Anyone Using Drones To Hone In On A Detecting Spot?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for something to talk about.:laughing7:

I set the detector aside a while back and have only gotten it out a couple times here and there. In that time I got into drones, the Phantom 3 Pro, to be specific. I hated the idea of drones until I started playing with them, but I still have some issues with how some are using them, that's a whole other topic.

I was able to buy a few wrecks off of Ebay, fix them, then sell them back on Ebay or their parts to get a stock pile of batteries, and the 4 that I have now for free basically minus the labor.

Also, while playing in the drone forums I saw a couple of names on a few posts from here that I recognized, one was from the prospecting forums. I see how they would be useful for prospecting. I also wonder if anyone is using them for fine tuning their detecting spots? I can get better pics than google Earth, and can cover a lot of wooded brushy area from the air rather than going on foot.

I haven't used one yet to find a detecting spot but have a place in mind. I'm planning on digging out the detector and setting to the air in an area to see if I can find a good potential spot before walking in and trying to navigate through a half mile of brush.(ok that may be stretching it...it may only be a 100feet of brush.):laughing7:

Anyone doing this? I can hover and get GPS cood even. along with video and pics to look at closer later.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One hint when trying to find places to hunt have someone with you to watch the drone.When you ARE watching the screen the other person can view the drone and warn you of trees and power lines and even BIRDS !!! Trust me they are expensive to crash :(
I have a Phantom 3 pro and a Phantom 4 left

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nitric...I detect a lot in the country and around lakes and some old buildings/structures so I do use a drone to look around not only for good sites and ruins but for any people that could be around. I don't use it in town at all... too much trouble with that.

I also use a water proof go pro mounted on a remote controlled truck inside buildings/structures and cellars...for snakes. Before I go in... I can also put it on a probe to look behind walls or floorboards.

Kace

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric...I detect a lot in the country and around lakes and some old buildings/structures so I do use a drone to look around not only for good sites and ruins but for any people that could be around. I don't use it in town at all... too much trouble with that.

I also use a water proof go pro mounted on a remote controlled truck inside buildings/structures and cellars...for snakes. Before I go in... I can also put it on a probe to look behind walls or floorboards.

Kace

Hey!!! That's a good Idea!! I have some old RC trucks. I never even thought about sticking the gopro on one.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One hint when trying to find places to hunt have someone with you to watch the drone.When you ARE watching the screen the other person can view the drone and warn you of trees and power lines and even BIRDS !!! Trust me they are expensive to crash :(
I have a Phantom 3 pro and a Phantom 4 left

I was up there earlier in the summer. It wouldn't even take off because I was too close to the airport. I'll bet that area has some cool views from the sky!! Especially around the old factories, strip mines , and other historic areas.

I got lucky and found complete factory shell kits for $25. I bought what he had. That's how I was able to rebuild wrecks cheap. But that was a rare case running into the shells that cheap.Then I got lucky and ran into a lot of 5 good gimbals that just needed adjusted(Chicken dance), cheap....They can get expensive to fix!!! If I had to buy one new, batteries, etc..I would have no way been able to afford it, so I had to get creative and do some juggling, to get the ones I have left. Fun to play with!!

Last edited:

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I've used a drone looking for hunting spots on beaches and nude beaches are the best hunting spots with a drone. Really good metal detecting hunting spots in the woods can't be seen with my drone because of the forest canopy so I still have to go in on foot to find them.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I've used a drone looking for hunting spots on beaches and nude beaches are the best hunting spots with a drone. Really good metal detecting hunting spots in the woods can't be seen with my drone because of the forest canopy so I still have to go in on foot to find them.

I didn't even think of the canopy when I posted....Your right! Maybe the fall or winter would be better times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread