MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Ya'll. Our Guvnuh, McMaster, has ordered a MANDATORY evacuation of ALL evacuation areas on or near the state coast. And must begin evacuation NO LATER than 11 AM tomorrow, Tuesday.

I am in Georgetown SC, and it looks like this hurricane is just going to brush us with 70+ mph winds or so. Envisioning this scenario, playing it out three or more days, with half of the state's population, seems like a fate worse than just being without power.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you are safe, whichever way you choose to go. I can imagine what a tough call that is to make. My humble prayers will include you and all the great folks in SC.
dts

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leave, they don't know exactly where its going to hit until its too late to leave.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of all the people who have got killed by hurricanes not one of them thought they were going to be killed. I say go We like your posts and want to see many more...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think for family or friends sake I would go.Hurricanes will bite you big time. Be safe.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road trip! I HATE storms, and I HATE tropical storms more than white outs in the winter. Go, you'll have plenty of stories to tell next year. Stay, and next year may come without you.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry and leave for a few days! Even if it turns further Northward and spares Georgetown from the strongest winds, there is a great likelihood that a combined storm surge and high tides will raise water levels in the Winyah Bay to record levels and could cause major flooding. Combined that with the threat of flooding rainfall, Tornadoes and snakes washed further inland, it can spell disaster for many even if not in the direct path of the Hurricane. I don't write this lightly as I was a Meteorological Technician and then a Hydrological-Meteorological Technician with the National Weather Service for almost 33 years and worked through quite a few Tropical Storms and Hurricanes and/or the after effects from their remnants.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were told to evacuate 2 1/2 days before the hurricane arrives, I'd tell them to forget it. Why on earth would you have to evacuate that many days before a storm? I see nothing wrong with waiting until Wednesday morning. Just my take on it.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I truly appreciate everyone's input. Votes are leaning heavily to go. Free Bird, your reaction is my reaction. If it's still swinging north into poor North Carolina tomorrow, I'm thinking stay. My Wife has somewhere to go.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If I were told to evacuate 2 1/2 days before the hurricane arrives, I'd tell them to forget it. Why on earth would you have to evacuate that many days before a storm? I see nothing wrong with waiting until Wednesday morning. Just my take on it.

They are advising this to try to avoid any major traffic jam/backup which could strand some evacuees/motorists in harms way. The Governor actually should have ordered a scheduled orderly evacuation with those in the highest risk area evacuating first then have evacuees say 25 to 35 miles further inland leaving an hour later, then the next evacuees another 25 to 35 miles further inland leaving an hour later and so on and so on. This won't guarantee that traffic jams will not occur and hold up the evacuation but it will somewhat alleviate mass histeria.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya....I'm mixed on this type of subject.....If you want to play it safe? Go! There is nothing worth your life. But on the flip side not sure what I'd do either. With my Son and wife to worry about? I'd have to go. If it was just me? I'd have to stay and ride it out.:laughing7: So....I'm not much help!!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kray....Whatever you decide, my prayers are with you and everyone dealing with this. I'd have a hard time leaving my home unless I felt it was imminent like Katrina in New Orleans. That, I do not get why those folks stayed. The meteorologist poster is who I'd talk to for an educated opinion.

I've only been on the fringe of one hurricane while traveling through Florida...That wasn't too fun.

Now, Tornadoes and Severe Ice Storms I Have a Healthy Respect For...Safe Room Stocked With Supplies and a Big Generator! lol!

Best Wishes To You Kray

Kace

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray....Whatever you decide, my prayers are with you and everyone dealing with this. I'd have a hard time leaving my home unless I felt it was imminent like Katrina in New Orleans. That, I do not get why those folks stayed. The meteorologist poster is who I'd talk to for an educated opinion.

I've only been on the fringe of one hurricane while traveling through Florida...That wasn't too fun.

Now, Tornadoes and Severe Ice Storms I Have a Healthy Respect For...Safe Room Stocked With Supplies and a Big Generator! lol!

Best Wishes To You Kray

Kace

Thanks. Yeah, if this was still holding on a direct hit here, I wouldn't need to think about it. But hitting the edge of it, I think I'd rather stay to limit damage, if needed.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the famous words of Monty Python......”run away!” Seriously roughing out a storm if you have other options isn’t worth the risk. Grab the detector, road trip a bit and enjoy the time away. I rode out Isabella a small CAT One that came through Virginia years back being without power and trapped in the neighborhood for days due to fallen trees got old real quick.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its CRAZY to stay in the path of a storm. I rode out two big storms in my life because i had too. The first one Super typhoon Pamela in 1976 on Guam took our roof with my family still inside. We waited for the eye to pass and then took shelter at our neighbors house next door. The back side of the storm was worse than the front. Then Typhoon Omar in 1992. Point is...if you have the means to get away from these storms your crazy not too! DON'T EVER TAKE A CHANCE!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the famous words of Monty Python......”run away!” Seriously roughing out a storm if you have other options isn’t worth the risk. Grab the detector, road trip a bit and enjoy the time away. I rode out Isabella a small CAT One that came through Virginia years back being without power and trapped in the neighborhood for days due to fallen trees got old real quick.

Your right! Every winter our power here gets knocked out for hours and sometimes days because of the ice that Brings down trees. The first time it happens during the year your all excited and digging out the toys!! Flashlights and whatever is put away...A day later, or later through the winter your thinking...."Ughhh not again!! When are they going to put the power underground?":laughing7:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you gonna be stuck in traffic tomorrow at 11:00AM?

I think I'd rather be in my own living room doing nothing but worrying about the storm than be stuck in traffic and worrying about the storm. Kinda risky though, maybe. Make sure you got a full tank of gas in the car and some emergency what nots.

How exactly is evacuation mandatory?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you gonna be stuck in traffic tomorrow at 11:00AM?

I think I'd rather be in my own living room doing nothing but worrying about the storm than be stuck in traffic and worrying about the storm. Kinda risky though, maybe. Make sure you got a full tank of gas in the car and some emergency what nots.

How exactly is evacuation mandatory?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread