Grrr! Someone's trying to steal my treasure!!!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh yea, they are phishing for something. I love the fact they wanted to see the ring. Best thing to do is send some random pic of a ring and see if they bite.

Then of course make up some place for them to meet you and sit back and wait for the reply of why you didn't show up.

and make sure the place to meet is 60 miles at a McDonalds in a small city away from your city and of course don't show up. Then when they *****, say you returned it to someone else.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excuse me for interrupting your conversation, but where do I go to find a good used detector? This is my first time doing this
Hi. Try the marketplace forum here on TNet. Always some great bargains there. 😁

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belong to the Lost My Stuff Group. We will volunteer to search for lost metal objects for people. Anything from property stakes to jewelry. Most people who use this free service will give you a detailed description of the lost object before you start your search. When I find a silver ring during a regular hunt,, I don't advertise it.
Lost My Stuff Group - Home

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me: Sure! I'll meet you at the front desk of the ***** police dept. so I can have my Lt. witness me returning it. Oh, I'm 6'7 320# black hair. See you there!

Some of them don't care...They would argue it in front of police. :laughing7:

We sold Estate jewelry and the same scammers come out, while looking in your cases they say..." That looks like the ring that was stolen from me." ...They are hoping you didn't do the correct paperwork when you bought. And a lot of guys don't for many reasons, doesn't have to be bad intentions. BUT, some that did, may turn over the ring to the con because it's cheaper and easier than trying to deal with police. I've run into it a couple times years back, luckily I did all paperwork correctly and could tell them to stick it. They get loud, start accusing, say they are calling cops, and you just stay calm and tell them.."do what you have to do!" or "please do! If it's really yours they will make sure you get it back, today!!!"They never do though, they give up and move on. Tons of scammers out there of all types!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta to watch out with too much information- ive been at this for some time know a lot of hunters - 100s
heard a lot of stories
#1 one guy was water hunting - teenagers on shore are making fun of him for awhile
finally one of the girls goes out and asks if him found anything - he says ...yes and shows her a small gold ring with a pink
stone. Little while later - life guards goes out and asks if he found girls ring - its gold with a pink stone
guy says - she never said she lost a ring - little while later police show up and demand he give her the ring - he does
the groups starts to leave and as they walk away they all turn and wave and laugh at him
#2 - guy posts tons of gold and relics yrs ago on another forum - he says town where he lives
guy comes on and says - I'm like next town over - we should hook up - okay - where do you live
and he tells the guy - week goes by and guy tells him to meet him like 5 miles away - he does and guy
tells him he'll be a little late but he's on his way. Guy waits like an hour - tries calling guy back - no good
and finally goes back home - front door is open and everything that was readily available was taken
lots of valuable relics and a few ring cases
#3 guy told everyone he was going to Carribean for a couple weeks - he posted on facebook and on forums
that he was going and exact dates - on face book he mentioned where he lived and someone said
hey! I'm from same area where do you live and guy told him you know the big gas station on corner of
blah and blah - next street down - white house about half way down - stop by sometime if youre
in the neighborhood I'll be back in a few weeks - the guy did after first week he was gone - friend of his
calls him and says "hey - you got back early from vacation?" he says " no...what are you talking about?"
I just drove by and your front door was wide open" "Oh crap! - do me a favor and go check my house out"
friend does and says - like the other guy - everything he had in display cases was gone - Revwar and CW
stuff all gone.
got many more I could tell - so just watch out just how much you say
Ive got a few of my own - but if guy(s) still lurk and I tell those stories - they might try and find me again
As far as sites go - Yrs ago my GF used to take all kinds of pics of me detecting and when internet started
I thought nothing of showing those pics along with great finds I made - suddenly - places I had all to myself
all the time were covered with other hunters - finally a few guys told me that they could tell where I was
going by the buildings or other land marks in my back grounds - I crop now :tongue3:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! "Pirate" would be so surprised and mad if he/she knew there was a whole thread making fun of him/her! Lol

There is a good chance "Pirate" is aware of and reading this thread! There are so many lurkers on all the detecting forums ready to run a scam on you!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta to watch out with too much information- ive been at this for some time know a lot of hunters - 100s
heard a lot of stories
#1 one guy was water hunting - teenagers on shore are making fun of him for awhile
finally one of the girls goes out and asks if him found anything - he says ...yes and shows her a small gold ring with a pink
stone. Little while later - life guards goes out and asks if he found girls ring - its gold with a pink stone
guy says - she never said she lost a ring - little while later police show up and demand he give her the ring - he does
the groups starts to leave and as they walk away they all turn and wave and laugh at him
#2 - guy posts tons of gold and relics yrs ago on another forum - he says town where he lives
guy comes on and says - I'm like next town over - we should hook up - okay - where do you live
and he tells the guy - week goes by and guy tells him to meet him like 5 miles away - he does and guy
tells him he'll be a little late but he's on his way. Guy waits like an hour - tries calling guy back - no good
and finally goes back home - front door is open and everything that was readily available was taken
#3 guy told everyone he was going to Carribean for a couple weeks - he posted on facebook and on forums
that he was going and exact dates - on face book he mentioned where he lived and someone said
hey! I'm from same area where do you live and guy told him you know the big gas station on corner of
blah and blah - next street down - white house about half way down - stop by sometime if youre
in the neighborhood I'll be back in a few weeks - the guy did after first week he was gone - friend of his
calls him and says "hey - you got back early from vacation?" he says " no...what are you talking about?"
I just drove by and your front door was wide open" "Oh crap! - do me a favor and go check my house out"
friend does and says - like the other guy - everything he had in display cases was gone - Revwar and CW
stuff all gone.
Ive got a few of my own - but if guy(s) still lurk and I tell those stories - they might try and find me again
As far as sites go - Yrs ago my GF used to take all kinds of pics of me detecting and when internet started
I thought nothing of showing those pics along with great finds I made - suddenly - places I had all to myself
all the time were covered with other hunters - finally a few guys told me that they could tell where I was
going by the buildings or other land marks in my back grounds - I crop now :tongue3:

They will also follow you. Poke hole in radiator and when your broke down walking for help, they empty collections out of cars. This was more popular before cell phones. I was around some ..."creative thinkers"(?) when I just got out of High school. I got a good education on about everything that you mention or a some version of it. Some people out there are determined!!!! And will get what they want. Sad but true. And is very real!!! Some go as deep as the son of a company that installed alarms. His dad had no idea that the son was getting into the houses that they installed the alarms in. The cops finally put two and two together and loose lips in a bar stopped him after YEARS!!! I can go on and on like you...I've seen or heard about all types. I'm like a scared rabbit sometimes when setting up coins or watches at a flea market or show...Not so much anymore, because I don't have what I use to. We had a guy waiting in our drive one night when we got home. Luckily, I don't think he had the guts, or felt uneasy, and just asked for a smoke and left. But I really think we either caught him before he got into the house, or he had other plans that he didn't follow through with.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heard a lot of stories
stuff all gone.

Oh #1 gets my blood boiling! I'm glad it wasn't me!!! As for telling a stranger that you are away and your house and street... that just seems like something everyone should know not to do. Still... people can seem very innocent and can trick people easily. Sad.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most parks will allow metal detecting even give permits We pay for these with our tax dollars.In a world where people have integrity posting that you found a ring would be a great jesture
If you cant fi d the owner parks and rec have lost and founds people can go to when they lose something .but they may keep it. keep it and enjoy you earned it . Too many pirates out tbere I dont know why but there rrrrrrrhhhh. I commend you for trying

Last edited:

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost a gold ring once, a long time ago. From now on everyone send me every gold ring you find. I'll send back the ones that don't belong to me.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost a gold ring once, a long time ago. From now on everyone send me every gold ring you find. I'll send back the ones that don't belong to me.

Pssssst! I'll give a good price for the ones that "are yours"...cash.........Just trying to help you out!!:occasion14: jkg

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also had the situation though where a individual who notified the park he had lost his wedding ring left a description that didn’t match his actual ring. He said he lost a silver split shank ring with three diamonds. I found a white gold ring with seven diamonds. But I called him anyway and asked him to describe for me what he had lost. What he said this time was a little closer and location lost was spot on. So I did what is really such a bad idea, I emailed him a pic of the ring I found and he emailed back, “that’s it!”. We agreed to meet at a local store parking lot and this guy gets out of a car full of kids carrying a 9 x 12 framed picture. Just about made me cry as I gave him his ring - the picture was of him holding his newborn and on his finger is the ring I found. He just wanted to prove it to me. Probably one of my best returns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions