Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jersey...You're right, there's some crazies out there for sure.

I haven't done it, but a friend that moved out of town put an ad in her local CL and her High School and College FB hoping someone local to her would respond for people to do stuff with after she moved and had a lot of women and men respond. She made friends in her new area that way.

Do you carry? It is a safer to have someone with you or a big protective dog.

Just a suggestion,

Kace

I live in N.J. so can't carry. And keeping a big dog on a leash is hard. Only have two hands. LOL I am 77 years old here. Thanks Kace. Wish we were closer.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in N.J. so can't carry. And keeping a big dog on a leash is hard. Only have two hands. LOL I am 77 years old here. Thanks Kace. Wish we were closer.

Rocco and my other pups always stay close without taking off is why I mentioned that... You're right...No way could you hold a leash and detect! lol!

Have you ever thought about adopting an older rescue dog that's calm and content to walk on a long leash hooked to your belt? I'd suggest a female if you ever do that.. I adopted a Rottweiler through Rottweiler Rescue to have a playmate for my Rottie...she was calm although I kept her on a leash for the first 6months til I knew her temperament.

I've always wanted to detect Jersey... Lots Of Bling Up That Way! lol! I'm going to be up that way, I'll holler at ya. What part of Jersey are you in?

You can't carry a gun in New Jersey??

Kace

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I get a few calls each week from folks that have questions about gold prospecting, and metal detecting.
I just got off the phone with “Wendy,” from Greenwich, Connecticut. I’m writing this post because her
call is so typical of the women that call for information.

Wendy bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver a few years ago, went out to the beach with her daughter but,
“..felt strange, almost like we shouldn’t be there.” She was put off by the looks they were getting and
comments people made. Later, she felt confused on where she could actually “detect legally,” and her metal
detector became a closet queen.

She saw a listing for our club and wanted to know if I could help her learn her machine and figure out where
to go hunting with her daughter. I will direct her here to TreasureNet, when she emails me later, and of
course, drive up or invite her down for lessons and a hunt.

Wendy was disappointed to learn women make up less than 12% of the metal detecting community, and I
discussed with her the possibility of beginning a “Women’s” Metal Detecting Club, there in Greenwich. As a
Community, we need more outreach to women and girls by clubs, and individuals in the hobby.

I encourage local dealers and clubs to sponsor Girl Scout, as well as Boy Scout troops, local Little League and
Youth groups, by hosting seeded & unseeded hunts and demonstrations. Let’s all try and bring a niece,
granddaughter, or a “Wendy” into our world, and show them why we love it so much. :skullflag:

I feel like this quite often as you never know how someone will take you digging in a public spot.

So now, here is where I am stepping into the fire and going to catch heat.

While I agree with you that metal detecting is not a male exclusive activity, I feel we should let girls have a chance to be girls first, then let them decide if metal detecting is for them. I feel the roles of men and women are becoming muddy and lack clear definitions.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel like this quite often as you never know how someone will take you digging in a public spot.

So now, here is where I am stepping into the fire and going to catch heat.

While I agree with you that metal detecting is not a male exclusive activity, I feel we should let girls have a chance to be girls first, then let them decide if metal detecting is for them. I feel the roles of men and women are becoming muddy and lack clear definitions.

I agree with everything you said til your last sentence. There is no clear definition anymore and there can't be.

Thankfully it didn't happen to me, but what about the women whose husbands or fathers of their male children walked out on all of them? Are the women supposed to raise their sons as girls? Our society has made the lines get murky compared to the generations before mine. I don't have any idea how old you are.

An example is one of my cousin's husband abandoned her, their daughter and son. Cousin is a girly girl, city born and bred. She Had To Be Both Mother and Father...First she signed her son up in Cub Scouts... that was great until right off the bat there was 'Father/Son' camp out. Every scout had to have a guardian. Sooo, being a good Mother, she said she'd go and went out to buy herself a tent and whatever else was needed. That caused a huge mess cause no women were allowed they said....Mainly the wives of the dads in the troop complained. Cousin is very pretty... she learned to fish to take her son, she enrolled him in sports... she really couldn't practice well with him cause she's not athletic. She tried Big Brothers and ended with up guys who were more interested in her than her son. She didn't date after husband left because she didn't want to expose her children to possible weirdos. Understandable.

Her daughter was Homecoming Queen...Cousin had to walk her out on the field with the other father and daughters in the court and have the 'father daughter dance' with her. That was awkward to watch although her daughter was as happy as could be. When the daughter got married..Her Mother walked her down the aisle...POS father didn't help pay or show up. He's got a great career, double masters..He just didn't want to.

That's not an unusual situation, there's also men who die young. Same as women who die young Or walk out on their families and leave men to raise daughters. There's No Way to keep lines from blending.

I want boys to grow up to be nice, good men, self sufficient and not feel the need to put down women or make rude comments to cover their own insecurities. But first they have to take responsibility for lives they help to create...And that takes nice, good men to mold them.

Don't think for a minute that the majority of women want to be men...Or that single father wants to learn how to teach his daughter how to do a blow out or french braid her hair or apply makeup, go dress shopping or talk to her about becoming a woman.

Would you want your daughter not knowing how to do typically male things and God forbid her husband died or walked out on her and you weren't around to stand in? I wouldn't.

I'm not trying to give you heat as you said... it's just that Women Cannot Expect Men to Always Be There for Them or Their Children....Nor Can Men Expect Women To Always Be There.

Kace

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it’s a lot more odd having a man Professional Cheerleader, but in these days and time nothing, but nothing surprises me. As far as women doing detecting who cares. I’m so tired of hearing this “women can do anything men can do” and now actual radical feminism I would love it to be 50/50 up and down the board. Men just have to learn not to care and help “just because she’s a women” thing that we have been conditioned too.

But it’s just MD why not it’s a fun hobby for all. Just not many women wanna get sweaty and filthy for 6 hours and having to basically stay quite.

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
I agree with everything you said til your last sentence. There is no clear definition anymore and there can't be.

Thankfully it didn't happen to me, but what about the women whose husbands or fathers of their male children walked out on all of them? Are the women supposed to raise their sons as girls? Our society has made the lines get murky compared to the generations before mine. I don't have any idea how old you are.

An example is one of my cousin's husband abandoned her, their daughter and son. Cousin is a girly girl, city born and bred. She Had To Be Both Mother and Father...First she signed her son up in Cub Scouts... that was great until right off the bat there was 'Father/Son' camp out. Every scout had to have a guardian. Sooo, being a good Mother, she said she'd go and went out to buy herself a tent and whatever else was needed. That caused a huge mess cause no women were allowed they said....Mainly the wives of the dads in the troop complained. Cousin is very pretty... she learned to fish to take her son, she enrolled him in sports... she really couldn't practice well with him cause she's not athletic. She tried Big Brothers and ended with up guys who were more interested in her than her son. She didn't date after husband left because she didn't want to expose her children to possible weirdos. Understandable.

Her daughter was Homecoming Queen...Cousin had to walk her out on the field with the other father and daughters in the court and have the 'father daughter dance' with her. That was awkward to watch although her daughter was as happy as could be. When the daughter got married..Her Mother walked her down the aisle...POS father didn't help pay or show up. He's got a great career, double masters..He just didn't want to.

That's not an unusual situation, there's also men who die young. Same as women who die young and leave men to raise daughters. There's No Way to keep lines from blending.

I want boys to grow up to be nice, good men, self sufficient and not feel the need to put down women or make rude comments to cover their own insecurities. But first they have to take responsibility for lives they help to create...And that takes nice, good men to mold them.

Don't think for a minute that the majority of women want to be men...Or that single father wants to learn how to teach his daughter how to do a blow out or french braid her hair or apply makeup, go dress shopping or talk to her about becoming a woman.

Would you want your daughter not knowing how to do typically male things and God forbid her husband died or walked out on her and you weren't around to stand in? I wouldn't.

I'm not trying to give you heat as you said... it's just that women Cannot Expect Men to Always Be There for Them or Their Children.

Kace

These are some excellent points Kace and I applaud the fact that they are so well thought out. I read and re-read this several times to make sure I am understanding your points clearly.

Before I would retort, I would like to make sure that the Mods are going to allow this discussion.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's not an unusual situation, there's also men who die young. Same as women who die young and leave men to raise daughters. There's No Way to keep lines from blending.

I'm not trying to give you heat as you said... it's just that women Cannot Expect Men to Always Be There for Them or Their Children.

Kace

Yeah men can't expect women to always be there for their children either. I have this situation with my daughter and her mother. The good point your making is regardless of sex, everyone if need be must be able to take care of themselves with out relying on someone else. Though unless I misunderstood; you seem to put blame on men for leaving families, while women only die young to leave families. I assure you the pendulum swings both ways.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kace

Nope. There are some exceptions, but the real answer is NO.

Not even when you have the proper carry permit in your state (and/or other states).

I strongly caution you to not carry if/when you come to NJ. If you are stopped for any reason, having a firearm will make your troubles far worse.

I am not saying NJ is right (in fact I believe NJ is violating people's rights) but it is what it is and NJ can be a real pain for those who think their carry permits will suffice in NJ too.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Truth...Or you could look at it that most men can do anything a woman can do.

The cheerleading thing is different for me too, but my 87yr old mother said that back in her day there were cheer guys. If you read the history of cheerleading, it started as a male sport. I didn't have any on my squads though.

I was raised to help anyone, male or female. About a year ago on the way to the bank that was gonna close in 5min I saw a F250 on the side of the road with a flat tire. I went on to the bank and on the way back it was still there so I stopped...stereotypically thinking it was a woman... it was a man in this big truck who had no clue how to drop the spare or where the jack was or how to use it or get his tire off.

He, thinking I didn't know how asked if I lived close and if my husband could come help him...I just said that wasn't necessary and dropped the spare and changed his tire...

We both made stereotypical assumptions...

Kace

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah men can't expect women to always be there for their children either. I have this situation with my daughter and her mother. The good point your making is regardless of sex, everyone if need be must be able to take care of themselves with out relying on someone else. Though unless I misunderstood; you seem to put blame on men for leaving families, while women only die young to leave families. I assure you the pendulum swings both ways.

I'll rewrite that...Women Do walk out on families same as men. I wasn't meaning to imply exclusively men.

Thanks for catching that!

Kace

I Added That To My Post TP.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
These are some excellent points Kace and I applaud the fact that they are so well thought out. I read and re-read this several times to make sure I am understanding your points clearly.

Before I would retort, I would like to make sure that the Mods are going to allow this discussion.

Neither of us are throwing insults or going Team Man or Team Woman... just a discussion that is beneficial to both males and females.

As far as I'm concerned we'll just keep it that way and discuss.

Kace

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither of us are throwing insults or going Team Man or Team Woman... just a discussion that is beneficial to both males and females.

Kace

well said, It is important for both to understand each other.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth...Or you could look at it that most men can do anything a woman can do.

The cheerleading thing is different for me too, but my 87yr old mother said that back in her day there were cheer guys. If you read the history of cheerleading, it started as a male sport. I didn't have any on my squads though.

I was raised to help anyone, male or female. About a year ago on the way to the bank that was gonna close in 5min I saw a F250 on the side of the road with a flat tire. I went on to the bank and on the way back it was still there so I stopped...stereotypically thinking it was a woman... it was a man in this big truck who had no clue how to drop the spare or where the jack was or how to use it or get his tire off.

He, thinking I didn't know how asked if I lived close and if my husband could come help him...I just said that wasn't necessary and dropped the spare and changed his tire...

We both made stereotypical assumptions...

Kace

Hey I say go for it I quit watching football 3 years ago. And as far as helping everyone equally not me I’ll only pullover to help a woman with a flat tire if you’re a guy and don’t know how to do it you better learn. But I guess I’m just set in my old ways and I’m only 49.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kace

He has a point these days there’s a big wide brush gray line for political correctness.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL!...I'm sure you'd help an older guy. Although the guy I helped was younger than you. Nobody ever taught him how to change a flat???

My father wouldn't of let me drive if I didn't know basic stuff like that.

I didn't take drivers ed... I wonder if they teach how to change a flat?

Kace

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!...I'm sure you'd help an older guy. Although the guy I helped was younger than you. Nobody ever taught him how to change a flat???

My father wouldn't of let me drive if I didn't know basic stuff like that.

I didn't take drivers ed... I wonder if they teach how to change a flat?

Kace
Nope they are taught how to ruin their lives by acting on their emotions, rather than sound and logical scientific thought. Most kids assume you simply throw something out now when it doesn't work, fixing it doesn't even cross their minds.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used

Kace

I was not clear when I was speaking of male and female roles. What I should of said was characteristics. I understand that the roles of men and women have changed/merged(moms dads etc) and that is something that will never be as it was. I was speaking more along the lines of a man behaving in a manly fashion and a women doing likewise.

I firmly believe at our core, we are animals utilizing and interpreting our primitive drives to the best of our ability. What happens when you suppress those drives for too long? A savage backlash occurs.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this thing got way out there. The question is, should women metal detect? I am sure there are many who would never ever go out and get muddy and dirty. And that is up to them. But, I don't see any reason it should be just for men. I mean, there is nothing hard about detecting. I am sure some men are better at it than others. They know and understand their machine and do well. But, I bet there are woman just as good. Maybe not as many. It is an escape for me. When I am out there I think of nothing else, and I am outside, which I have always loved. Had a very hard year this last year. Lost my husband, sister, and my very best friend. So I need an escape once in a while. And even if you suck at it,(man or woman) you should be able to detect if you want to do it! Who does it hurt? P.S. I can still do girly things. LOL

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocco and my other pups always stay close without taking off is why I mentioned that... You're right...No way could you hold a leash and detect! lol!

Have you ever thought about adopting an older rescue dog that's calm and content to walk on a long leash hooked to your belt? I'd suggest a female if you ever do that.. I adopted a Rottweiler through Rottweiler Rescue to have a playmate for my Rottie...she was calm although I kept her on a leash for the first 6months til I knew her temperament.

I've always wanted to detect Jersey... Lots Of Bling Up That Way! lol! I'm going to be up that way, I'll holler at ya. What part of Jersey are you in?

Kace

No guns unless you have a special permit. Bit trouble there in N.J.. and I am in South Jersey. Way south. And I would be thrilled to have you.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I firmly believe at our core, we are animals utilizing and interpreting our primitive drives to the best of our ability. What happens when you suppress those drives for too long? A savage backlash occurs.

And I Agree...Since you brought up the animal part and I'm a hunter too....The majority of animals hang out with their own sex until it's the season for procreation. Then they mix.

Whether it's detecting, hunting, fishing, bingo, baking or backgammon...if both sexes enjoy it and can pull their own weight. It doesn't matter to me.

It doesn't bother me in the least if men talk like some men do when I'm there, as long as it isn't directed At me. It never has been, I don't give men a reason to feel burdened with my presence. I don't like it around the kids in my life, but neither do they.

I bring men to my farm to hunt...I take men out in my bass boat to fish and Ive loaned a couple of them my truck, trailer and 4-wheeler/pit bike if they need them.

I totally get that sometimes men, just want to be around men for boys night or weekend and women love girls night out or a weekend. I'm in no way advocating for the ending of that!

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread