What’s re-digging my holes?!?

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself and a couple detecting friends have a really good permission near me where a small civil war skirmish happened. The property has s beautiful so we’re always really careful to cover our holes. Last time we were out there I saw hole uncovered and thought “that’s weird, we don’t leave open holes” and promptly covered it. Yesterday we arrive out there to find that same hole uncovered again. After swinging for an hour or so I found countless holes that were uncovered. Is there an animal that does this? I thought maybe an armadillo but not sure. Anybody else ever have this problem?

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself and a couple detecting friends have a really good permission near me where a small civil war skirmish happened. The property has s beautiful so we’re always really careful to cover our holes. Last time we were out there I saw hole uncovered and thought “that’s weird, we don’t leave open holes” and promptly covered it. Yesterday we arrive out there to find that same hole uncovered again. After swinging for an hour or so I found countless holes that were uncovered. Is there an animal that does this? I thought maybe an armadillo but not sure. Anybody else ever have this problem?
Yep and it was a fox. Two different places and both places were trapped and foxes galore were caught.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have not. You may have company trying to foul your premission. Just wondering. Are the plugs completely out of the hole?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've had A fox steal my golf ball before when we got on the green but I've never heard of one opening a plug. :BangHead:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are several different Animals blamed for this.
I wonder if Birds do it also.
Last place I Hunted there was a Grub in almost every Hole I dug.
Birds, Would Feel those Grubs under their feet, Once I leave the Place,
and they move back in.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of animals would do this, possum being one

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on another note, this is just a another reason I dig larger deeper plugs, too heavy for the animal to easily pull up. Not to mention that the grass is much less likely to die, and it is easier to fit back and make it like you were never there, and you rarely ever damage a relic or coin.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if there is Something Universally repugnant to all Birds & animals,
that would mask the Smell we Leave, that makes them want to re-dig the holes.
like perhaps try Sprinkling cayenne Pepper or Garlic on each spot after closing the Hole.
and see if it Drives the Culprit around the Spots. :dontknow:
of course My Luck there is something out there That Loves the Smell of Pepper.
and Garlic may only work with Vampires :(

Skunks have also been Blamed for Re-Digging Holes.

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a skunk re-open a hole i dug in my backyard 2 evenings ago...

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squirrels have a tendency to check freshly dug holes.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Many animals will re-open holes as they think something good has been buried in the hole and the smell of freshly turned earth attracts them. Carry a spray bottle of Pine Sol and after covering your holes, spray a little bit on and around the hole. That will deter any animals from digging out your covered holes.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this online

Cayenne Pepper. Sprinkle cayenne pepper on the ground in areas of noted raccoon activity. Capsaicin, the substance that makes hot peppers hot, deters all types of mammals. So using it as a raccoon repellent also keeps squirrels away.

could be a pain to Sprinkle Pepper every time you fill a Hole though may be worth a Try.
Looking now to see prices on Ebay for large spice Containers of it

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many animals will re-open holes as they think something good has been buried in the hole and the smell of freshly turned earth attracts them. Carry a spray bottle of Pine Sol and after covering your holes, spray a little bit on and around the hole. That will deter any animals from digging out your covered holes.

Yep, fresh earth might mean food to a critter.

When I plant my garden in the spring the chipmunks will dig out half the starts and every morning I go back out and bury them again. They don't eat the roots or anything, they just toss the plant to the side. Usually takes a week or two of them unplanting and me replanting for the chipmunks to give up on it.

Goof idea on the pepper trick Huntsman. I'll have to try that.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squirrels have a tendency to check freshly dug holes.

I have watched squirrels go into holes I have dug right in front of me. They must think im hiding food or something.

But yes, Squirrels are notorious for that

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
well i think it might be my dog.she loves to redig my holes.so before i leave i have to check.
brad

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. The spot has been weeks without any good rain so there isn’t much of a plug because it just crumbles. My guess is the problem would t be as bad if we could just get some rain.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunks, possum, fox, coyote, raccoon, squirrel, feral cats are a few animals that will check out a fresh dug hole .Sometimes it is because of the smell of fresh dirt ,others because they think there is something to eat in the hole .

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you what happened to me. I had permission to dig up a huge lawn on a mid 1800's former farm house with businesses that operated on the property. It produced a few copper and silver coins for me. The old lady that owns the place is sort of into history so was quite happy to have me digging there. She eventually bought a metal detector of her own and found no coins but she did find a pretty nice broad axe. Anyway on my first trip there the ground was a bit dry but I got a lot of holes dug and filled back in although not perfect they would look ok after the first rain. Next time I saw her she told me every hole I dug was completely dug up. Luckily she is not the sort to care about stuff like that. Anyway it was a family of raccoons. She lives on a river and they were exploring the fields looking for food. A family of raccoons can dig up a lot of holes in a night.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skunks and Squirrels do it around here. Constantly! 😠

Top Member Reactions