Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Makro Multi Kruzer -- Notka Pinpointer -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger
    19055 times
    Metal Detecting

Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

I get a few calls each week from folks that have questions about gold prospecting, and metal detecting.
    I just got off the phone with “Wendy,” from Greenwich, Connecticut. I’m writing this post because her
    call is so typical of the women that call for information.

Wendy bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver a few years ago, went out to the beach with her daughter but,
    “..felt strange, almost like we shouldn’t be there.” She was put off by the looks they were getting and
    comments people made. Later, she felt confused on where she could actually “detect legally,” and her metal
    detector became a closet queen.

She saw a listing for our club and wanted to know if I could help her learn her machine and figure out where
    to go hunting with her daughter. I will direct her here to TreasureNet, when she emails me later, and of
    course, drive up or invite her down for lessons and a hunt.

Wendy was disappointed to learn women make up less than 12% of the metal detecting community, and I
    discussed with her the possibility of beginning a “Women’s” Metal Detecting Club, there in Greenwich. As a
    Community, we need more outreach to women and girls by clubs, and individuals in the hobby.

I encourage local dealers and clubs to sponsor Girl Scout, as well as Boy Scout troops, local Little League and
    Youth groups, by hosting seeded & unseeded hunts and demonstrations. Let’s all try and bring a niece,
    granddaughter, or a “Wendy” into our world, and show them why we love it so much.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2732 times
    Metal Detecting
    Totally agree. As a father of three daughters, and four granddaughters, I believe there shouldn't be any exclusionary activities. If they want to, then they should.

Lying is now the norm. The truth is not only unwelcome, it is offensive.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    2561 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    I get a few calls each week from folks that have questions about gold prospecting, and metal detecting.
    I just got off the phone with “Wendy,” from Greenwich, Connecticut. I’m writing this post because her
    call is so typical of the women that call for information.

Wendy bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver a few years ago, went out to the beach with her daughter but,
    “..felt strange, almost like we shouldn’t be there.” She was put off by the looks they were getting and
    comments people made. Later, she felt confused on where she could actually “detect legally,” and her metal
    detector became a closet queen.

She saw a listing for our club and wanted to know if I could help her learn her machine and figure out where
    to go hunting with her daughter. I will direct her here to TreasureNet, when she emails me later, and of
    course, drive up or invite her down for lessons and a hunt.

Wendy was disappointed to learn women make up less than 12% of the metal detecting community, and I
    discussed with her the possibility of beginning a “Women’s” Metal Detecting Club, there in Greenwich. As a
    Community, we need more outreach to women and girls by clubs, and individuals in the hobby.

I encourage local dealers and clubs to sponsor Girl Scout, as well as Boy Scout troops, local Little League and
    Youth groups, by hosting seeded & unseeded hunts and demonstrations. Let’s all try and bring a niece,
    granddaughter, or a “Wendy” into our world, and show them why we love it so much.
    Wendy sounds like she wants to succeed and that is great. Maybe it is a simple lack of exposure for a lot of women.
    As far as treasure hunting in general I see more women in flea markets and at garage sales than men. Maybe if they knew they might take a try at metal detecting.
    In this area there are a lot of women who camp, fish,and hunt. They are not afraid of getting dirty.
    Really nice if you to ebcourage her.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus
    4543 times
    My son is career Navy, just been transferred back to Pensacola for his last 31/2 years. His oldest girl found a pack rivet in my yard and is hooked on treasure hunting. She will soon teach me how to water hunt. Looking forward to it. I'm gonna give her one of my machines when they get settled in. Can't wait.
    Words not spoken never have to be defended

us
    Wheres The Gold

Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250 Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
    2337 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have the opposite Problem I Cant Keep red Away From The Dirt Dirty red Head!!! lol we detect every weekend
    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

Metal detecting is Like A Marathon, Your Running fast then start Slowing A Bit The You Find Something Interesting And You Pick Up the Pace!!! The Only Difference is If You Are Addicted to this Hobby there Is NO FINISH LINE HH Chug And Red

us
    John Scott

Sep 2014
    Salem, NY
    AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
    231 times
    My experience is that fewer women have an interest in detecting then males. Few males have interest in sewing and knitting. If I sewed or knitted I would expect to be a minority at the fabric and yarn shop. Males and females are different even if the politically correct try to tell you otherwise.
    If all your finding is pull tabs, bottle caps and beer cans, I've already been there.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    2561 times
    Yes they are hard-wired differently. There are exceptions of course.
    You can try but if someone is not interested you are wasting your time. If a woman is interested that is a different story.
    Has anyone ever seen women, who are pursuing a hobby dominated by women, wonder how they can attract more men to their hobby? I haven't.
    A2coins likes this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    10826 times
    Metal Detecting
    When I am at the beach, the girls fight over who gets to take care of me
    Hillbilly Prince and rook3434 like this.

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    10826 times
    Metal Detecting
    Guess it helps to have Clooney’s face on Arnold’s body

us
    John Scott

Sep 2014
    Salem, NY
    AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    Either your a really lucky guy or you've been out detecting in them weed patches ! Find anything good ?
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.
    If all your finding is pull tabs, bottle caps and beer cans, I've already been there.

Feb 2013
    22 times
    Let me chime in if you don't mind.....since I am a woman. I love it, but again as a woman I don't know any others that like to do this or would want to do it. Since I am a woman I can say it - some just don't like to get dirty plan and simple. Others, and myself is included in this....feel odd about the looks and for some reason I notice that people seem to stare more at women doing this than men.

And I totally get the feeling of yes, you shouldn't be here doing this, which kind of takes away from the feeling of just enjoying the walk and outdoor air.

I do hope more women would get into this, it is so much fun. But living in Southern California I know that won't happen.

I can't wait for my HUGE upgrade to a Minelab Equinox and get to diggin.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    2561 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliCondor View Post
    Let me chime in if you don't mind.....since I am a woman. I love it, but again as a woman I don't know any others that like to do this or would want to do it. Since I am a woman I can say it - some just don't like to get dirty plan and simple. Others, and myself is included in this....feel odd about the looks and for some reason I notice that people seem to stare more at women doing this than men.

And I totally get the feeling of yes, you shouldn't be here doing this, which kind of takes away from the feeling of just enjoying the walk and outdoor air.

I do hope more women would get into this, it is so much fun. But living in Southern California I know that won't happen.

Finally an opinion from a woman
    There are a few guys who don't want to get dirty as well.
    I think most people do not feel it is a good idea to stare at a man too much because it might invite an unpleasant response. You never really know how a man might react.
    CaliCondor and Kace like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5100 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Rosemary Clooney and Tom Arnold? Not a pretty sight!

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    12135 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliCondor View Post

I couldn’t see a all women hunt because most women hate each other.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    12135 times
    Metal Detecting
    Not all, not all, but most I’m happy don’t like this hobby. Nothing wrong with a hobby mostly obsessed by men. To be honest I can’t stand watching videos with girly girls detecting it irks the hell out of me. If my wife wanted to start metal detecting I’d kill myself and I love that women more then life itself. But that’s just me. Good luck out there guys!!!
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links