Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: HORROR STORIES

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5154 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I tried to buy 5000 share at IPO and kicked myself because the transaction wouldn't go through.
    I was happy mine didn't go through the day of the IPO. But the corrupt bankers (with help from the corrupt stock brokers) dumped the stock on poor saps like me four days later. The banks got their $42 a share and then it tanked. That debacle is the main reason I haven't bought any stocks in six years.

The stock market is corrupt to the core. Insider trading, insider information, short selling and so on makes it tough for the average person to have a chance in the stock market.
    DeepseekerADS and trdking like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15427 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Lost a lot of money in the market in the 80's. Corrupt is my impression = as was my broker (E F Hutton).

When he called I lost money.
    FreeBirdTim, trdking and gold boy like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5154 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Bought it later for 17.50 Still have it!
    You bought 5,000 shares at $17.50? The current value of 5,000 shares of FB is $875,000. You're rich, dude! Sell some of those shares before Zuckerberg kills all the value in it. He's been selling around 200,000 shares every week trying to lock in his profits. He obviously knows something's rotten at Facebook or he wouldn't be dumping millions of shares over the past few months.
    Davers, trdking, lastleg and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    5053 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikebk03 View Post
    I started collecting baseball cards in 1987, had alot of complete sets and also some starting lineup figures all in the original packages! Moved out of a duplex in 2001 that my sister and I had been sharing! Accidently left the entire collection that I had stored in a trunk in the bedroom closet of the duplex while moving! By the time I realized it, someone had already got it!
    Your loss does hurt , but those mid-late 1980's cards are worth a fraction of what they were in say 1986.

I started collecting about the same time , I would look at the price guides at cards 20 years ago '1965-68' & think in 20 years Ill be Banking . Now some 30+ years later I still have the cards , also got 1993 Basketball cards (For Shaq's Rookie & others ) like the Baseball Cards the printed Millions of them .

In 1984-1987 I should have been buying Basketball Cards. """""Jordan !!!!
    gold boy and mdj like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Digger View Post
    I was young kid and still learning about coins and collecting when this happened. My grandfather had given me a number of coins, one of which turned out to be a 1955 double die Lincoln Cent. I don't even think he knew what he had...it was stuck into one of those blue Whitman collection books and I noticed it was a double die. Well some "friend" (who knew better than me) offered me some other random coins for it in trade and I went for it. I can still picture that coin in my mind to this day and I have no doubt that it is currently worth thousands. Ugh.
    My own grandfather did that to me with a 14D! Old Codger
    gold boy, mdj and Plumbata like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    You bought 5,000 shares at $17.50? The current value of 5,000 shares of FB is $875,000. You're rich, dude! Sell some of those shares before Zuckerberg kills all the value in it. He's been selling around 200,000 shares every week trying to lock in his profits. He obviously knows something's rotten at Facebook or he wouldn't be dumping millions of shares over the past few months.
    I retired out of the .com era. This put me in a unique position as I got to purchase a lot of FF&E pre IPO or at discounted rates. Apple Google and the like. I bought eBay pre IPO as well. It certainly hasn't hurt me. I will look into Zucks dump age. Thanks for the tip

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5234 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    Same here! Mine was burgundy. I gave it to my Cousin Earl when I went in the army, and never saw it again. That baby was actually very fast, buried the hand in 3rd and wound out from there. I'd have killed myself in it anyway.....
    I sure miss my' 1964 titled Mercury Comet Caliente as she was dark metallic green with chrome half-moon headlight covers. Mine would smoke all of my buddies' cars and I held the local (between friends) record of laying 150 feet of rubber (black marks) in first gear. Had a lot of close calls in her because many of the roads back then in Sevier County Tennessee were gravel or blacktop that saw poor maintenance. I couldn't afford new tires, so we (myself and my friends) ran around in the car with Maypops most of the time. In fact, while heading to Gatlinburg one Sunday, we blew a tire and when I pulled the car off the road into a newly graveled parking lot on the Glades road, the old gal blew two more tires. That was a hoot, LOL!! Called my Brother-In-Law and it took most of the day for us to find a place selling used tires, then we had to find a place that would mount them.
    Last edited by huntsman53; Aug 30, 2018 at 12:32 AM.
    Davers, gold boy, Plumbata and 2 others like this.

us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    Love to treasure hunt
    1498 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I made the mistake of showing a friend my coin colllection in college.....

When I moved out of that house, my box was there, and the only thing in it was a buffalo nickel!!

I want my grandpas roll of dollars back!

Charter Member
    us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1383 times
    My father was a hobby-gemcutter and jeweler back in the 80s, and in the 3rd grade (1995) I took in for show-and-tell a box of beautiful raw gems and some faceted stones he had made. I forgot it in my desk and the next day it was gone. I was gutted and shed more than a few tears, but my father is a great man and was very understanding.

Incidentally, the punk kid I believe stole it later in the year stole a book report I turned in, replaced my name with his and put my name on his own far inferior report. When I got "my" report handed back with a big red F I had no idea what had happened, until recess when the punk came up with 2 goons on either side and dangled my passing paper in my face gloating about it. Well in one smooth maneuver I punched him square in the nose with my right fist and snatched my paper back with my left hand, and he ran away crying with a bloody nose and his 2 very surprised goons in tow as I went inside early, performed a handwriting analysis/comparison for my teacher and got the situation corrected, including plenty of detention for that kid and no punishment at all for me punching him in the face (almost always both parties would be punished for fighting). Felt pretty good but it didn't return those stones.

I've sold a few things I would have rather kept in hindsight, the main one being a lovely early Iron-Age Celtic sword (perhaps 500-800BC) in the precise style of Bronze-age swords (still doubled my money on it) but as a rather protective hoarder of good antiques and artifacts I've managed to hold-on to almost all the best stuff, and what was sold I used to start (or help expand) a business so I'm at peace.

My uncle, back in the mid 1960s had a few cents and went to buy a penny gumball. He very clearly recalled that his cent was a very funny looking 1955... Later on he began collecting coins and joked that it was the most expensive piece of candy he ever bought, hah.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5154 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I will look into Zucks dump age. Thanks for the tip
    He just sold a whopping 602,000 shares the other day. Nothing worse than a CEO dumping his stock while it's in a downturn. He's probably selling some for tax purposes, but it still looks really bad to me.

https://www.mareainformativa.com/201...-fb-stock.html
    coinman123 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1383 times
    Facebook, like twitter, is slowly dying. The algorithmic meddling, censorship and banning of all the most entertaining users and pages because godforsaken humorless snowflakes keep melting-down when they see people with differing opinions has completely ruined it. Millions of people hate Zuckerbook and have moved on to much more vibrant and free platforms so it's just a matter of time before it goes the way of MySpace, and good riddance when it does.
    chub, TxDigger2, diggummup and 3 others like this.

Sep 2017
    Indiana
    4 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    I was happy mine didn't go through the day of the IPO. But the corrupt bankers (with help from the corrupt stock brokers) dumped the stock on poor saps like me four days later. The banks got their $42 a share and then it tanked. That debacle is the main reason I haven't bought any stocks in six years.

The stock market is corrupt to the core. Insider trading, insider information, short selling and so on makes it tough for the average person to have a chance in the stock market.
    Agree. But you can, if you act like those small little fish that follow the sharks and eat what's left over. Then sell when all the sharks are telling you how great it is.
    joetoilet likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5154 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Then sell when all the sharks are telling you how great it is
    This is the best advice for the stock market. When the analysts are telling you to buy, sell. When they're telling you to sell, buy. It's all a con game. They want you to sell good stocks because their cronies want to buy on the dip. They want you to buy bad stocks because their cronies want to dump a declining stock on you.

I recently told an elderly friend to buy Apple stock before their last earnings report. Why? Because all the analysts were saying it's a slow time of the year and don't expect much from Apple. That's all I needed to hear. She did buy 10 shares and is now up $370.00 on a $1,900.00 investment, but she should have bought ten times those shares. She would have been up $3,700.00 right now.

Bottom line, ALL the analysts are corrupt and working for someone on the side. Trust no one involved in the stock market and you'll do okay.
    joetoilet likes this.

Sep 2017
    Indiana
    4 times
    Metal Detecting
    Another hard lesson for me to learn in the stock market was "Know what you own (the company) and why you own it". Then don't look at the stock price until the "why" comes to fruition.

Wall Street only makes money if stocks are going up or down. No one makes money in a flat market.
    trdking and chub like this.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4625 times
    Zuck is not going to crash his company with that amount of shares. He is profit taking and diversifying. I have my eye on it but I am not distressed about the sales. I is smart on his part to have other interests. If FB starts to tank there is time to get out with profits. I bought it right and I will exit it when the time comes!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links