Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get a few calls each week from folks that have questions about gold prospecting, and metal detecting.
I just got off the phone with “Wendy,” from Greenwich, Connecticut. I’m writing this post because her
call is so typical of the women that call for information.

Wendy bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver a few years ago, went out to the beach with her daughter but,
“..felt strange, almost like we shouldn’t be there.” She was put off by the looks they were getting and
comments people made. Later, she felt confused on where she could actually “detect legally,” and her metal
detector became a closet queen.

She saw a listing for our club and wanted to know if I could help her learn her machine and figure out where
to go hunting with her daughter. I will direct her here to TreasureNet, when she emails me later, and of
course, drive up or invite her down for lessons and a hunt.

Wendy was disappointed to learn women make up less than 12% of the metal detecting community, and I
discussed with her the possibility of beginning a “Women’s” Metal Detecting Club, there in Greenwich. As a
Community, we need more outreach to women and girls by clubs, and individuals in the hobby.

I encourage local dealers and clubs to sponsor Girl Scout, as well as Boy Scout troops, local Little League and
Youth groups, by hosting seeded & unseeded hunts and demonstrations. Let’s all try and bring a niece,
granddaughter, or a “Wendy” into our world, and show them why we love it so much. :skullflag:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally agree. As a father of three daughters, and four granddaughters, I believe there shouldn't be any exclusionary activities. If they want to, then they should.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a few calls each week from folks that have questions about gold prospecting, and metal detecting.
I just got off the phone with “Wendy,” from Greenwich, Connecticut. I’m writing this post because her
call is so typical of the women that call for information.

Wendy bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver a few years ago, went out to the beach with her daughter but,
“..felt strange, almost like we shouldn’t be there.” She was put off by the looks they were getting and
comments people made. Later, she felt confused on where she could actually “detect legally,” and her metal
detector became a closet queen.

She saw a listing for our club and wanted to know if I could help her learn her machine and figure out where
to go hunting with her daughter. I will direct her here to TreasureNet, when she emails me later, and of
course, drive up or invite her down for lessons and a hunt.

Wendy was disappointed to learn women make up less than 12% of the metal detecting community, and I
discussed with her the possibility of beginning a “Women’s” Metal Detecting Club, there in Greenwich. As a
Community, we need more outreach to women and girls by clubs, and individuals in the hobby.

I encourage local dealers and clubs to sponsor Girl Scout, as well as Boy Scout troops, local Little League and
Youth groups, by hosting seeded & unseeded hunts and demonstrations. Let’s all try and bring a niece,
granddaughter, or a “Wendy” into our world, and show them why we love it so much. :skullflag:

Wendy sounds like she wants to succeed and that is great. Maybe it is a simple lack of exposure for a lot of women.
As far as treasure hunting in general I see more women in flea markets and at garage sales than men. Maybe if they knew they might take a try at metal detecting.
In this area there are a lot of women who camp, fish,and hunt. They are not afraid of getting dirty.
Really nice if you to ebcourage her.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My son is career Navy, just been transferred back to Pensacola for his last 31/2 years. His oldest girl found a pack rivet in my yard and is hooked on treasure hunting. She will soon teach me how to water hunt. Looking forward to it. I'm gonna give her one of my machines when they get settled in. Can't wait.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the opposite Problem I Cant Keep red Away From The Dirt Dirty red Head!!! lol we detect every weekend

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience is that fewer women have an interest in detecting then males. Few males have interest in sewing and knitting. If I sewed or knitted I would expect to be a minority at the fabric and yarn shop. Males and females are different even if the politically correct try to tell you otherwise.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are hard-wired differently. There are exceptions of course.
You can try but if someone is not interested you are wasting your time. If a woman is interested that is a different story.
Has anyone ever seen women, who are pursuing a hobby dominated by women, wonder how they can attract more men to their hobby? I haven't.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I am at the beach, the girls fight over who gets to take care of me

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess it helps to have Clooney’s face on Arnold’s body

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Either your a really lucky guy or you've been out detecting in them weed patches ! Find anything good ?

CaliCondor

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me chime in if you don't mind.....since I am a woman. I love it, but again as a woman I don't know any others that like to do this or would want to do it. Since I am a woman I can say it - some just don't like to get dirty plan and simple. Others, and myself is included in this....feel odd about the looks and for some reason I notice that people seem to stare more at women doing this than men.

And I totally get the feeling of yes, you shouldn't be here doing this, which kind of takes away from the feeling of just enjoying the walk and outdoor air.

I do hope more women would get into this, it is so much fun. But living in Southern California I know that won't happen.

I can't wait for my HUGE upgrade to a Minelab Equinox and get to diggin.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me chime in if you don't mind.....since I am a woman. I love it, but again as a woman I don't know any others that like to do this or would want to do it. Since I am a woman I can say it - some just don't like to get dirty plan and simple. Others, and myself is included in this....feel odd about the looks and for some reason I notice that people seem to stare more at women doing this than men.

And I totally get the feeling of yes, you shouldn't be here doing this, which kind of takes away from the feeling of just enjoying the walk and outdoor air.

I do hope more women would get into this, it is so much fun. But living in Southern California I know that won't happen.

Finally an opinion from a woman :)
There are a few guys who don't want to get dirty as well.
I think most people do not feel it is a good idea to stare at a man too much because it might invite an unpleasant response. You never really know how a man might react.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rosemary Clooney and Tom Arnold? Not a pretty sight!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I couldn’t see a all women hunt because most women hate each other.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not all, not all, but most I’m happy don’t like this hobby. Nothing wrong with a hobby mostly obsessed by men. To be honest I can’t stand watching videos with girly girls detecting it irks the hell out of me. If my wife wanted to start metal detecting I’d kill myself and I love that women more then life itself. But that’s just me. Good luck out there guys!!!

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a woman I will chime in also. We as women are more alert most times for those that are giving strange looks because we have to! It's our first line of defense, if someone is giving you the eye you don't know what is behind that and it's better to just remove yourself from the situation as you don't know their intentions or what a group may do. I have no problem with any of these "guys" hobbies. I bought a '70 challenger at 16 and rebuilt the motor myself with just the help of a repair manual. I taught myself to ride a motorcyle by going to a small open field and then doing circles until I got the guts to get on the street. I also like to make quilts. I taught my husband to make quilts also and he loves it as he is a welder and loves the math of the difference seams and curves and the creativity. My husband and I started on detecting together but he just didn't take to so I've been doing it myself for 10yrs. If you give a kid different opportunities when they are young they will grow up experiencing more. I take my grandkids - boys and girls - detecting sometimes and do all sorts of crafts in the summer. The girls and boys both like to help cooking and changing the oil and different things on the vehicles with me and papa. I know most of the responses were made in fun but those things are heard and continues the idea that men and women shouldn't have the same hobbies and it doesn't represent this hobby well.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the previous post is on point - how kids are raised has a lot to do with it .I know that as a coin collector from about eight years old, I would see advertising for metal detectors in coin magazines , so in some way my interest in coins pointed me toward detecting .I'm 60 now and I can say that I also know very few women or girls who are coin collectors (or detectorists).

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a woman I will chime in also. We as women are more alert most times for those that are giving strange looks because we have to! It's our first line of defense, if someone is giving you the eye you don't know what is behind that and it's better to just remove yourself from the situation as you don't know their intentions or what a group may do. I have no problem with any of these "guys" hobbies. I bought a '70 challenger at 16 and rebuilt the motor myself with just the help of a repair manual. I taught myself to ride a motorcyle by going to a small open field and then doing circles until I got the guts to get on the street. I also like to make quilts. I taught my husband to make quilts also and he loves it as he is a welder and loves the math of the difference seams and curves and the creativity. My husband and I started on detecting together but he just didn't take to so I've been doing it myself for 10yrs. If you give a kid different opportunities when they are young they will grow up experiencing more. I take my grandkids - boys and girls - detecting sometimes and do all sorts of crafts in the summer. The girls and boys both like to help cooking and changing the oil and different things on the vehicles with me and papa. I know most of the responses were made in fun but those things are heard and continues the idea that men and women shouldn't have the same hobbies and it doesn't represent this hobby well.

Your definitely looking into this too deep. As far as kids sure they should be able to do what they have interest in. But when they become mature interest change. Metal detecting can be fun for any kid but many males let along females will not stick with it. Yeah, my old lady loves fishing but I have to bait the hook, take the fish off and clean everything she catches. She has the fun of the catch but doesn't do the dirty work. She likes venison but only cooks it and could never kill let alone skin and butcher a deer. Just like female hunters, they may shoot it but they are not going to do the dirty work because that's what males are for. So because your a female bending over engaging in your hobby your going to attract attention and people will look and the vast majority will be males. That's the truth of the matter. So Males are Males and females are females no matter what the left wing may say and the political correctness will attempt you to believe.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, are you guys done yet? We women might be outnumbered but certainly there are many of us out there and we are just as good at detecting as men are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread