Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree433Likes

Thread: MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    2084 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    In the famous words of Monty Python......”run away!” Seriously roughing out a storm if you have other options isn’t worth the risk. Grab the detector, road trip a bit and enjoy the time away. I rode out Isabella a small CAT One that came through Virginia years back being without power and trapped in the neighborhood for days due to fallen trees got old real quick.
    Nitric, huntsman53, Kace and 3 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    2630 times
    I think its CRAZY to stay in the path of a storm. I rode out two big storms in my life because i had too. The first one Super typhoon Pamela in 1976 on Guam took our roof with my family still inside. We waited for the eye to pass and then took shelter at our neighbors house next door. The back side of the storm was worse than the front. Then Typhoon Omar in 1992. Point is...if you have the means to get away from these storms your crazy not too! DON'T EVER TAKE A CHANCE!
    Dig till you drop!

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5009 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BLK HOLE View Post
    In the famous words of Monty Python......”run away!” Seriously roughing out a storm if you have other options isn’t worth the risk. Grab the detector, road trip a bit and enjoy the time away. I rode out Isabella a small CAT One that came through Virginia years back being without power and trapped in the neighborhood for days due to fallen trees got old real quick.
    Your right! Every winter our power here gets knocked out for hours and sometimes days because of the ice that Brings down trees. The first time it happens during the year your all excited and digging out the toys!! Flashlights and whatever is put away...A day later, or later through the winter your thinking...."Ughhh not again!! When are they going to put the power underground?"

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    2647 times
    Are you gonna be stuck in traffic tomorrow at 11:00AM?

I think I'd rather be in my own living room doing nothing but worrying about the storm than be stuck in traffic and worrying about the storm. Kinda risky though, maybe. Make sure you got a full tank of gas in the car and some emergency what nots.

How exactly is evacuation mandatory?
    Kray Gelder and Wrightdigger like this.
    Democracy as the core of government is generally favored by physically and mentally weak individuals who would rather identify themselves as a part of a group than as an individual and who are unwilling to compete in a free market because they see themseves incapable of succeeding in fair competition.

But, a group has no more God given Rights than any one individual. In God We Trust.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    2647 times

I think I'd rather be in my own living room doing nothing but worrying about the storm than be stuck in traffic and worrying about the storm. Kinda risky though, maybe. Make sure you got a full tank of gas in the car and some emergency what nots.

Kray Gelder likes this.
    Democracy as the core of government is generally favored by physically and mentally weak individuals who would rather identify themselves as a part of a group than as an individual and who are unwilling to compete in a free market because they see themseves incapable of succeeding in fair competition.

But, a group has no more God given Rights than any one individual. In God We Trust.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    13679 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, if this was still holding on a direct hit here, I wouldn't need to think about it. But hitting the edge of it, I think I'd rather stay to limit damage, if needed.
    18 ft. elevation? Tons of rain and potential surge?

If you can ensure potable water ,food and shelter and sanitation and medical attention if needed by your own hands for a couple weeks you could gamble and stay.

With my lucks history ,I'd have already been in Kentucky yesterday! And be quite willing to take the risk of not having had to evacuate.
    And I really dislike leaving home for long. I can hunker down for many things and have done so,but not a hurricane , and I'm not near any coast.

As a child I stood on a rebuilt pier destroyed by a hurricane. Even then questions of how a pier could be gripped ,and hydraulics effect on it were enough to convince me there was no place for me near a coast during such an events potential arrival ,surrounding weather events ,and aftermath....
    Admire them (coasts) when no storms are present though!
    Kace, huntsman53, flyadive and 3 others like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    NJ
    Whites
    1205 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I say ..... the weatherman/woman has been wrong 90 percent of the time here where I live in NJ and they will cry wolf just to keep you safe ! Although it will probably be a-dud , everyone does need to leave! Forget the Hurricane parties because they are deadly too! Not worth playing Russian roulette! Get out of Dodge!

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5100 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Another concern I would have are looters. If you leave Tuesday morning, that gives someone WAY too much time to ransack your home. They could break in Tuesday night and take their time emptying it out. No hurry, since they know you won't be back until Friday, at the earliest. If you stay until Wednesday afternoon, that would reduce the chance of someone robbing you blind. It could still happen, but making yourself highly visible on Wednesday would encourage looters to check your house off the list. Why bother with your place, when all your neighbors have left their homes ripe for the picking?

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9369 times
    Metal Detecting
    "Mandatory evacuation"

If you have to ask - leave.

Would I? Probably not. But then I chose high ground and can go long-term without electricity or indoor plumbing.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2732 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    Below is a link to Hurricanes that have affected the Gulf Coast of Alabama even though all but one did not make a direct hit but all did major damage and resulted in quite a few deaths.

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/index...ma_will_n.html

One of those that made a somewhat direct hit along the Alabama/Mississippi border was Frederic and below is a report about Frederic by the National Weather Service, my former employer.

https://www.weather.gov/mob/frederic
    They are fearsome things for sure.

Lying is now the norm. The truth is not only unwelcome, it is offensive.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2732 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post

Well, yeah. The mandatory thing kind of got me. The curfew is next. The guvmunt threw up a curfew last year during a storm. Everyone ignored it, police didn't try to enforce it.
    Wrightdigger and Kace like this.

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1499 times
    Hit the road Jack and don't come back 'til it's over.
    Marvin
    The Wife says that I'm lazy.
    I
    tell her that I'm conserving energy.
    Beep, Beep.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2732 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    18 ft. elevation? Tons of rain and potential surge?

If you can ensure potable water ,food and shelter and sanitation and medical attention if needed by your own hands for a couple weeks you could gamble and stay.

With my lucks history ,I'd have already been in Kentucky yesterday! And be quite willing to take the risk of not having had to evacuate.
    And I really dislike leaving home for long. I can hunker down for many things and have done so,but not a hurricane , and I'm not near any coast.

As a child I stood on a rebuilt pier destroyed by a hurricane. Even then questions of how a pier could be gripped ,and hydraulics effect on it were enough to convince me there was no place for me near a coast during such an events potential arrival ,surrounding weather events ,and aftermath....
    Admire them (coasts) when no storms are present though!
    No RC. 8 feet elevation. That's my conundrum.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    2732 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Another concern I would have are looters. If you leave Tuesday morning, that gives someone WAY too much time to ransack your home. They could break in Tuesday night and take their time emptying it out. No hurry, since they know you won't be back until Friday, at the earliest. If you stay until Wednesday afternoon, that would reduce the chance of someone robbing you blind. It could still happen, but making yourself highly visible on Wednesday would encourage looters to check your house off the list. Why bother with your place, when all your neighbors have left their homes ripe for the picking?
    Yep. Precisely.
    Wrightdigger and Kace like this.

us
    Detectorist

Apr 2018
    Iberville Parish, Louisiana
    Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max / Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    384 times
    Even if you are far enough inland to not be affected by storm surge, and even high winds, the torrential rainfall, flash flooding, and extended power outages all make it good enough reason to take a road trip.
    We weathered Gustav here bout 10 years ago, and we are 100 miles inland. Looked like a war zone here, had no power for 2 weeks.
    Safe your property, and get out. and for gods sake STAY OFF THE INTERSTATES at all costs..
    Backroads are the way to go, trust me on that.
    I rescued my aunt from New Orleans less than 24 hrs before her neighborhood was under 8ft of water for 2 weeks. She surely would have never made it, we got out that city on back roads in 2 hours while thousands languished on I-10 even with ContraFLow for days...
    Good Luck and Stay Safe..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links