The Progression of Coin Finds

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm somewhat new to metal detecting with a little over a year of going out 1 or two times a month.

I'm just wondering if my progression of finding keepers is similar to others out there in TNet world.

1st All the junk and the random clad coin.
2nd The clad comes and you need a coffee can to throw it in.
3rd The Wheat penny finds
4th The Mercury Dime phase - I had to find ten Mercuries before I found my first silver Roosevelt
5th Ring phase - started finding rings - went from none to three in a few days.
6th Buffalo and War Nickels - none in over a year of hunting - now four in two in a month

I'm really feel like I'm learning my DFX and it keeps getting better. The more I use it and learn the tones the less junk and more keepers.

I've just entered this nickel phase and I'm wondering if there are any other phases that you have experienced. What do I have to look forward to?

In addition to the above list I'm found silver quarters, halves, a Barber dime, Indian cents, large cents and foreign coins but they did not seem to form any patterns like the others above.

Thanks for reading and happy hunting.

NJ

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I don't know about "phases" if you've only been out 24 times or so in a year, but here's mine-

clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, wheatie, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, buffalo, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, merc, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, seated, clad, clad, clad, clad, silver ring, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, dollar, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, half, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, gold rings, clad, clad, clad.

Interspersed heavily with junk, junk, junk, junk. Oh, and nails too. :)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Your finds in order are exact as mine.......I found clad, then a bunch of mercs........6 mercs to one Rosie in the first 3 months, then started finding rings, found a gold ring about two months ago, and a few weeks ago found my first buff. It's only a question of time before Tom and I turn the park upside down looking for the rest of those buffs. Nickel phase for sure.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Dude...you have to get out more! (borrowing the term dude from Kirk) Not sure if he has a copyright on it! ;D The phase you are missing...addiction...maybe the one you skipped... ;)

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeffro said:
I don't know about "phases" if you've only been out 24 times or so in a year, but here's mine-

clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, wheatie, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, buffalo, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, merc, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, seated, clad, clad, clad, clad, silver ring, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, dollar, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, half, clad, clad, clad, clad, clad, gold rings, clad, clad, clad.

Interspersed heavily with junk, junk, junk, junk. Oh, and nails too. :)

I know...I want to get out more and I should be able to in the next few weeks. Hey in all that clad I see some gold rings and a seated. Not to bad.
HH

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DFX-Gregg said:
Dude...you have to get out more! (borrowing the term dude from Kirk) Not sure if he has a copyright on it! ;D The phase you are missing...addiction...maybe the one you skipped... ;)

Gregg,
Each phase is part of an era called addiction.

I will get out more...I hope. Had two houses I was paying mortgages on but rented one at the beginning of the month. Still have two jobs but one is only part time. Was recently married and did an addition on the house we are living in. On top of all that my daughter is four and just started playing soccer. I was lucky to get out one or twice a month. Going forward my goal is to get out at least once a week even if it is for a short time.

Good luck with your goal....I'm pulling for you.

HH

NJ

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
N.J.THer said:
DFX-Gregg said:

Gregg,
Each phase is part of an era called addiction.

I will get out more...I hope. Had two houses I was paying mortgages on but rented one at the beginning of the month. Still have two jobs but one is only part time. Was recently married and did an addition on the house we are living in. On top of all that my daughter is four and just started playing soccer. I was lucky to get out one or twice a month. Going forward my goal is to get out at least once a week even if it is for a short time.

Good luck with your goal....I'm pulling for you.

HH

NJ

Thanks working midnights and hunting in morning after work is what gave me the time...Being on vacation for 18 days now...and 18 more in October should really put a major dent in it! Good luck getting out once a week. A few times I felt like giving up..once even took four straight days off...I came back and realized people were pulling for me and on one forum they even have a contest for me...that was the motivation I needed...now it is just finishing it up... :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
yeah, guys who get into it within the last 10-ish years, and hook up with an old pro. sometimes "skip" the obligatory phases. clad, to wheaties, to barbers, to seateds, blah blah. I hunt with a relative newbie now. Since I was first guy he hunted with, on our quest for reales, he even thinks that later seateds are a bummer now. I think to myself "heck, if I'd have found ANY seateds in the late 1970s, I'd have been elated!" But since he sees the goal as reales (1770s/early 1800s) seateds seems "new" to him, haha.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
yeah, guys who get into it within the last 10-ish years, and hook up with an old pro. sometimes "skip" the obligatory phases. clad, to wheaties, to barbers, to seateds, blah blah. I hunt with a relative newbie now. Since I was first guy he hunted with, on our quest for reales, he even thinks that later seateds are a bummer now. I think to myself "heck, if I'd have found ANY seateds in the late 1970s, I'd have been elated!" But since he sees the goal as reales (1770s/early 1800s) seateds seems "new" to him, haha.

Yeah I know what you mean. I started off alone and at first I didn't even want anyone to see me detecting which made finding the nice stuff hard. Now I don't care who sees me. I'm looking to hook up with some of the older pros in my area. One I saw last night showed me a few finds from his last couple of weeks and it included a 5$ Gold piece (his first gold coin after 30 years), a silver trime and a 2 center. I would love to find any of those or a reale. One day.... I did find a 1790s large cent but it is very corroded. I guess whatever your goal is, that is what keeps you going out and hunting.

HH

NJ

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you tend to get better over time at metal detecting -- plus learning to understand what your machines "telling" you cuts down on wasted effort that and learning the value of good research --tends to improve both your find rate and types of finds--- * nickles* phaze good--- cuz gold and nickles go together like french fries and catsup--- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread