Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: HORROR STORIES

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    554 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    I had a Mercury Comet Coupe that was titled as a 1964 and came from the factory with a 283 Cu. Inch Engine, 4 Speed in the Floor, Carpet, Leather Seats and an Alternator. I found out before entering the U.S. Army that the car had an Aluminum Body but did not find out what that meant until many years later. Shortly after entering the U.S. Army, I gave the car to my Brother-In-Law because I owed him so much money and he sold the car. It was actually an Experimental or Test Car and Lincoln-Mercury was apparently testing the use of Alternators on other Models (Lincoln Continentals were the only Lincoln-Mercury cars that came with an Alternator in 1964 and before) and is worth a mint today.
    are you sure the motor was not a 289 ? a 283 was a chevrolet .
    huntsman53 and DeepseekerADS like this.
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

us
    Dec 2017
    Kentucky
    Garrett Ace 350
    146 times
    I started collecting baseball cards in 1987, had alot of complete sets and also some starting lineup figures all in the original packages! Moved out of a duplex in 2001 that my sister and I had been sharing! Accidently left the entire collection that I had stored in a trunk in the bedroom closet of the duplex while moving! By the time I realized it, someone had already got it!
    gold boy, mdj, Ogre1190 and 1 others like this.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    2834 times
    I threw away a gold watch. I had had it for years and was concerned about someone breaking in and it being stolen while I was on vacation so I rolled it into a thick pair of socks. Some months later I was going through the sock drawer and tossed some socks that I never wore. Yup, that included the one with the gold watch in it. Of course I didn’t remember until after trash pickup. Still makes me sick to think about.
    Last edited by SusanMN; Aug 29, 2018 at 09:22 PM.
    trdking, mdj, gold boy and 2 others like this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5234 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    are you sure the motor was not a 289 ? a 283 was a chevrolet .
    Yep, it was a 289! It was late and I made a typo from being tired. Thanks for catching it!
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    3101 times
    Sold it to the local antique shop for $10 because I needed money to eat.
    Ya eat money?

Seriously, that must have been a bad day.

I lost a Beretta 390 Silver Mallard in a card game once. Three card, threes and nines wild. I was the only one in against the deck with three queens and the dealer flipped thee kings. The pot was only like $300 but I did not have it and I got greedy.
    gold boy and Oddjob like this.
    "There can be no self-government without self-discipline. There can be no self-government without self-control. There can be no liberty unless it is grounded in moral discipline and the ability to do what is right." ~ Dr. Alan Keyes

Liberty is the freedom to carry out God's will. In God We Trust.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5234 times
    At the end of July in 1977, the American Express in Giessen, Germany (West Germany at the time) was exchanging uncirculated German Olympic Coins for U.S. Dollars at the normal Exchange Rate. We (myself, wife and daughter) were getting ready to leave Germany and would need most of my' paycheck for the transfer to home then to Fort Sheridan but I thought I could make some fast cash, so I cashed in most of my' pay for the Olympic Coins. After shopping them around to many locations in Giessen with no luck, I finally had to exchange the coins back to U.S. Dollars at the Dresdner Bank in Giessen and lost $20 on the exchange. There was somewhere between 30 and 40 pounds of 65% Silver Coins that I cashed back in in early August of 1977. Well as luck has it, Silver went slightly above $50 an ounce in January of 1980 due to the Hunt brothers trying to corner and manipulate the Silver Market. I lost thousands of dollars because I did not and could not afford to hold onto the German Olympic Coins.
    mdj, gold boy and coinman123 like this.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Bought 50 shares of Facebook stock at $42.00 a share when they had their IPO in 2012. Scottrade waited 4 days before they placed it in my account. By then it was already down to $35.00 a share. Sold it a few months later for $20 a share, taking a $1,100 loss on it. Those 50 shares are currently worth $8,875.00, by the way...
    I tried to buy 5000 share at IPO and kicked myself because the transaction wouldn't go through. Bought it later for 17.50 Still have it!
    FreeBirdTim and huntsman53 like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre1190 View Post
    Toss up: 3,500 comic books from the 50's and 60's that Mom took to the thrift store and got $.25/bundle for...or my 1958 Corvette that I bought for $1600 and sold for a whopping $2200? 😭
    Nevermind...just kick me. Hard.
    I have a 59 fuel and a 60 2x4 They are so much fun to drive!
    Ogre1190 likes this.

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4625 times
    I bought a Patek & Philippe Split second chronograph One button control. Extremely complicated Paid $6800 when I was 17 Emptied my bank account sold my camaro and borrowed 1200 from my sister. Had to HAVE it. 10 months later I needed start up capitol for a construction venture and sold it for 12,500. GREAT RETURN Right? I followed that watch one of 2 made right up to its sale in 2014 for a clean 1,000,000.00 and then straight to antiquorum in switzerland 6 months later for 1.5M drats!
    Ogre1190, mdj, gold boy and 2 others like this.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    1945 times
    Metal Detecting
    That reminded me...the 1870-ish gold Elgin pocket watch that was stolen outta my car the one - ONE - night I forgot to lock the doors! 😖 Grrrr.
    trdking, mdj and gold boy like this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5234 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    I bought a Patek & Philippe Split second chronograph One button control. Extremely complicated Paid $6800 when I was 17 Emptied my bank account sold my camaro and borrowed 1200 from my sister. Had to HAVE it. 10 months later I needed start up capitol for a construction venture and sold it for 12,500. GREAT RETURN Right? I followed that watch one of 2 made right up to its sale in 2014 for a clean 1,000,000.00 and then straight to antiquorum in switzerland 6 months later for 1.5M drats!
    Ouch!!
    trdking likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15427 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I had a Mercury Comet Caliente Coupe that was titled as a 1964 and came from the factory with a 289 Cu. Inch Engine, 4 Speed in the Floor, Carpet, Leather Seats and an Alternator. I found out before entering the U.S. Army that the car had an Aluminum Body but did not find out what that meant until many years later. Shortly after entering the U.S. Army, I gave the car to my Brother-In-Law because I owed him so much money and he sold the car. It was actually an Experimental or Test Car and Lincoln-Mercury was apparently testing the use of Alternators on other Models (Lincoln Continentals were the only Lincoln-Mercury cars that came with an Alternator in 1964 and before) and is worth a mint today.
    Same here! Mine was burgundy. I gave it to my Cousin Earl when I went in the army, and never saw it again. That baby was actually very fast, buried the hand in 3rd and wound out from there. I'd have killed myself in it anyway.....
    mdj, trdking and huntsman53 like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5234 times
    Around the same time of my German Silver Olympic Coin debacle (late July of 1977), I made more screw ups which I wish I could go back and change at least one. Just before we (myself, wife and daughter) left West Germany, I sold my' 1969 Ford Fairlane 500. The Fairlane 500 which was a Banana Yellow with a Black Vinyl Top, had Black Rolled Interior, a 429 Cu. Inch Engine with a Holley Dual Line 4-Barrel Carburetor, a 4 Speed in the floor with Hurst Shifter, L-60 14 Inch Tires and Deep-well Rims on the Back, regular 14s on the front and had Air Shocks on the Back. I was clocked in the car at well over 200 mph on the Karlsruhe Autobahn by a U.S. Army CW2 Helicopter Pilot who was driving one of the last 15 (either late 1974 or early 1975) Ford De Tomaso Pantera GT or GTS cars ever built for Ford. I could have driven the 1969 Fairlane 500 to Bremerhaven, West Germany and placed it on a ship for transport back to the States but since I drove so much for my Unit, 70th Transportation Company of the 106th Transportation Battalion of the 37th Transportation Group, I saw no way to get the car there. Instead, I ordered a 1977 Ford F-150 Pickup Truck which I was supposed to pick up in Dearborn, Michigan. Well, Ford canceled the order on me, so I had to order a 1978 Ford F-150 and put my' Fairlane 500 up for sale. The Warrant Officer who clocked my' Fairlane 500 at over 200 mph on the Karlsruhe Autobahn just happened to also be stationed in Giessen, heard that I was selling the Fairlane and wanted to do a trade. He would take my' Fairlane 500 in on trade for the Ford De Tomaso Pantera, giving me a really good trade and I would make payments on the $9,000 balance to him. I asked why he would want to trade such a nice Sports Car and he stated that he could not afford the Automobile Insurance on the car since the German Insurance Companies really took Sports Car Owners to the Cleaners while they were really cheap on my' car because they had no idea how to rate it insurance-wise. I told the Warrant Officer that it was a great deal but I had already ordered a 1978 Ford F-150 from Ford. In after thought, I could have canceled the order for the Pickup, taken the deal with the Warrant Officer and ended up with a car that is worth over $100,000 today or could have had my' 1969 Ford Fairlane 500 shipped to the States where my cousin could have helped me beef it up for it to win many Drag Race Heats and Races since Ed builds and has built many winning Drag Strip Cars. As luck has it, Ford never built the 1978 Ford F-150 that I had ordered due to the gear ratio I wanted in the 5 Speed Transmission and gear ratio I wanted in the Rear-end.
    Last edited by huntsman53; Aug 30, 2018 at 12:30 AM.
    DeepseekerADS and mdj like this.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4625 times
    Ouch!!
    Tell me about it. Of all my life time of scores, this is THE ONE that got away. It used to haunt me but now I just tell myself I made my money and let it go. Cant cry over spilt milk. I also owned of of the first corvettes ever made 1953 That I bought as a disassembled basket case out of the mechanics shed of Cormier Chevrolet for 6K No-one really wanted the 6 cylinder C1's Back then. I painted it rebuilt the engine and reassembled the car and sold it for 25,500.00 Wahooooooo!!!! What are they 175,000K now?
    mdj likes this.

us
    Nov 2014
    Massachusetts
    Minelab SE pro
    798 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I was young kid and still learning about coins and collecting when this happened. My grandfather had given me a number of coins, one of which turned out to be a 1955 double die Lincoln Cent. I don't even think he knew what he had...it was stuck into one of those blue Whitman collection books and I noticed it was a double die. Well some "friend" (who knew better than me) offered me some other random coins for it in trade and I went for it. I can still picture that coin in my mind to this day and I have no doubt that it is currently worth thousands. Ugh.
    trdking, mdj and coinman123 like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 William & Mary halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Fernando VI One Reale
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Best spill: 1 Barber Qtr, 4 seated dimes, 1 Barber dime, 1 V nickle
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links