Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just came in from my front porch here in Georgetown, SC. It's a warm sunny day, birds are singing, cicadas periodically busting loose with their bizarre chirp, and looking around this quiet neighborhood, with the grand oaks ( I have six on my lot ), and the older homes, their large kept lawns with mature azalea bushes, and tall magnolia trees, I wonder if it will all be laid waste in five or six days by the approaching storm.

Our neighborhood lies one quarter mile from the Atlantic, elevation eight feet. Nothing to do for it, but the anxiety is beginning to ratchet up. Waiting. I don't wish Florence upon anyone else, but I am hoping it makes a turn. Currently, we are dead center of the predicted path. Good luck to you all.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I assume you are seeking of the storm that came in from the gulf and mixed with a low pressure system heading east. It came directly over my area with little damage. Hope the same for you.

RevAndy

Jun 16, 2018
RI
Detector(s) used
Teknetic 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my prayers...

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume you are seeking of the storm that came in from the gulf and mixed with a low pressure system heading east. It came directly over my area with little damage. Hope the same for you.

No, I am speaking of Florence, east of us in the Atlantic, predicted to become a major storm with winds in the 140mph range, currently aimed dead on SC. Landfall expected this Friday. Glad to hear your storm passed over with minimal damage.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang! I was hoping this was a shooting or hunting thread. It is almost time for me to nab me some free-range organic.

Hope that storm turns for you and yours Kray. Maybe it'll hit a cold front.

Thanks. Have done a fair amount of shooting and hunting. Let's see...shot and ate deer, elk, black bear, rabbits, pheasant, grouse, quail, chuckar, huns, all sorts of ducks, geese, dove, snipe, and squirrel. I DON'T recommend the bear, and can't believe I ate squirrel. The last one of those I shot had so many fleas on it, you couldn't count. That cured me of squirrel hunting.
I'd rather talk hunting than hurricanes.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got fleas on the cottontails and snowshoes around here. They say if you leave 'em dead in the snow the fleas will fall off. Pffft! Maybe once rigor mortis sets in. I just skin em in the field. Grey squirrel is palatable, but never, and I mean never, try to eat a red or fox squirrel. I'd rather have to eat crickets. Never had bear.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bear hides are so full of dirt, your knife is dull before you get them opened up. You seriously have to sharpen your knife several times before the hide is off. Their carcass looks creepily human, hanging there. I never ate an old bear, the three I harvested in Idaho were 2 or 3 years old. I don't recommend them because their meat is so greasy, and it kind of builds up on your teeth when eating it. Tastes OK, kind of sweet, but the grease put me off finally.

A friend of mine gave me some antelope one time. Tasted like sage brush, and I didn't like it. Pheasant, grouse, quail...yum yum.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just came in from my front porch here in Georgetown, SC. It's a warm sunny day, birds are singing, cicadas periodically busting loose with their bizarre chirp, and looking around this quiet neighborhood, with the grand oaks ( I have six on my lot ), and the older homes, their large kept lawns with mature azalea bushes, and tall magnolia trees, I wonder if it will all be laid waste in five or six days by the approaching storm.

Our neighborhood lies one quarter mile from the Atlantic, elevation eight feet. Nothing to do for it, but the anxiety is beginning to ratchet up. Waiting. I don't wish Florence upon anyone else, but I am hoping it makes a turn. Currently, we are dead center of the predicted path. Good luck to you all.

Without looking at a map, sounds like where I want to retire!
Find me a 2 bedroom on 2 acres in an isolated area

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bear hides are so full of dirt, your knife is dull before you get them opened up. You seriously have to sharpen your knife several times before the hide is off. Their carcass looks creepily human, hanging there. I never ate an old bear, the three I harvested in Idaho were 2 or 3 years old. I don't recommend them because their meat is so greasy, and it kind of builds up on your teeth when eating it. Tastes OK, kind of sweet, but the grease put me off finally.

A friend of mine gave me some antelope one time. Tasted like sage brush, and I didn't like it. Pheasant, grouse, quail...yum yum.

Whiskey cuts the grease

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without looking at a map, sounds like where I want to retire!
Find me a 2 bedroom on 2 acres in an isolated area

Yeah Jeff, the isolated parts are outside the wire, hostile territory. This thing hits, there should be some vacant lots available here in town. I'm on 1 acre.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kray, was just watching the news, with Florence barreling towards the Eastern coastline. I'd already said a silent prayer for all y'all in the path of that b***h. We're expecting 3+inches here, aftermath of the hurricane that came up from the south. Hang on, hold tight, supply up and I hope it blows through with minimal consequences. Ddf.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't wish Florence upon anyone else, but I am hoping it makes a turn.

So you're hoping it turns to the north and wipes us out here in New England? Gee, thanks a lot! Just kidding.

Maybe you guys need to build a hurricane barrier. That's what we did in RI after Hurricane Carol's storm surge caused millions in damage in 1954.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Point_Hurricane_Barrier

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray, was just watching the news, with Florence barreling towards the Eastern coastline. I'd already said a silent prayer for all y'all in the path of that b***h. We're expecting 3+inches here, aftermath of the hurricane that came up from the south. Hang on, hold tight, supply up and I hope it blows through with minimal consequences. Ddf.

Thanks for that. Just checked the NHC site, it looks like they're curving it a bit north, I hope that trend continues. Just bought this place in January, and have been refurbishing since then. Would hate to see it under water. Ah well.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you're hoping it turns to the north and wipes us out here in New England? Gee, thanks a lot! Just kidding.

Maybe you guys need to build a hurricane barrier. That's what we did in RI after Hurricane Carol's storm surge caused millions in damage in 1954.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Point_Hurricane_Barrier

I'm hoping it curves all the way around out to sea. This country has seen enough storm damage for a while.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hang in there sir. My aunt is just up in Pawley's Island.

I had plans to head to Charleston, for a three day hunt, leaving from Charlotte Thursday at lunch! Doesn't look like that is going to happen after all. Dang.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're getting totally drenched up here in the Pennsylvania Wilds but it ain't nothing compared to a hurricane. Hope you guys are spared. September is the time of year when these big crazy storms come up the coast.
Be safe.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there sir. My aunt is just up in Pawley's Island.

I had plans to head to Charleston, for a three day hunt, leaving from Charlotte Thursday at lunch! Doesn't look like that is going to happen after all. Dang.

Good luck to you and your Aunt. Wilmington is now the predicted path. I hope the system in the Carib pushes north and moves the whole thing out to sea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread