HORROR STORIES

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What have you had that was SOLD, THROWN AWAY, STOLEN,...etc.,that would be worth big money today?
My mother in law used to throw away my father in laws comic books ,that he had collected since he was a kid, when she would clean house back in the 50's. ( a couple at a time ) I don't know specifics of what he had, but he graduated high school in '47, during the golden age of comics!
:sadsanta::sadsanta:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My wife had an arrowhead collection stolen from her grammar school days. It was show and tell day and she forgot then when she left school. It was a huge collection and to this day doesn't like to talk about it.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a CSA belt buckle in Georgia when I was a kid. It was in great shape.
Traded it a year later for a big shark tooth. :unhappysmiley:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought and sold an OEM Pontiac tri-power intake with the original 2 bbl carbs...for $60 when I was in high school...O how I'd like to have THAT back! Ddf.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought 50 shares of Facebook stock at $42.00 a share when they had their IPO in 2012. Scottrade waited 4 days before they placed it in my account. By then it was already down to $35.00 a share. Sold it a few months later for $20 a share, taking a $1,100 loss on it. Those 50 shares are currently worth $8,875.00, by the way...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was young I was a HUGE baseball fan and card collector. I had 4 mickey mantle baseball rookie cards,. I did not have a Roger Marris so i traded a buddy one of my mickey mantle cards for a Roger Marris one. That left me three Mickey cards. When i got married i left my HUGE collection with my mother . She did not know how she got rid of them but afterwards we realized they was worth big money !@!! I still think about them :(

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a beautiful white quartz Paleo point that I'd found in our garden while forced to pull weeds, in the 1950s. It was stolen after a school presentation from a "secure" closet by a good friend of mine. I know exactly where it is today and could probably trick him into showing to me. Instead I just use that experience as a reminder, trust no-one!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toss up: 3,500 comic books from the 50's and 60's that Mom took to the thrift store and got $.25/bundle for...or my 1958 Corvette that I bought for $1600 and sold for a whopping $2200? 😭
Nevermind...just kick me. Hard.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rare Tiffany & Co. Mother of pearl cylinder lighter from the 1920's that I found behind the mantle of an old Victorian house in Ky. some 30+ years ago. Sold it to the local antique shop for $10 because I needed money to eat.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My house got robbed when I was in high school.... lost my great grandfathers coin collection, my Mom lost her grandmothers heirloom jewelry.....
If I ever find the punk who did us like that, I’m going to kill him.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a 1967 Dodge Coronet RT. The original hemi was blown and replaced with a 383 intercepter setup. I tore up the transmission and sold the car for 300 dollars.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a Mercury Comet Caliente Coupe that was titled as a 1964 and came from the factory with a 289 Cu. Inch Engine, 4 Speed in the Floor, Carpet, Leather Seats and an Alternator. I found out before entering the U.S. Army that the car had an Aluminum Body but did not find out what that meant until many years later. Shortly after entering the U.S. Army, I gave the car to my Brother-In-Law because I owed him so much money and he sold the car. It was actually an Experimental or Test Car and Lincoln-Mercury was apparently testing the use of Alternators on other Models (Lincoln Continentals were the only Lincoln-Mercury cars that came with an Alternator in 1964 and before) and is worth a mint today.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Mercury Comet Coupe that was titled as a 1964 and came from the factory with a 283 Cu. Inch Engine, 4 Speed in the Floor, Carpet, Leather Seats and an Alternator. I found out before entering the U.S. Army that the car had an Aluminum Body but did not find out what that meant until many years later. Shortly after entering the U.S. Army, I gave the car to my Brother-In-Law because I owed him so much money and he sold the car. It was actually an Experimental or Test Car and Lincoln-Mercury was apparently testing the use of Alternators on other Models (Lincoln Continentals were the only Lincoln-Mercury cars that came with an Alternator in 1964 and before) and is worth a mint today.

are you sure the motor was not a 289 ? a 283 was a chevrolet .

Mikebk03

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started collecting baseball cards in 1987, had alot of complete sets and also some starting lineup figures all in the original packages! Moved out of a duplex in 2001 that my sister and I had been sharing! Accidently left the entire collection that I had stored in a trunk in the bedroom closet of the duplex while moving! By the time I realized it, someone had already got it!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I threw away a gold watch. I had had it for years and was concerned about someone breaking in and it being stolen while I was on vacation so I rolled it into a thick pair of socks. Some months later I was going through the sock drawer and tossed some socks that I never wore. Yup, that included the one with the gold watch in it. Of course I didn’t remember until after trash pickup. Still makes me sick to think about.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold it to the local antique shop for $10 because I needed money to eat.

Ya eat money?

Seriously, that must have been a bad day.

I lost a Beretta 390 Silver Mallard in a card game once. Three card, threes and nines wild. I was the only one in against the deck with three queens and the dealer flipped thee kings. The pot was only like $300 but I did not have it and I got greedy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread