassment.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah ,the landowner may have told multiple people they could have it.
Due to wanting it gone! Not someday. Today.
So lady , hurry up and get $@#^ hot and start grabbin if you want some. Why expect the owner to keep waiting on just one party when nothing gets done?
L.o.l..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duckshot, you did the right thing against bad odds. You acted like a good neighbor, and the woman was "Godsmacked." Good on ya brother!!:hello2:

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on Relevant Chair. That's what I figure.

The power company wasn't about to spend the money to send out another truck until a line went down. If the lines above the scattered logs failed a couple sections and maybe a dozen neighbors might have to wait in the dark for another truck and a front end loader.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Sir have the patience of JOB I am afraid I may have told her to take a long walk on the short pier

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What an awesome way to handle a situation for the better. You set the example for us.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same thing 20 or so years ago. Was cutting some tree tops out of the road that a storm had brought down. A guy came up behind me with my saw running. Asking what I'm doing, it's his property. I apologized and said I didn't mean to trespass. Asked where he wanted it. I drove up the road a few hundred feet and they took 3-4 thick pieces off the truck. Let me have the smaller stuff. I made a friend that day and he gave me permission to deer hunt and trap his 80 acres. Our kids were on the same soccer team through high school. He eventually got divorced, sold the land and moved. I really liked hunting that land. Now it's houses.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did she have a 1,000 foot easement from her property, down the block that far down. If so she owes a lot of taxes to the CITY!!!!!!!!! HH

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, this is farmland and wetlands, quarter section and eighth section lots. Like I said the lines only service about a dozen people. With the emerald ash borers the power company has lots of tree cutters right now. When they come through to clear ash they pretty much clear everything. And there is still dying ash on the opposite side of the street.

My stores are depleted but I don't think we will be wanting for firewood this season.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same thing 20 or so years ago. Was cutting some tree tops out of the road that a storm had brought down. A guy came up behind me with my saw running. Asking what I'm doing, it's his property. I apologized and said I didn't mean to trespass. Asked where he wanted it. I drove up the road a few hundred feet and they took 3-4 thick pieces off the truck. Let me have the smaller stuff. I made a friend that day and he gave me permission to deer hunt and trap his 80 acres. Our kids were on the same soccer team through high school. He eventually got divorced, sold the land and moved. I really liked hunting that land. Now it's houses.

Nice, I'm glad it worked out for both of you.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely handled.
It sounds like she was trying to intimidate you guys.
You took the wind out of her sails by offering to deliver the wood. Probably the last thing she was expecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread