MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Heart to Heart left out of KC this morning. They're staging in Tennessee with supplies and different medicines folks might need like insulin.

Prayers Your Way Kray! Keep Us Posted...Keep Your Powder Dry and Above All Stay Safe!

Kace

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray, there has been a lot of good advice given here. First and foremost like already said, Prayers for you and your family and to all who live along the coastline in the path of Florence. It is sometimes easier to say what you would or wouldn't do in a case such as this. The things that I would heavily consider is the fact that this storm is an act of mother nature and like fire fire, it has no mind in which to think, and no conscious. This monster storm just reacts to the environment around it and in its path. No one can second guess what Florence will do or what it won't do, where it will track once it makes land fall, or how long it may stall out in certain areas causing severe flooding or damage. With all the technology we have today, it is still uncertain just where this storm may track. Projections are great, but not a certainty. Take all into account. Don't get caught in the last minute wanting to leave but not being able to. With the mass evacuations there will be little gas left along the evacuation routes. Play it safe. Like already said, you are well thought of here and we enjoy reading your posts. God's Speed to you and your family and to the countless others.

Lot's of good advice! Don't anyone think I haven't considered all of it. Thanks for the kind words, all of the points you make are true. Been weighing it all. I am at 99% stay right now.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck to ya. I'll be watching from Greensboro NC. As a contract worker I live in motels and this one, just like all the others I've seen during disasters, is filling up fast.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be staying if I were there to detect the fresh stuff that comes up as a result.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping Grey Kelder is ok and can let us know so, when able...
Or anyone else that may be caught up in this mess....

We're Praying & wishing everyone the best & safety....

Oh, eta: A coffee carafe can help save generator gas. Make your pot of coffee, pour the coffee in the carafe, no need to keep the coffee pot plugged up. My carafe would keep coffee hot for 8 hours.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whole lot of brave people prior to the storm, and now emergency personnel must risk their own lives to get these people out.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-09-14-new-bern-north-carolina-rescues-neuse-river

I have no problem with people choosing to stay. And you would never be able to sort it out. But if you had the option to leave and you chose to stay? There should be no 911 help for you. Just saying... That should be a given with that choice to stay.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whole lot of brave people prior to the storm, and now emergency personnel must risk their own lives to get these people out.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-09-14-new-bern-north-carolina-rescues-neuse-river

I don’t think that’s really a fair assessment of the situation.
You are almost making the assumption that those being rescued are in that situation by choice.
It is not quite as black and white as you make it out to be.

I would guarantee there are more than 200 people in a single metro city that have no means to leave. Think about the people that walk around town with their belongings in a shopping cart, and elderly/disabled/bedridden that have no family.
Not everyone can just jump in the family car and head out of town or even get on a bus.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think that’s really a fair assessment of the situation.
You are almost making the assumption that those being rescued are in that situation by choice.
It is not quite as black and white as you make it out to be.

I would guarantee there are more than 200 people in a single metro city that have no means to leave. Think about the people that walk around town with their belongings in a shopping cart, and elderly/disabled/bedridden that have no family.
Not everyone can just jump in the family car and head out of town or even get on a bus.

You make a good point! ...I'm guessing and I may be wrong, that he was directing that more to us in the thread that said"I'd probably stay!!" ....That's the way I took it anyhow.. And if I didn't have my wife and child, or in my younger years would have had to stay just for the experience or adventure of it.:laughing7:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

That's So True...They were just talking about that on the news, but they showed shelters set up for those without the means to travel or stay for an extended period in a hotel/motel. I don't know if the shelters take pets... I wouldn't leave mine that's for sure.

I pray to God that those that chose to stay made the right decision... and also that there are not any emergency responders killed trying to rescue those that chose to stay.

One thing I don't understand is every time there is a Hurricane somewhere, many, many people are at Home Depot or somewhere buying plywood and screws to cover their windows and doors to the point lumber places run out. If they live in a hurricane prone area, can that stuff not be reused when the next one comes along? The houses I've rented or stayed at friends places on vacation that are close to beaches have secure, locking, retractable hurricane shutters on windows and doors. I have no idea what those cost to have... maybe they are cost prohibitive for a lot of folks.

Just something I've wondered about.

Prayers to everyone in those areas.

Kace

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Weather Channel coverage of hurricanes has gotten absolutely stupid. I remember many years ago when they had some semblance of integrity and were at least slightly interested in keeping their viewers safe by giving relevant information regarding which areas were dangerous and which areas were safe and out of harms way. Now all they do is spew doom-and-gloom the entire time while these idiot broadcasters babble on while standing in the rain and wind trying to look dramatic. "There is NO safe place within 200 miles of ME!"..."Yeah, the hurricane is diminishing and winds are decreasing BUT, BUT it could turn around ANY MINUTE and wipe out the entire city!!!" They sound like fools most of the time just filling air with BS trying to keep viewers.

I live in Louisiana and have been through a few hurricanes. These "meteorologists" couldn't give a damn about the local population...they just try and get a good shot. I swear I wouldn't mind see a piece of flying debris teach one of these goofballs a lesson. "Don't go outside, it's dangerous! (read - stay inside and watch our channel)". Yet these idiots are doing exactly what they recommend you don't do. Jim Cantore was wearing a baseball batting helmet for God's sake. Jeez...

Sorry, just had to vent...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm late on this post and hope you ain't been blown away. Main thing is think of family and do what's right for them and keep them safe. Me and you both are alike in that we could sit there and watch tornadoes swoop down or hurricanes roll in and enjoy the show with no problem, but get the family safe first. That is a thing to think about on exposing the first responders to more risk because you decided to stay these days, though. They got enough to do. Hope you guys are ok, hope everybody down there comes out ok.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to get too off topic, but this business of putting first responders in danger is a little over the top. If you want to recognize first responders as heroes, that fine. Some of them are heroes. But first responders ain't obligated to do stupid wreckess stunts in an effort to save lives. They have no legal obligation to help anyone.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hoping Grey Kelder is ok and can let us know so, when able...
Or anyone else that may be caught up in this mess....

We're Praying & wishing everyone the best & safety....

Oh, eta: A coffee carafe can help save generator gas. Make your pot of coffee, pour the coffee in the carafe, no need to keep the coffee pot plugged up. My carafe would keep coffee hot for 8 hours.

We're fine, we're still here, we still have power, the worst of it is on us now, and the wind is 40 or so would be my guess. It might ramp up a bit over the next couple of hours, but we're good here. Not so much in NC.

By the way, thanks for all the comments and support.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
We're fine, we're still here, we still have power, the worst of it is on us now, and the wind is 40 or so would be my guess. It might ramp up a bit over the next couple of hours, but we're good here. Not so much in NC.

By the way, thanks for all the comments and support.

Good to hear! Thanks for checking in!

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to hear! Thanks for checking in!

We're on the going away side now. The wind shifted from out of the west to southwest in the last hour or so. Now for some heavy rain, nothing like the good folks of NC have been receiving.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I would go to the beach so I could be the first to detect the sand as it is thrown upon the road.

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I would go to the beach so I could be the first to detect the sand as it is thrown upon the road.

The beaches here in swansboro and Emerald Isle are closed. I don’t even think the bridges have reopened yet and if the are you have to have proof of local residency and your town issued reentry pass to get back on. It keeps the looters and sight seers out and gives the first responders the chance the do their work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread