MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S. Florida is already sending 80 Miami-Dade search & rescue teams,
FP&L (Florida Power & Light has dispatched 500 workers to stage in SC,
to be close so they can assists immediately after the storm passes.

https://www.local10.com/weather/hur...arolinas-ahead-of-hurricane-florences-arrival

No one will find motel rooms, be prepared for that. If you leave, you are going to see ppl sleeping in their cars along the service stops & in various parking lots (grocery store & walmarts lots), all along the way.
Take extra gas & gas cans, if you are able to, safely.
If you have relatives or friends homes, you can go to, all the better, (trust me).
If I was in Georgia, I'd tell you to come to our house there, but it's locked tight with no one near, atm.

We're having king tides in S. Fl, our local paper was saying.
The pull in the water is strong (yesterday, didn't go out today), but no where near as strong as it was when Sandy skirted by us. I tried to warn ppl up north when I felt that current pull, with Sandy....

I stayed in a custom built cedar hallway closet during Irma, for about 6-8 hrs.
If you stay & have a secure spot in the home, to ride it out, let SOMEONE know where your bunkering down at, so they'll know where to locate you, if they have to pull a house off the top of you.

Again: HIDE FROM THE WIND. RUN FROM THE WATER!

Stay safe all.... I'll leave this below here, also.....
thoughts on when you have to return, be prepared....
it's for the Keys evacuees returning last year, but much the same will apply....
Good Luck!

hurricanadvise.jpg

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure someone has said this, I haven't read the whole thread. I've been thinking about this thread and what I'd do in the same situation.....

Only you know what your experienced in and what you can handle, It's hard for anyone to answer the question. But if you have to ask? Then get the heck out of there and don't risk it! :laughing7: You may be experienced or have some type of training...If that's the case then you know what you can handle and when to go. :occasion14: I'm questioning that because of the question of the thread.:laughing7:

Either way, good luck in whatever you choose!!!

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cajun Navy has deployed, Entergy has deployed and other various helpers all heading to the Carolinas.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Write your name and birthdate and who to call with a permanent Sharpie somewhere on your body....Just in case you get hurt by hurricane or human.

Good Luck....Florence looks and sounds Wicked according to the news here.

Kace

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Write your name and birthdate and who to call with a permanent Sharpie somewhere on your body....Just in case you get hurt by hurricane or human.

Good Luck....Florence looks and sounds Wicked according to the news here.

Kace
That's a sad, but true, reality. It happens....

I imagine anyone in the path of this thing, got no time to be on the internet or computer, right now.

Know, many are praying for everyone, and help is real close by.
Just survive this thing, stay alive, & everyone will pitch in to get you all rebuilt!

God Bless you all....

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only posted this thread, to see what people think. I didn't NEED to ask it, Nitric. Still here. Have not seen anything in the forecast yet to make me leave. And Gare, no one is going to need to risk their life for me. We're probably going to get Cat. 1 winds, and we're on the left side of the storm. We are prepared for and have experienced extreme inconvenience before. The main reason I am not leaving is #1, not going to die. #2 I will be at the mercy of the state as to when I can return. #3 I will be here to plug holes, should they occur, and to protect property. As stated earlier, it depended on where and how strong. If I lived on the right side of the projected path, as in Wilmington, I would be gone.

The Guvnuh's order is understandable. I choose to regard it as a strong suggestion. He doesn't have any more information than I do, I'm at least as capable of analyzing the info, and I figure on making my own decision. Only one household in my neighborhood has gone. Thanks all for your input.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Although the NHC is forecasting a increase in intensity (winds) today and tonight and then a decrease probably early Thursday, the Hurricane has continued to have decreasing minimum central pressures which indicates strengthening. Also, with Florence crossing over Gulfstream currents probably Thursday afternoon into Friday, it is a good chance that she will increase in intensity due to the hotter waters of the Gulfstream. As we can see from the changes in the expected track/path of Florence, it is possible she may change course even further. Major Hurricanes and especially those that reach Category 5 can pretty much go where they want to go as they have created their own Macroscale environment and can over-power much of the Steering Winds. Hurricanes typically follow the path of the Steering Winds and seem to follow the Winds more so at the 700mb level but all levels of Winds from 850mb to 500mb need to be taken into account but as I stated, Major Hurricanes can and at many times in the past, have gone where they want, so that could happen with Florence. There are so many factors involved in trying to predict where a Hurricane will go that it is sometimes like shooting Craps (Dice). Anyone within 100 miles of the coast in South Carolina and North Carolina should have evacuated already inland well out of harms way and on higher ground away from rivers and streams because of the potential for Flash Flooding and Flooding.

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
It's foolish to entertain staying with winds that can rip your arms out of your sockets. Take a vacation at a hotel somewhere safe. Let your insurance company worry about your home.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The Cajun Navy has deployed, Entergy has deployed and other various helpers all heading to the Carolinas.

KCPL, Red Cross and other volunteers left out last night and today for the Carolinas....at least there's help standing by ahead of Florence to be there for folks from all over the country.

Kace

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another issue here why people need to stay there . Think about farmers who have livestock that need milked , Fed Cared for . Not everyone can leave . Horse farms also. I have a book called Horses of the satorm. it has all kinds of pictures of horses that were left in stalls and drowned

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I only posted this thread, to see what people think. I didn't NEED to ask it, Nitric. Still here. Have not seen anything in the forecast yet to make me leave. And Gare, no one is going to need to risk their life for me. We're probably going to get Cat. 1 winds, and we're on the left side of the storm. We are prepared for and have experienced extreme inconvenience before. The main reason I am not leaving is #1, not going to die. #2 I will be at the mercy of the state as to when I can return. #3 I will be here to plug holes, should they occur, and to protect property. As stated earlier, it depended on where and how strong. If I lived on the right side of the projected path, as in Wilmington, I would be gone.

The Guvnuh's order is understandable. I choose to regard it as a strong suggestion. He doesn't have any more information than I do, I'm at least as capable of analyzing the info, and I figure on making my own decision. Only one household in my neighborhood has gone. Thanks all for your input.

I respect your decision although I think it not wise! I hope you, your wife and neighbors come though the Hurricane okay and unscathed. There have been many that opted to stay in their' homes or in resort Hotels having Hurricane parties that did not make it and many of them have never been found to this day. If you stay through the totality of Florence and the damage done in its wake, please let us know how you felt about staying when it is all said and done (i.e. it was okay...would do it again or would not do it again in a million years). We have read other members experiences of riding it out during a Hurricane and would like to read your experience!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
KCPL, Red Cross and other volunteers left out last night and today for the Carolinas....at least there's help standing by ahead of Florence to be there for folks from all over the country.

Kace

Yep, yesterday there was a big contingent of Power Company workers from Chattanooga, Tennessee heading North on I-81 here and were probably enroute to Northern portions of North Carolina to hold on standby for deployment to where they are needed.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't know that. That's just the best guess so far and as failable as Mankind.

Be careful what you wager with.

I can assure you that I am struggling with this, as are others, many many 10's of thousands. "I don't know that" is a true statement. Here is what I DO know. I don't want anyone to make my forthcoming statement more than it is...When I have stated that outside the wire is hostile territory, it's not a joke. In my case, the "wire" is within a mile. This house will be looted if abandoned.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can assure you that I am struggling with this, as are others, many many 10's of thousands. "I don't know that" is a true statement. Here is what I DO know. I don't want anyone to make my forthcoming statement more than it is...When I have stated that outside the wire is hostile territory, it's not a joke. In my case, the "wire" is within a mile. This house will be looted if abandoned.

That is why I am pro-deployment of M18 Claymore Mines all the way around the perimeter of the property.:thumbsup::icon_biggrin:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
If the whole country knows my area is about to get its butt paddled by a giant hurricane.....

And the local gooberment say "Yall bettter git on outta here!!!!"

Well, I'd go.....duh

Unless of course, I've specifically prepared my entire existence for the impact of a hurricane......

In which case, I'd get a beer, give em the bird, sit on the picnic table, and watch the show till it was time to hide.

Same goes for forest fires and volcanoes too.

When the Earth says MOVE!!!.....I listen

ETA: I lived in a place my house would be looted.....so I moved.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread