Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Metal detectors will no longer find todays coins in the future....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Aug 2018
    Toronto
    Teknetics Delta 4000, DIY TGSL, Tesoro soon (which model TBA)
    13 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Metal detectors will no longer find todays coins in the future....

With the advancement of smart phones, it will eventually become a cashless society. In the future no more coins will be minted, meaning at one point in the future history, coins will stop at a certain time by future metal detectorist.

What are your thoughts on this reality?
    Slowtaknow likes this.

us
    TrashFinder

Mar 2013
    51st state - Jefferson
    Delta 4000, Whites Treasure Pro
    15 times
    I just saw in the News where I think it is the Netherlands(?) will stop using cash by 2020. That will, they say, cause problems with tourists and such. I'm not sure if it will be a credit/debit or a new type of selling and buying. Maybe a mark on their hand or forehead? If so, it won't matter much because other things will happen that metal detectors will not be a priority at all.

May 2017
    1266 times
    Two thoughts on this:

1) Today's coins are JUNK. Here in the US, the coin designs have been absolutely terrible. The State Quarters were semi-cool, but most patterns were too busy to be readable. Way too much stuff jammed into a small space. The 'shield' penny is a joke; it could've been designed by a 1st grader, and the new nickels are pretty bad too. Conclusion: the last good coin design was the Bicentennial Quarter. Almost everything clad is worth no more than face value, and unlike silver and 100% copper today's coins come out of the ground all tarnished and chipped and crappy-looking.

In other words, NO BIG LOSS.

2) My other thought is that one day, hopefully soon, someone will come up with a detector that goes significantly deeper. Imagine a detector that could accurately pick out coins up to two feet deep. This would essentially open up ALL PAST PERMISSIONS to be re-searched; every single inch of ground could yield amazing vintage coins, and because of the extra depth the coins would be VERY OLD on average.

To me, #2 is an exciting possibility that I'd like to see happen in my lifetime. Just imagine going back to all your best 'picked over' spots and cashing in on all the stuff you waltzed right over with even the best metal detectors of today.

A cashless future is inevitable. But as detectorists? We're looking for history. Today's zincoln-lincolns aren't history. Heck, they're barely even coins as far as I'm concerned.

'Nuff said!

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5175 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yup and we're all going to pay for everything with Bitcoin and all the other (soon to be worthless) cryptos. Don't hold your breath on this future.

There are still many people in this world who do not have a credit card or a checking account. And if they don't have those, they certainly don't own a smartphone! They live paycheck to paycheck and pay cash for everything. There's no way it will become a cashless society in the near future, so no need to worry about that.

Charter Member
    us
    Well reasoned and delightfully brutal

Mar 2008
    WA
    Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
    1352 times
    For a long time, humans were willing to put up with the inconvenience of coins because they were necessary. They're no longer necessary, and there are more convenient ways to pay for things. Now it's simply a matter convincing people that there's a better way (that they're already using!), but that's a nearly impossible task.

Going cashless became a good idea right around the same time that fiat currency became the norm. Fiat currency is just tokens representing promises. It has no value beyond what we've collectively assigned to it. Seeing as we've already gone cashless in every important sense, keeping cash around is completely illogical. We only do it because we tend to resist change, and we're wired to do irrational things and then attempt to rationalize them later. This is exactly why cash will be around for a while - we, as a society, are too emotional and irrational to exchange a suboptimal practice for one that would work better.

You heard it here first: We're not going completely cashless any time soon, even though it would make complete sense to adopt something better. Exhibit A is the US cent. Exhibit B is the US dollar coin. We'll be digging up rotted zincolns for some time to come, even though it's quite literally a waste of public funds.
    Avatar taken from "The Biting Pear of Salamanca." See the original here: http://ursulav.deviantart.com/art/Th...manca-29677500

Charter Member
    us
    Well reasoned and delightfully brutal

Mar 2008
    WA
    Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
    1352 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Yup and we're all going to pay for everything with Bitcoin and all the other (soon to be worthless) cryptos. Don't hold your breath on this future.
    Or with their credit card, or checks, or direct deposit, or Paypal, or debit card, or whatever. There are plenty of mainstream options for going cashless. You may be using a few yourself. I've used one a few times today.

There are still many people in this world who do not have a credit card or a checking account. And if they don't have those, they certainly don't own a smartphone! They live paycheck to paycheck and pay cash for everything.
    Would you consider this segment of the population to be a minority or a majority, and how much money do they have? These are important questions to ask in a representative republic.

There's no way it will become a cashless society in the near future, so no need to worry about that.
    Agreed, but for completely different reasons. It'll be another generation or two. People don't like to change, but today's children probably don't even understand cash for the most part. By the time that they're running the government, us folks that grew up with cash will be long gone. That's when it will happen. Most people won't even notice, as most people don't use cash on anything approaching a regular basis today, let alone thirty years from now.

I'm still astonished that there are people in this world that think fiat currency is worth anything other than what we all agree that it's worth. And when our currency is only worth what we all agree that it's worth, we may as well be using wampum. Actually, we'd be better off using wampum. It makes far more sense than dollar bills and fractional coins.
    Avatar taken from "The Biting Pear of Salamanca." See the original here: http://ursulav.deviantart.com/art/Th...manca-29677500

Feb 2017
    480 times
    Most small denomination coins over the world are really trash: Copper and brass washed steel. Wont hold more than few years in the ground.

But thats not the point .....

Are these electronic payment methods free? No, there is nothing like free lunch! In fact they are acting like a small second or tertiary sales tax. In theory, therfore all your economists should therefore be against them since every macroeconomic textbook tells you to keep "transaction costs" as low as possible to keep economy going as freely as possible. 0.001% on every transaction in the US keeps adding up...................

Are these payment methods absolutely anonymous? Some are (google up the Hong Kong octopus card) and running well since decades. For some reasons this is ignored and instead you should pay with your identfiable smartphone. Hmmmm.....................

No people, I pay as much as I can cash and I promote to do so in every person I meet.

Regards & thanks to reading my rants

Namxat

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2480 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    There are people today already happily accepting the mark. In the future one will not be able to buy or sell without it.
    Not looking forward to that.
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.
    When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2917 times
    I understand what your saying about the future of coins and metal detecting, most likely your right, but at least I'M thinking that for our great-grand children, they will still have the thrill of finding the treasure of those dandy pull-tabs for centuries to come.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    22015 times
    I'm a tadlanair now.
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8064 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsignal888 View Post
    With the advancement of smart phones, it will eventually become a cashless society. In the future no more coins will be minted, meaning at one point in the future history, coins will stop at a certain time by future metal detectorist.

What are your thoughts on this reality?
    \
    I guess those of us who don't have smart phones will starve to death.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    16025 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    There are people today already happily accepting the mark. In the future one will not be able to buy or sell without it.
    Not looking forward to that.
    same here but i'm not getting it
    rook3434 and TxDigger2 like this.
    Hoping to join the Marines one day

'Give me liberty or death'. Patrick Henry

us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1412 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    I understand what your saying about the future of coins and metal detecting, most likely your right, but at least I'M thinking that for our great-grand children, they will still have the thrill of finding the treasure of those dandy pull-tabs for centuries to come.
    Not if I find them all first! Bwahaha!
    HH
    dts

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29092 times
    Don't hold your breath. I have less than zero use for fake money.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Apr 2018
    Central Alabama
    Minelab Safari
    500 times
    Metal detectors will always finds today’s coins unless they evaporate. There are billions of coins on this planet, they’ll always be there to detect. People in Europe regularly pull 5-600 year old coins out of the ground so I’m positive we’re fine for a while. I realize that modern coins won’t last THAT long but I’m not worried at all

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links