metal detecting in 1989 Minelab GT 16000 and Gold Dust Twins question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found an old issue of Modern Gold Miner and treasure hunter magzine April 1989. It was an interesting re-read today. Seems like they were just introducing the Minelab GT 16000 gold metal detector. I am thinking it was one of the first detectors designed by Bruce Candy since he was mentioned in the review of the GT 16000.

The review in the magazine barely told you anything other than features. Compared today, you really didn't have any fair comparisons between models and brands back then. We now have these great MD forums and youtube videos. There isn't much you can't learn about a new metal detector if your try.

So my question is how was the Minelab GT 16000 compared to the other gold metal detectors of that time period? Did it turn out to be a classic like the CTX 3030?

Also it seems that back then a business in Az called the Gold Dust Twins were the sole importer of Minelab metal detectors and they only had about 6 dealers in the US. I cannot find anything today about if the Gold Dust Twins exist today or they morphed into another MD dealership. Anyone know the history of the Gold Dust Twins? All I could find was that the Gold Dust Twins was this on wiki.

The Gold Dust Twins, the trademark for Fairbank's Gold Dust Washing Powder products, appeared in printed media as early as 1892. "Goldie" and "Dusty", the original Gold Dust Twins, were often shown doing household chores together. Seems like they were a set of adult black twins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread