Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a woman I will chime in also. We as women are more alert most times for those that are giving strange looks because we have to! It's our first line of defense, if someone is giving you the eye you don't know what is behind that and it's better to just remove yourself from the situation as you don't know their intentions or what a group may do. I have no problem with any of these "guys" hobbies. I bought a '70 challenger at 16 and rebuilt the motor myself with just the help of a repair manual. I taught myself to ride a motorcyle by going to a small open field and then doing circles until I got the guts to get on the street. I also like to make quilts. I taught my husband to make quilts also and he loves it as he is a welder and loves the math of the difference seams and curves and the creativity. My husband and I started on detecting together but he just didn't take to so I've been doing it myself for 10yrs. If you give a kid different opportunities when they are young they will grow up experiencing more. I take my grandkids - boys and girls - detecting sometimes and do all sorts of crafts in the summer. The girls and boys both like to help cooking and changing the oil and different things on the vehicles with me and papa. I know most of the responses were made in fun but those things are heard and continues the idea that men and women shouldn't have the same hobbies and it doesn't represent this hobby well.

You have a great attitude. I don't know where you live but if I were a woman, knowing some men as I do, I would never detect alone unless I was carryung a gun.
It is a fact there are a lot of dangerous people out there and it is also a fact there are good reasons women do not play in the NFL.
I think your attitude is really wonderful. Your family is lucky to have you.
I was fortunate to have a Huckleberry Finn childhood.
My parents did not hover over me. But it was a different time.
By the way I have quite a few Asian ball-jointed resin dolls. With few exceptions women were very uncomfortable with males who were drawn to these works of art.
Yeah, this kind of topic is going to bring out some guys who got to tease and all. I did because I can't resist having fun with witty people. I hope,maybe forlornly, any women who read these guys understand they are good people as far as I can tell. I also know a man's sense of humor is often something that can get him un trouble with women in a heartbeat.
Kids love most anything new anyway. Quite a few of these guys are taking their daughters and grandkids out to detect from what I've seen.
Edit: more women ought to come in here and share their opinions and insights on this subject. In my opinion :)

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a woman I will chime in also. We as women are more alert most times for those that are giving strange looks because we have to! It's our first line of defense, if someone is giving you the eye you don't know what is behind that and it's better to just remove yourself from the situation as you don't know their intentions or what a group may do. I have no problem with any of these "guys" hobbies. I bought a '70 challenger at 16 and rebuilt the motor myself with just the help of a repair manual. I taught myself to ride a motorcyle by going to a small open field and then doing circles until I got the guts to get on the street. I also like to make quilts. I taught my husband to make quilts also and he loves it as he is a welder and loves the math of the difference seams and curves and the creativity. My husband and I started on detecting together but he just didn't take to so I've been doing it myself for 10yrs. If you give a kid different opportunities when they are young they will grow up experiencing more. I take my grandkids - boys and girls - detecting sometimes and do all sorts of crafts in the summer. The girls and boys both like to help cooking and changing the oil and different things on the vehicles with me and papa. I know most of the responses were made in fun but those things are heard and continues the idea that men and women shouldn't have the same hobbies and it doesn't represent this hobby well.

You don’t have to say,” As a women I’ll chime in” just chime in, it’s a forum that’s what we do. Lol

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the coin collecting angle is why there are so few women who detect. How many women do you know who collect coins or show any interest in them? I think most guys metal detect because they have an interest in coins.

The U.S. Mint states that their customer base is 87% male and 13% female. Metal detecting is probably close to the same percentage when it comes to men and women. Not a coincidence, in my opinion.

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2016/november/us-mint-demographic-report-coin-collecting-hobby-stamp-collecting-hobby.html

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man should naturally be attracted to (stare at) a woman. He shouldn't gawk though. There is absolutely nothing wrong with women metal detecting. It's too bad society has become a cesspool of deviants, dope addicts, perverts and criminals. I mean what happened to this country in the last 25 years or so? Oh yeah, the internet.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen what red can do with her Digger, when someone walks up on her when detecting. the point pointed an inch from your throat is no joke We keep a close watch on each other out there But once in a while a deviant comes out of the Trees!!! just because the headphone are on doesn't mean we cant hear what is going on around us

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff,the women want to take care of you all right,but buddy,do you really think that it's in a good way?:laughing7:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay...I'll jump in too.

I was raised by parents who didn't think my life should be governed by gender. As far as my Mother, I learned how to do everything a girl typically would.

As far as my Father... His mantra was that "His Daughter Would Never Be Dependent On A Man" so....at a very young age he had me in his shop cleaning parts for the cars he restored and helping him rebuild them... at 14yrs old I got My first restoration project to be completed before I turned 16...a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix.

My father was a hunter and fisherman...Most vacations were centered around that as well as going pond fishing during the week and to the lake fishing on weekends or the farm hunting on weekends depending on the season. My Mother didn't carry a gun in the field but she loved going and watching the dogs work if it was just Dad and I going and not his friends along.

Before I was big enough or old enough to carry a gun in the field..If I went with him, which I usually did, even though I hadn't shot any Quail, Pheasants, Turkey or Deer...I had to clean and dress half of them as if they were my kills too. When I did start carrying a gun, anything I killed, I cleaned and dressed it alone...I still do. That's part of the hunt. On the deer, since he only shot one back then, I'd do half the work. When I shoot my own, I do the field dressing.. I Choose to take them in for processing at a friends plant because I like the way they do the marbling. I Can do the butchering of deer, elk, moose, cows and hogs if I choose to. It's part of it. I would never Expect a Male to do it if I wanted it done, although I think it's great for couples to do things together...equally.

Personally I think it's disrespectful to take the life of any animal or fish and not be willing to clean it or eat it.

As far as fishing, if I wanted to fish, which I love to do too, if I was using bait instead of lures, I baited my own hook, I cleaned my own catch. That's part of it. As a courtesy to my Mother, if she was there, either my Father or I baited her hook and cleaned her catch, she could, can and would bait her own hook though. She cooked all the game caught or killed and wanted it that way. She Still Cooks Every Wild Turkey I Bring Back for the holidays....She loves doing that.

I don't think most women that go out on these trips expect men to do things like this for them... I think men set the tone for it because most nice men have a protective or paternal nature. That's the difference. Women, a lot of times think it makes the men feel more manly and try to respect their chivalrous nature. I hear it all the time with guys I hunt and fish with...'I'll do it, don't worry about it' even though they know I can and want to see it through to the end. It puts Women who want to do it in an awkward spot...We don't want to insult or hurt a mans feelings or ego by insisting to let us, but also don't want them to feel like they have double the work by us being there...if that makes sense.

I'll ask you guys, Do You Want to do these things for women or Don't Really Want To, But think that You Should as a man?

My father got me interested in metal detecting...He had some experience with it in the military and had even gone out to Utah, mining for Uranium. My parents bought me my first Radio Shack detector. My Mother would go with me during the summer days when I was young, she gets a kick out of it too. I love detecting...digging is part of it.

My experiences Detecting alone though is that it does attract men... most are Very Nice... a few, not so much. I always carry a .380 when I go out anywhere. Some weird ones will approach sometimes... I've had men in boats come up to the bank where I'm Detecting at the lake, it does make a lone woman feel uneasy when they all get out. So,more often than not, if I'm going by myself, I take Rocco, pictured in my avatar. He's learned how to find paper money and is a great protector and deterrent as were my Rotties and Labs before him. A Bite or a Bullet. Problem Solved.

I do take the youngsters in my life hunting, fishing and detecting... the 10-12 year old girls read this forum too, just like the boys do, unless there's kind of an age inappropriate topic or comments that are derogatory to women going on and then I wait for it to leave active topics before I let them read the forum.

I Feel Very Blessed The Way I Was Raised.

Terry, You Always Post Great Topics!

Kace

Take Your Kids Hunting Instead Of Hunting Your Kids!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a woman expresses an interest in learning how to metal detect, then I will try to help. The same with a guy who asks for a few pointers.
When I first moved from NYC to Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania last year,, my neighbor's wife showed a real interest, so I let her use my machine, and explained how it worked. She did really good on her first voyage. Four wheat pennies and a Silver Rosie.
Her husband asked me to order her an XP DEUS and accessories.
You either like it or you don't. I don't think being a woman has anything to do with how successful a treasure hunter you can become.

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of great stuff in your post, Kace. The thing is sometimes it is a matter of generation and culture.
Some -lots maybe- were raised to treat wonen with great respect. This is not to say treat them as if they were weak, stupid or inferior. Women were mothers, wives, and sisters who had a certain role in the past. Just as men did. Men had more upper body strength and did the things which required brawn.
My sisters could bait hooks, my mom could clean rabbits and squirrels, but they did not hunt.
If a woman asked, or even a man, I would clean a fish bait a hook or whatever. I would not insist on doing such things for a woman. If she asked I would.
It is true some men would feel like they should do it and that is often from their upbringing. Hard for people to shake how they were raised. Do you know wonen who feel they have somehow failed because they never bore children?
I have a millenial(sp?) neice and her dad made sure she could maintain a car and repair one if need be.
I have noticed something. These younger men too often treat women like dirt. And I've seen a girl's face when she is treated so. It isn't an insult to women,or men,to hold a door for them or offer assistance if needed.
Oh well. Awesome post, Kace. Lots to ponder.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Lot of great stuff in your post, Kace. The thing is sometimes it is a matter of generation and culture.
Some -lots maybe- were raised to treat wonen with great respect. This is not to say treat them as if they were weak, stupid or inferior. Women were mothers, wives, and sisters who had a certain role in the past. Just as men did. Men had more upper body strength and did the things which required brawn.
My sisters could bait hooks, my mom could clean rabbits and squirrels, but they did not hunt.
If a woman asked, or even a man, I would clean a fish bait a hook or whatever. I would not insist on doing such things for a woman. If she asked I would.
It is true some men would feel like they should do it and that is often from their upbringing. Hard for people to shake how they were raised. Do you know wonen who feel they have somehow failed because they never bore children?
I have a millenial(sp?) neice and her dad made sure she could maintain a car and repair one if need be.
I have noticed something. These younger men too often treat women like dirt. And I've seen a girl's face when she is treated so. It isn't an insult to women,or men,to hold a door for them or offer assistance if needed.
Oh well. Awesome post, Kace. Lots to ponder.

HBP...You hit the nail on the head by saying a lot is generational or how people were raised.

I do know a few women that feel 'less than' because they didn't give birth. Sad. Two I know couldn't have children due to their husbands having Mumps as children rendering them sterile. It was Never talked about and they just let folks assume it was them that couldn't bear children. Generational I Suppose. They protected their husbands though.

A kind of funny story about generations... I was going Quail Hunting with my Dad, one of his best friends and his son who I had known my whole life, the son and I had even dated some later... anyway as I was walking out the door that morning my Mom says to me..'It wouldn't hurt you to miss a couple times'. I about fell over laughing and said what do you mean? She sheepishly says 'Well it might make Kyle feel bad if you do better than he does'.

It's funny because even though they raised me to be the way they did...In her generation she would of never thought about doing better at something like that than my Dad or any man that was family or a friend. I said do you think Dan told Kyle to 'Miss a Couple'? She just laughed and said 'probably not'. It made me think though that Kyle had much more pressure on him in front of his Dad than I did mine.

I'm glad that you would help a man or woman if they needed it and not make them feel bad for it.

Kace

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right Kace - many times it's just easier to let the man do what is considered "the manly thing" to not hurt their egos. I also remember a couple of times where my mom made the same statements about letting the guy win the game/match/whatever so he would feel better. These days I'm not concerned about some guys ego. If he can't handle a woman besting them that's their problem and says more about them. I'm tired of tip toeing around the pissy guys. When they feel "outmanned" by a woman they start yacking about that woman being a "di*e", a "bi*ch" or some liberal that's trying to take their manhood away from them - as if that's something any woman really wants. I've had a couple of young men come up to me while I was out detecting and they started off just asking questions and then start asking personal questions and then asking me out for a date. I know in the area there are some gangs that have the young guys ask out older women on dates as part or an initiation process so in both cases I took out my digger and pointed it right at them and told them to leave. I'm somewhat intimidating I've been told when I'm angry so they took off. I keep myself aware of the area and have my digger and mace in reach and in hand if someone is closer than 10yds away. There is nothing wrong with a guy trying to be nice and helpful or a guy that is just used to helping out the women folk and have no bad intentions and I certainly wouldn't put someone down for it but those that use it as an excuse to say that women are weaklings I just won't stand for.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once dated a girl who would metal detect and hunt artifacts with me. She made every hunt more enjoyable and there were few times when I felt the need to step in if other men got to curious. But I will say this. She was a very good treasure hunter and a girly girl and her finds were many. My suggestion is to anyone wanting into the hobby and is new is learn to pay attention to your surroundings and deal with what may come. On the other hand no one should feel embarrassed or afraid when hunting alone.Just be aware.No reason that a woman can not be as good or better than any guy when detecting or treasure hunting.
All metal detecting shows have been very goofy and do not really show the hobby. I encourage women to give it a try though.The thrill of the hunt is fun.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I once dated a girl who would metal detect and hunt artifacts with me. She made every hunt more enjoyable and there were few times when I felt the need to step in if other men got to curious. But I will say this. She was a very good treasure hunter and a girly girl and her finds were many. My suggestion is to anyone wanting into the hobby and is new is learn to pay attention to your surroundings and deal with what may come. On the other hand no one should feel embarrassed or afraid when hunting alone.Just be aware.No reason that a woman can not be as good or better than any guy when detecting or treasure hunting.
All metal detecting shows have been very goofy and do not really show the hobby. I encourage women to give it a try though.The thrill of the hunt is fun.

AMEN! Years ago I never felt afraid or nervous but there's some shady characters out there now.

Down at the COR lakes there's people making Meth in the woods... ya never know where they are unless you happen to smell it cooking. Some go in by boat and one or three will stay in the meth camp while the boat leaves, so it's really hard to tell if anything is going on in those areas. Those people are whacked and I avoid that at all cost.

Rocco will usually start growling and staring into the woods if there's another human around so he's definitely my first defense if I'm alone. We jump back in the boat and leave.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right Kace - many times it's just easier to let the man do what is considered "the manly thing" to not hurt their egos. I also remember a couple of times where my mom made the same statements about letting the guy win the game/match/whatever so he would feel better. These days I'm not concerned about some guys ego. If he can't handle a woman besting them that's their problem and says more about them. I'm tired of tip toeing around the pissy guys. When they feel "outmanned" by a woman they start yacking about that woman being a "di*e", a "bi*ch" or some liberal that's trying to take their manhood away from them - as if that's something any woman really wants. I've had a couple of young men come up to me while I was out detecting and they started off just asking questions and then start asking personal questions and then asking me out for a date. I know in the area there are some gangs that have the young guys ask out older women on dates as part or an initiation process so in both cases I took out my digger and pointed it right at them and told them to leave. I'm somewhat intimidating I've been told when I'm angry so they took off. I keep myself aware of the area and have my digger and mace in reach and in hand if someone is closer than 10yds away. There is nothing wrong with a guy trying to be nice and helpful or a guy that is just used to helping out the women folk and have no bad intentions and I certainly wouldn't put someone down for it but those that use it as an excuse to say that women are weaklings I just won't stand for.

Dokc...I hear exactly what you're saying...Do you ever think about how many times you've heard fathers say to their boys...'You gonna let a GIRL beat you? I Still hear that.

I think comments like that stick with some guys and they grow up living and repeating that BS.

It's very true that men sometimes use their brawn or strength to manhandle things....women at times have to work smarter and not harder and utilize tools to level the job. It might take a little longer, but it gets done.

If I kill a deer... I field dress it and If I can't lift it onto a rack I use either the 12v winch or block and tackle. I for darn sure don't wait or call for one of the guys to do it. I'd be embarrassed to do that. lol!

Like you..I appreciate guys offering help, Ill help them help me and if they are alone I'll jump in and help them too.

We all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Kace

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I did not read the whole thread. Why not bring one along if they show interest in it? Especially if its a kid. There are certainly far worse things they could do as a hobby. If they lose interest or just are not as into it as you are there are other options. Go to a river or some place where they can take pictures or look for rocks. Maybe watch deer or squirrels. The whole trip does not have to be metal detecting. The most important thing is to just get outside and enjoy the day instead of sitting with your nose glued to a screen somewhere.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll ask you guys, Do You Want to do these things for women or Don't Really Want To, But think that You Should as a man?

To some degree I believe it is a generational thing, but it's really more about being taught to respect women than it is being born at a specific time. My own standpoint is that I'm being respectful by offering to do the grunt work. Deep down there is a certain drive to protect women - in my case anyway - but offering to do the physical work is far more about respect than it is protection.

I hold doors for women. Young, old, somewhere in between - it makes no difference - if I see a woman coming I hold the door for her. It isn't that she can't open the door. A couple of times I've been scolded 'because she is perfectly capable of opening the door herself' but that doesn't stop me from being polite. My father insisted that I did so as a young boy, and I still do it to this day.

There are times when I feel somewhat compelled to help (really tired, pressed for time, etc..) but most of the time I offer to help because I want to. I'm not offended when the woman politely declines the offer of help. I typically decline offers (to help) myself, because I know I can do the task without help. I also know the offer itself helped me in ways that the person making the offer probably doesn't realize.

That's my take on it.

BTW - regarding the OP: I see no reason why women shouldn't be encouraged to metal detect (or any other hobby that they're interested in). My sole objection would be those examples where they find the silver I'm looking for - but that's also my objection to men getting into metal detecting.

I bought my wife a metal detector and I'll buy my granddaughter a metal detector too (once I have a granddaughter, that is). I like to spread the disease.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember starting a thread on this topic years ago , the responses were fairly similar ( if memory serves) a fair number of sexist , cheap jokes at the expense of women , and some revealing comments from women who enjoy detecting , and others who would rather spend their leisure time pursuing other interests.

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I go detecting with my dad, I love researching the history of local towns and identifying stuff that we dig up. I think it just depends on how you were raised and what your interested in no matter the gender (it's also a bit uncommon to see younger dudes I think). I was always interested in video games, catching snakes and lizards and fishing while growing up. It's not really a hobby i'd share with my friends because it's kinda weird, other girls my age are out partying, but I am really glad that I got into it because i've gotten to spend time with my dad a lot more, and I know i'll be grateful for that someday. I think older women are also too busy with children or jobs or maybe they've never been exposed to it before so they dont know what they're missing! Personally I dont think i'll keep doing it as this rate forever, because theres a life I have to get to and i've got to think of my future, but hopefully i'll find those spanish doubloon's and not have to worry about that anymore :occasion14:

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just could not chime in. I love to metal detect. As a child we hunted Indian relics. I still do. I just don't see what gender has to do with it. I am afraid to go hunting alone in some places. Not just because I am a woman, but I am old with grey hair and barely 5 feet tall. The world is not the place I grew up in. There are people out there who would kill you for your sneakers. A metal detector would be a nice prize for them. I do wish I had someone to hunt with, be it man or woman. I enjoy sharing finds, and am as happy when someone else finds something good as I am when I do.
Wish there were more women here that had an interest in hunting.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Jersey...You're right, there's some crazies out there for sure.

I haven't done it, but a friend that moved out of town put an ad in her local CL and her High School and College FB hoping someone local to her would respond for people to do stuff with after she moved and had a lot of women and men respond. She made friends in her new area that way.

Do you carry? It is a safer to have someone with you or a big protective dog.

Just a suggestion,

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread