Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s frustrating for sure! I’d hate to lose a permission because of bunch of squirrels, there’s a civil war fort about 60’ from his property line!

Inform the property owner that you all fill your holes but something is digging them back out. I am sure they will understand, especially if they see you fill the holes back in, then later they are dug back out. As I stated, Pine Sol should do the trick but if not, then try the Cayenne Pepper or other Pepper as Jeff of Pa suggested. I would also bet that Wolf or Cougar Urine would keep just about anything away from the filled holes but I am not sure how hard it is to obtain.

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inform the property owner that you all fill your holes but something is digging them back out. I am sure they will understand, especially if they see you fill the holes back in, then later they are dug back out. As I stated, Pine Sol should do the trick but if not, then try the Cayenne Pepper or other Pepper as Jeff of Pa suggested. I would also bet that Wolf or Cougar Urine would keep just about anything away from the filled holes but I am not sure how hard it is to obtain.
thanks for the suggestion, I’m going to try the pepper

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that it is a wild Grumble of Pugs. They're just strange that way. They probably think you are burying biscuts there.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine ground Cheyenne pepper is very effective for deterring animals but does not work on birds. I use it to keep squirrels out of the garden and dogs from digging under the fence. You have to re-apply it after rains or watering. Does not work on birds as they have no reaction to its active ingredient capsicum.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh dug holes make great hiding spots for squirrels to stash nuts and corn.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunks have pulled out or redug my plugs looking for grubs or worms in my back yard.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neck of the woods, these are my usual suspects, lol. :laughing7: IMG_20180705_140852.jpg IMG_20180919_082645.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180705_140852.jpg
    IMG_20180705_140852.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 51

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha this answers my question on this. One time the cops were called because the neighbors thought I was burying something in the park. I explained to the officer that it appeared this way to the caller because I spend time carefully putting the plugs back and tamping them down so the ground is restored to the way I found it. He was cool wtih it and when I came back the next week all the plugs were pulled up. I figured the caller had wanted to see what was buried and moved them all and left them willy nilly to make me look bad or just because they didn't care. This makes a lot of sense even though its the inner city there are tons of critters at night. Hot pepper here we come.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha this answers my question on this. One time the cops were called because the neighbors thought I was burying something in the park. I explained to the officer that it appeared this way to the caller because I spend time carefully putting the plugs back and tamping them down so the ground is restored to the way I found it. He was cool wtih it and when I came back the next week all the plugs were pulled up. I figured the caller had wanted to see what was buried and moved them all and left them willy nilly to make me look bad or just because they didn't care. This makes a lot of sense even though its the inner city there are tons of critters at night. Hot pepper here we come.
Had they recently mowed?

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the exact same thing happen to me at a well groomed permission - Put up a trail camera and it was armadillo - then I remembered almost every hole I dug had grubs - my bet is armadillo

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the exact same thing happen to me at a well groomed permission - Put up a trail camera and it was armadillo - then I remembered almost every hole I dug had grubs - my bet is armadillo
Funny you mention grubs, I’ve seen a TON of them out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread