Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find very few coins around cellar holes, probably because they're an obvious spot to detect. Almost all of them have been done to death over the past 40 years.

Most of my large cents and King George coppers have been found near stone walls (within 10 feet of them). I've found a few in open fields, but going along stone walls will net you the most colonial coinage.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless a spot is really trashy, I dig it all. I use zero discrimination and pro zero mode on my AT Pro. I also turn off the iron audio, which just annoys me. You can always ignore the under 40 signals, if you start digging too much junk.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if people has the same success in the fields around the Cellar hole as they do in the immediate area round house foundation?
welcome any input, Tips

Thanks

I will tell you this - when I was a kid and guys would hit cellar holes - they all used to hunt maybe 30-40 yrds around the cellar holes
and that's it - back then people owned 100+ acres around their houses but up here most are over grown - areas that were clear
cut back then - are now forests again - but large percentage of those holes -the farm land way out have been untouched
I know of a few guys that have ventured out away from those holes now - finds are few and far between sometimes - but
know of some awesome finds too found 100 yrds away from the holes ---also hunting follow the stone walls can be good -
once again up here we have like a million miles of walls - and it takes a lot of hiking - but know of a few guys that have pulled
some nice finds way out - you got to have the health and the time to go all day and many times you might get nada
but all it takes is one good find to make your day

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most likely places to find coins at cellars are front yard, where ever they parked carriages, clothes line area, and between well/outhouse and the hole. At least this has been my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread