Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree433Likes

Thread: MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    I only posted this thread, to see what people think. I didn't NEED to ask it, Nitric. Still here. Have not seen anything in the forecast yet to make me leave. And Gare, no one is going to need to risk their life for me. We're probably going to get Cat. 1 winds, and we're on the left side of the storm. We are prepared for and have experienced extreme inconvenience before. The main reason I am not leaving is #1, not going to die. #2 I will be at the mercy of the state as to when I can return. #3 I will be here to plug holes, should they occur, and to protect property. As stated earlier, it depended on where and how strong. If I lived on the right side of the projected path, as in Wilmington, I would be gone.

The Guvnuh's order is understandable. I choose to regard it as a strong suggestion. He doesn't have any more information than I do, I'm at least as capable of analyzing the info, and I figure on making my own decision. Only one household in my neighborhood has gone. Thanks all for your input.
    I respect your decision although I think it not wise! I hope you, your wife and neighbors come though the Hurricane okay and unscathed. There have been many that opted to stay in their' homes or in resort Hotels having Hurricane parties that did not make it and many of them have never been found to this day. If you stay through the totality of Florence and the damage done in its wake, please let us know how you felt about staying when it is all said and done (i.e. it was okay...would do it again or would not do it again in a million years). We have read other members experiences of riding it out during a Hurricane and would like to read your experience!
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    KCPL, Red Cross and other volunteers left out last night and today for the Carolinas....at least there's help standing by ahead of Florence to be there for folks from all over the country.

Kace
    Yep, yesterday there was a big contingent of Power Company workers from Chattanooga, Tennessee heading North on I-81 here and were probably enroute to Northern portions of North Carolina to hold on standby for deployment to where they are needed.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3124 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    You don't know that. That's just the best guess so far and as failable as Mankind.

Be careful what you wager with.
    I can assure you that I am struggling with this, as are others, many many 10's of thousands. "I don't know that" is a true statement. Here is what I DO know. I don't want anyone to make my forthcoming statement more than it is...When I have stated that outside the wire is hostile territory, it's not a joke. In my case, the "wire" is within a mile. This house will be looted if abandoned.
    huntsman53 and Kace like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5121 times
    I can assure you that I am struggling with this, as are others, many many 10's of thousands. "I don't know that" is a true statement. Here is what I DO know. I don't want anyone to make my forthcoming statement more than it is...When I have stated that outside the wire is hostile territory, it's not a joke. In my case, the "wire" is within a mile. This house will be looted if abandoned.
    That is why I am pro-deployment of M18 Claymore Mines all the way around the perimeter of the property.
    Kray Gelder and T.C. like this.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby
    148 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    If the whole country knows my area is about to get its butt paddled by a giant hurricane.....

And the local gooberment say "Yall bettter git on outta here!!!!"

Well, I'd go.....duh

Unless of course, I've specifically prepared my entire existence for the impact of a hurricane......

In which case, I'd get a beer, give em the bird, sit on the picnic table, and watch the show till it was time to hide.

Same goes for forest fires and volcanoes too.

When the Earth says MOVE!!!.....I listen

ETA: I lived in a place my house would be looted.....so I moved.
    Last edited by A#1; Sep 12, 2018 at 04:24 PM.
    SusanMN and Kray Gelder like this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    13991 times
    While the hurricane approaches.....A different type of natural fury.
    Remember this guy? He stayed.
    Harry Randall Truman, 83, became somewhat of a folk hero in the weeks leading up to the eruption after he refused to vacate his home near Mount St. Helens despite being urged to leave by officials.May 17, 2015
    He lived near the base of the mountain where it blew out. Still buried there somewhere probably...

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27814 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The path can change in a heart beat and you could be in the middle of it. Cat 3,4 or 5 is nothing to play with.
    Kray Gelder and Kace like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5150 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I would never evacuate to avoid a hurricane, but I live 30 miles from the ocean in a town that's 440 feet above sea level. Your town is listed as 18 feet above sea level and you're a stone's throw from the ocean. The storm surge could easily submerge your home. Remember all those people stranded on the roof of their homes after Katrina? That could be you!

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/...ource=wweather
    Kray Gelder and Kace like this.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    3317 times
    Kray, I faced a similar decision with irma last year.....never posted a question like you have, but after reading through this thread, I am glad I didn't. stay safe in what YOU decide....but decide soon.
    Kray Gelder, Kace and Ogre1190 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3124 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    While the hurricane approaches.....A different type of natural fury.
    Remember this guy? He stayed.
    Harry Randall Truman, 83, became somewhat of a folk hero in the weeks leading up to the eruption after he refused to vacate his home near Mount St. Helens despite being urged to leave by officials.May 17, 2015
    He lived near the base of the mountain where it blew out. Still buried there somewhere probably...

Sure I remember Harry! He went out with style. That guy's not me though. We lived in Sandpoint, Idaho when St. Helens blew. We got only a dusting of ash there. My folks lived in Yakima, Wa. and day turned to night there with the ash. They got close to 6 inches.

I'm out of the lethal zone for this storm, at the latest. At least half of this town is still here. Two of my neighbors are leaving. I'm far more worried for those folks near the coast in NC.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3124 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by A#1 View Post
    If the whole country knows my area is about to get its butt paddled by a giant hurricane.....

And the local gooberment say "Yall bettter git on outta here!!!!"

Well, I'd go.....duh

Unless of course, I've specifically prepared my entire existence for the impact of a hurricane......

In which case, I'd get a beer, give em the bird, sit on the picnic table, and watch the show till it was time to hide.

Same goes for forest fires and volcanoes too.

When the Earth says MOVE!!!.....I listen

ETA: I lived in a place my house would be looted.....so I moved.
    Here in the great state of South Carolina, all of it is a bunch of outposts, surrounded by criminals. Now I'm not saying this about all folks living out in the beautiful countryside. But those law abiding citizens living there, know exactly what I'm saying. Anything not secured, or even stored in a locked outbuilding even, is fair game. Thieves. Turn your back on a bike, or lawn mower, or park your boat in the yard for just a few hours after returning, the bike and mower are gone, as are your motor and tank. 90 per cent of the bicycles in the previous town I lived in for 9 years were spray painted black. 2 of them were mine. Impulse thefts and planned multi-perp jobs. Thieves all. I would move from this state in a heartbeat, if not for family.
    Nitric and Kace like this.

Mar 2016
    1522 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    I would never evacuate to avoid a hurricane, but I live 30 miles from the ocean in a town that's 440 feet above sea level. Your town is listed as 18 feet above sea level and you're a stone's throw from the ocean. The storm surge could easily submerge your home. Remember all those people stranded on the roof of their homes after Katrina? That could be you!

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/...ource=wweather
    Might need a chainsaw to get to roof. Id be building wood racks to elevate a bunch of stuff. Maybe plywood to support stuff in ceiling rafters?
    Kray Gelder likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5313 times
    Here in the great state of South Carolina, all of it is a bunch of outposts, surrounded by criminals. Now I'm not saying this about all folks living out in the beautiful countryside. But those law abiding citizens living there, know exactly what I'm saying. Anything not secured, or even stored in a locked outbuilding even, is fair game. Thieves. Turn your back on a bike, or lawn mower, or park your boat in the yard for just a few hours after returning, the bike and mower are gone, as are your motor and tank. 90 per cent of the bicycles in the previous town I lived in for 9 years were spray painted black. 2 of them were mine. Impulse thefts and planned multi-perp jobs. Thieves all. I would move from this state in a heartbeat, if not for family.
    This is true for most anywhere....It's just in different forms....If it's not crack heads? It's meth heads! Etc....And some of your wealthy neighborhoods? Some people in there are the same. I'm not sure you could name me a place on the East coast that is any different. The only reason I say "east coast" is because That's where I've had the most experience traveling and working.

When things like this happen? Criminal type thinking will move in from states away. Not as bad as we all think but is a reality. None of your possessions are worth your life. or chancing it. Sometimes it gives you something to do later.....Track down who stole your stuff! That can be fun too!! Yes! I'm a sicko!!
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3124 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Might need a chainsaw to get to roof. I’d be building wood racks to elevate a bunch of stuff. Maybe plywood to support stuff in ceiling rafters?
    Thanks all for the good suggestions. These have been my considerations as well. The surge is my primary concern. Unless something radically changes, I don't believe that is a threat at this time. I do have a way through the roof, but it's not happening here.
    Nitric likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3124 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    This is true for most anywhere....It's just in different forms....If it's not crack heads? It's meth heads! Etc....And some of your wealthy neighborhoods? Some people in there are the same. I'm not sure you could name me a place on the East coast that is any different. The only reason I say "east coast" is because That's where I've had the most experience traveling and working.

When things like this happen? Criminal type thinking will move in from states away. Not as bad as we all think but is a reality. None of your possessions are worth your life. or chancing it. Sometimes it gives you something to do later.....Track down who stole your stuff! That can be fun too!! Yes! I'm a sicko!!
    Not risking my life at this time. Tomorrow will be the same. Thanks. Just got a text. With Alarm. Emergency! Leave your zone now! They know, with cell phones, who OBEYED, and who didn't.
    Last edited by Kray Gelder; Sep 12, 2018 at 08:11 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links