Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2011
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You are right Kace - many times it's just easier to let the man do what is considered "the manly thing" to not hurt their egos. I also remember a couple of times where my mom made the same statements about letting the guy win the game/match/whatever so he would feel better. These days I'm not concerned about some guys ego. If he can't handle a woman besting them that's their problem and says more about them. I'm tired of tip toeing around the pissy guys. When they feel "outmanned" by a woman they start yacking about that woman being a "di*e", a "bi*ch" or some liberal that's trying to take their manhood away from them - as if that's something any woman really wants. I've had a couple of young men come up to me while I was out detecting and they started off just asking questions and then start asking personal questions and then asking me out for a date. I know in the area there are some gangs that have the young guys ask out older women on dates as part or an initiation process so in both cases I took out my digger and pointed it right at them and told them to leave. I'm somewhat intimidating I've been told when I'm angry so they took off. I keep myself aware of the area and have my digger and mace in reach and in hand if someone is closer than 10yds away. There is nothing wrong with a guy trying to be nice and helpful or a guy that is just used to helping out the women folk and have no bad intentions and I certainly wouldn't put someone down for it but those that use it as an excuse to say that women are weaklings I just won't stand for.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    7822 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I once dated a girl who would metal detect and hunt artifacts with me. She made every hunt more enjoyable and there were few times when I felt the need to step in if other men got to curious. But I will say this. She was a very good treasure hunter and a girly girl and her finds were many. My suggestion is to anyone wanting into the hobby and is new is learn to pay attention to your surroundings and deal with what may come. On the other hand no one should feel embarrassed or afraid when hunting alone.Just be aware.No reason that a woman can not be as good or better than any guy when detecting or treasure hunting.
    All metal detecting shows have been very goofy and do not really show the hobby. I encourage women to give it a try though.The thrill of the hunt is fun.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2855 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    I once dated a girl who would metal detect and hunt artifacts with me. She made every hunt more enjoyable and there were few times when I felt the need to step in if other men got to curious. But I will say this. She was a very good treasure hunter and a girly girl and her finds were many. My suggestion is to anyone wanting into the hobby and is new is learn to pay attention to your surroundings and deal with what may come. On the other hand no one should feel embarrassed or afraid when hunting alone.Just be aware.No reason that a woman can not be as good or better than any guy when detecting or treasure hunting.
    All metal detecting shows have been very goofy and do not really show the hobby. I encourage women to give it a try though.The thrill of the hunt is fun.
    AMEN! Years ago I never felt afraid or nervous but there's some shady characters out there now.

Down at the COR lakes there's people making Meth in the woods... ya never know where they are unless you happen to smell it cooking. Some go in by boat and one or three will stay in the meth camp while the boat leaves, so it's really hard to tell if anything is going on in those areas. Those people are whacked and I avoid that at all cost.

Rocco will usually start growling and staring into the woods if there's another human around so he's definitely my first defense if I'm alone. We jump back in the boat and leave.

Kace

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2855 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dokc View Post
    You are right Kace - many times it's just easier to let the man do what is considered "the manly thing" to not hurt their egos. I also remember a couple of times where my mom made the same statements about letting the guy win the game/match/whatever so he would feel better. These days I'm not concerned about some guys ego. If he can't handle a woman besting them that's their problem and says more about them. I'm tired of tip toeing around the pissy guys. When they feel "outmanned" by a woman they start yacking about that woman being a "di*e", a "bi*ch" or some liberal that's trying to take their manhood away from them - as if that's something any woman really wants. I've had a couple of young men come up to me while I was out detecting and they started off just asking questions and then start asking personal questions and then asking me out for a date. I know in the area there are some gangs that have the young guys ask out older women on dates as part or an initiation process so in both cases I took out my digger and pointed it right at them and told them to leave. I'm somewhat intimidating I've been told when I'm angry so they took off. I keep myself aware of the area and have my digger and mace in reach and in hand if someone is closer than 10yds away. There is nothing wrong with a guy trying to be nice and helpful or a guy that is just used to helping out the women folk and have no bad intentions and I certainly wouldn't put someone down for it but those that use it as an excuse to say that women are weaklings I just won't stand for.
    Dokc...I hear exactly what you're saying...Do you ever think about how many times you've heard fathers say to their boys...'You gonna let a GIRL beat you? I Still hear that.

I think comments like that stick with some guys and they grow up living and repeating that BS.

It's very true that men sometimes use their brawn or strength to manhandle things....women at times have to work smarter and not harder and utilize tools to level the job. It might take a little longer, but it gets done.

If I kill a deer... I field dress it and If I can't lift it onto a rack I use either the 12v winch or block and tackle. I for darn sure don't wait or call for one of the guys to do it. I'd be embarrassed to do that. lol!

Like you..I appreciate guys offering help, Ill help them help me and if they are alone I'll jump in and help them too.

We all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Kace

ca
    Sep 2014
    Nova Scotia
    AT PRO
    97 times
    Ok I did not read the whole thread. Why not bring one along if they show interest in it? Especially if its a kid. There are certainly far worse things they could do as a hobby. If they lose interest or just are not as into it as you are there are other options. Go to a river or some place where they can take pictures or look for rocks. Maybe watch deer or squirrels. The whole trip does not have to be metal detecting. The most important thing is to just get outside and enjoy the day instead of sitting with your nose glued to a screen somewhere.

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post

I'll ask you guys, Do You Want to do these things for women or Don't Really Want To, But think that You Should as a man?

To some degree I believe it is a generational thing, but it's really more about being taught to respect women than it is being born at a specific time. My own standpoint is that I'm being respectful by offering to do the grunt work. Deep down there is a certain drive to protect women - in my case anyway - but offering to do the physical work is far more about respect than it is protection.

I hold doors for women. Young, old, somewhere in between - it makes no difference - if I see a woman coming I hold the door for her. It isn't that she can't open the door. A couple of times I've been scolded 'because she is perfectly capable of opening the door herself' but that doesn't stop me from being polite. My father insisted that I did so as a young boy, and I still do it to this day.

There are times when I feel somewhat compelled to help (really tired, pressed for time, etc..) but most of the time I offer to help because I want to. I'm not offended when the woman politely declines the offer of help. I typically decline offers (to help) myself, because I know I can do the task without help. I also know the offer itself helped me in ways that the person making the offer probably doesn't realize.

That's my take on it.

BTW - regarding the OP: I see no reason why women shouldn't be encouraged to metal detect (or any other hobby that they're interested in). My sole objection would be those examples where they find the silver I'm looking for - but that's also my objection to men getting into metal detecting.

I bought my wife a metal detector and I'll buy my granddaughter a metal detector too (once I have a granddaughter, that is). I like to spread the disease.

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    3870 times
    I remember starting a thread on this topic years ago , the responses were fairly similar ( if memory serves) a fair number of sexist , cheap jokes at the expense of women , and some revealing comments from women who enjoy detecting , and others who would rather spend their leisure time pursuing other interests.

us
    Bri

Apr 2018
    florida
    Bounty Tracker IV
    170 times
    Relic Hunting
    I go detecting with my dad, I love researching the history of local towns and identifying stuff that we dig up. I think it just depends on how you were raised and what your interested in no matter the gender (it's also a bit uncommon to see younger dudes I think). I was always interested in video games, catching snakes and lizards and fishing while growing up. It's not really a hobby i'd share with my friends because it's kinda weird, other girls my age are out partying, but I am really glad that I got into it because i've gotten to spend time with my dad a lot more, and I know i'll be grateful for that someday. I think older women are also too busy with children or jobs or maybe they've never been exposed to it before so they dont know what they're missing! Personally I dont think i'll keep doing it as this rate forever, because theres a life I have to get to and i've got to think of my future, but hopefully i'll find those spanish doubloon's and not have to worry about that anymore

us
    Becky

Jun 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
    869 times
    Well, I just could not chime in. I love to metal detect. As a child we hunted Indian relics. I still do. I just don't see what gender has to do with it. I am afraid to go hunting alone in some places. Not just because I am a woman, but I am old with grey hair and barely 5 feet tall. The world is not the place I grew up in. There are people out there who would kill you for your sneakers. A metal detector would be a nice prize for them. I do wish I had someone to hunt with, be it man or woman. I enjoy sharing finds, and am as happy when someone else finds something good as I am when I do.
    Wish there were more women here that had an interest in hunting.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2855 times
    Jersey...You're right, there's some crazies out there for sure.

I haven't done it, but a friend that moved out of town put an ad in her local CL and her High School and College FB hoping someone local to her would respond for people to do stuff with after she moved and had a lot of women and men respond. She made friends in her new area that way.

Do you carry? It is a safer to have someone with you or a big protective dog.

Just a suggestion,

Kace
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

us
    Becky

Jun 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
    869 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    Jersey...You're right, there's some crazies out there for sure.

I haven't done it, but a friend that moved out of town put an ad in her local CL and her High School and College FB hoping someone local to her would respond for people to do stuff with after she moved and had a lot of women and men respond. She made friends in her new area that way.

Do you carry? It is a safer to have someone with you or a big protective dog.

Just a suggestion,

Kace
    I live in N.J. so can't carry. And keeping a big dog on a leash is hard. Only have two hands. LOL I am 77 years old here. Thanks Kace. Wish we were closer.
    Kace and Hillbilly Prince like this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2855 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OldJerseyGirl View Post
    I live in N.J. so can't carry. And keeping a big dog on a leash is hard. Only have two hands. LOL I am 77 years old here. Thanks Kace. Wish we were closer.
    Rocco and my other pups always stay close without taking off is why I mentioned that... You're right...No way could you hold a leash and detect! lol!

Have you ever thought about adopting an older rescue dog that's calm and content to walk on a long leash hooked to your belt? I'd suggest a female if you ever do that.. I adopted a Rottweiler through Rottweiler Rescue to have a playmate for my Rottie...she was calm although I kept her on a leash for the first 6months til I knew her temperament.

I've always wanted to detect Jersey... Lots Of Bling Up That Way! lol! I'm going to be up that way, I'll holler at ya. What part of Jersey are you in?

You can't carry a gun in New Jersey??

Kace
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    I get a few calls each week from folks that have questions about gold prospecting, and metal detecting.
    I just got off the phone with “Wendy,” from Greenwich, Connecticut. I’m writing this post because her
    call is so typical of the women that call for information.

Wendy bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver a few years ago, went out to the beach with her daughter but,
    “..felt strange, almost like we shouldn’t be there.” She was put off by the looks they were getting and
    comments people made. Later, she felt confused on where she could actually “detect legally,” and her metal
    detector became a closet queen.

She saw a listing for our club and wanted to know if I could help her learn her machine and figure out where
    to go hunting with her daughter. I will direct her here to TreasureNet, when she emails me later, and of
    course, drive up or invite her down for lessons and a hunt.

Wendy was disappointed to learn women make up less than 12% of the metal detecting community, and I
    discussed with her the possibility of beginning a “Women’s” Metal Detecting Club, there in Greenwich. As a
    Community, we need more outreach to women and girls by clubs, and individuals in the hobby.

I encourage local dealers and clubs to sponsor Girl Scout, as well as Boy Scout troops, local Little League and
    Youth groups, by hosting seeded & unseeded hunts and demonstrations. Let’s all try and bring a niece,
    granddaughter, or a “Wendy” into our world, and show them why we love it so much.
    I feel like this quite often as you never know how someone will take you digging in a public spot.

So now, here is where I am stepping into the fire and going to catch heat.

While I agree with you that metal detecting is not a male exclusive activity, I feel we should let girls have a chance to be girls first, then let them decide if metal detecting is for them. I feel the roles of men and women are becoming muddy and lack clear definitions.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2855 times
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    I feel like this quite often as you never know how someone will take you digging in a public spot.

So now, here is where I am stepping into the fire and going to catch heat.

While I agree with you that metal detecting is not a male exclusive activity, I feel we should let girls have a chance to be girls first, then let them decide if metal detecting is for them. I feel the roles of men and women are becoming muddy and lack clear definitions.
    I agree with everything you said til your last sentence. There is no clear definition anymore and there can't be.

Thankfully it didn't happen to me, but what about the women whose husbands or fathers of their male children walked out on all of them? Are the women supposed to raise their sons as girls? Our society has made the lines get murky compared to the generations before mine. I don't have any idea how old you are.

An example is one of my cousin's husband abandoned her, their daughter and son. Cousin is a girly girl, city born and bred. She Had To Be Both Mother and Father...First she signed her son up in Cub Scouts... that was great until right off the bat there was 'Father/Son' camp out. Every scout had to have a guardian. Sooo, being a good Mother, she said she'd go and went out to buy herself a tent and whatever else was needed. That caused a huge mess cause no women were allowed they said....Mainly the wives of the dads in the troop complained. Cousin is very pretty... she learned to fish to take her son, she enrolled him in sports... she really couldn't practice well with him cause she's not athletic. She tried Big Brothers and ended with up guys who were more interested in her than her son. She didn't date after husband left because she didn't want to expose her children to possible weirdos. Understandable.

Her daughter was Homecoming Queen...Cousin had to walk her out on the field with the other father and daughters in the court and have the 'father daughter dance' with her. That was awkward to watch although her daughter was as happy as could be. When the daughter got married..Her Mother walked her down the aisle...POS father didn't help pay or show up. He's got a great career, double masters..He just didn't want to.

That's not an unusual situation, there's also men who die young. Same as women who die young Or walk out on their families and leave men to raise daughters. There's No Way to keep lines from blending.

I want boys to grow up to be nice, good men, self sufficient and not feel the need to put down women or make rude comments to cover their own insecurities. But first they have to take responsibility for lives they help to create...And that takes nice, good men to mold them.

Don't think for a minute that the majority of women want to be men...Or that single father wants to learn how to teach his daughter how to do a blow out or french braid her hair or apply makeup, go dress shopping or talk to her about becoming a woman.

Would you want your daughter not knowing how to do typically male things and God forbid her husband died or walked out on her and you weren't around to stand in? I wouldn't.

I'm not trying to give you heat as you said... it's just that Women Cannot Expect Men to Always Be There for Them or Their Children....Nor Can Men Expect Women To Always Be There.

Kace
    Last edited by Kace; Sep 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM.
    b3y0nd3r, Truth1253, dokc and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    14084 times
    Metal Detecting

Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

I think it’s a lot more odd having a man Professional Cheerleader, but in these days and time nothing, but nothing surprises me. As far as women doing detecting who cares. I’m so tired of hearing this “women can do anything men can do” and now actual radical feminism I would love it to be 50/50 up and down the board. Men just have to learn not to care and help “just because she’s a women” thing that we have been conditioned too.

But it’s just MD why not it’s a fun hobby for all. Just not many women wanna get sweaty and filthy for 6 hours and having to basically stay quite.
    Last edited by Truth1253; Sep 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Kace and Hillbilly Prince like this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links