Ginseng hunt ended with me almost getting Rattlesnake bit.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I applied for the drawing to be able to obtain a Ginseng Harvesting Permit and hunt Ginseng in one section of the National Forest nearest me and was successful. Last week, I went and got the Permit which cost me $20 and the Season started Sunday, the 16th and runs through the 30th. However, due to Florence, the weather did not cooperate until around mid-morning today. Well, I drove the 60 miles and hunted a couple of hollows that run together where I have been keeping an eye on a lot of Ginseng since the previous open season for the same section. When I first found the spot which is around 3,500 feet in elevation and about a mile from where I have to park for access, I only found around 60 Ginseng plants but the very next year while checking up on the Ginseng, I found over 160 plants. It is well known that some Ginseng plants do not come up every year and some will go dormant for long periods if there is a forest fire, drought, possibly if there is way too much rain and also due to heavy logging. Well, I was trying to only dig 4 prong which should have the bigger roots but ended up having to dig mature 3 prong plants as well and came out with 21 roots of the allotted 25 roots allowed. Of course, I also bring out the Ginseng tops (plants themselves) to make Ginseng tea for our own use. Sorry for being long winded and I promise to hurry up and finish. Well, on the way into the area where I hunted the Ginseng, I spied what I thought was a bunch of Chanterelle Mushrooms growing at the base of and around a dead tree some 40 yards below the old logging road. On my way out late this afternoon, I negotiated the steep grade below the logging road, harvested the mushrooms but found out later that they are False Chanterelles. Being too steep to climb back up and not task my bad back which was hurting tremendously, I opted to continue down to the bottom of the ridge and walk out to the main access road. When I got down to the flat close to a creek, I had to step over and go under some limbs from large tree limbs that were downed recently. While trying to get through the last of the limbs and after having tossed my' Ginseng Digger (a cut down mattock) on the other side of the limbs, I caught some movement and heard a rattle. Yep, it was a big 3 1/2 to 4 foot long Timber Rattler which was less than 6 feet from me when I saw it. It's head and the first foot or so of it's length was only about 2 inches in diameter but from it's abdomen back to near it's tail, it was nearly 4 inches in diameter, so it had been eating well. It's tail or rattles appeared to be 5 inches long but that section was so dark, it was really hard to tell. I reared back when I first saw it and watched as it slowly moved slightly to the right and away from me but it kept stopping. I shook the limbs in front of me and lightly stomped the ones laying on the ground in hopes it would keep the rattlesnake moving and it did. However, once out of the limbs and debris, it curled up next to a fair sized rock and would not move further. I cautiously negotiated my way through the limbs because there could be more and the slowly walked around the rattlesnake at a distance of about 15 feet. I did take a pic shortly after I saw it and two more while it was curled up next to the rock but found when I got home, that the rattlesnake cannot be seen due to the distance and lighting when the pics were taken. I will post two of the pics in hopes that you can see what was visible while it slithered away and then when it was curled up next to the rock. I am also going to include a pic of the mushrooms, some Ginseng plant pics...especially note the big 4 prong with a top as long as my' Ginseng digger and a pic of the mountains taken from about 3,000 feet in elevation on the drive back out.

0918181722a.jpg 0918181723.jpg

0918181657.jpg

0918181606.jpg 0918181558b.jpg 0918181537.jpg 0918181414a.jpg 0918181241.jpg 0918181251(1).jpg

0918181854a.jpg

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great harvest and adventure story. Imagine how many times this happened to the bare skinned natives and the trappers
Long ago.

I will add my recent adventure and end the snake story properly.

Last winter I planted a handful of cedar trees across my property.
These were considered “bare root” and were about 7” tall.

Flash forward to mid summer. I was only able to find 3 of the trees I planted due to heavy dry weeds about shin high. Every week I walked out carrying a 5 gallon bucket to water the trees, I thought about the possibility of stepping on a rattlesnake. Couple weeks ago I was walking out the thin trails in the grass to water a tree and I caught some rapid movement about 3 feet in front of me. I then heard not a rattle, but a rattle wiggling in an attempt to quickly get away. I instantly reacted because I have been trying to eliminate a den that was located not 50’ from my lawn.

I kicked dirt and threw rocks trying to get it to coil up, but it was intent on getting away.
My only thought was to throw a bucket of cold water on it, which did the trick.

I ran down the hill to retrieve my .38 special revolver, which was loaded with snake shot. I grabbed a McCloud fire rake as well. When I got back to the bucket, the snake was nowhere to be found. I cautiously walked through the thick grass raking as I went, hoping to get it to rattle to no avail. I then made a wide loop around the area it was last coiled and couldn’t find it.
Finally I got the idea of shooting a round into the air to see if it would rattle. It didn’t and my ears were ringing badly. I started to walk back and noticed movement, not 2’ in front of me.
One shot later, it was still. Alerted by the gunshots, my brother texted me that he was walking with his pre-school age daughter nearby. I told him what happened and he brought her by to learn what to stay away from. Unfortunately all she wanted to do is get a real close look at it.

DC821ECA-4245-4565-8D56-B715EBC2724F.jpg

For those offended by my story, I have another to follow which might explain why I hunted this snake down that so obviously just wanted just to get away.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
darnit!!!! I say every year that I'm going to hunt ginseng!! and I never do it!! I wanted to be on my land when it started to look around and watch others in the area. I'm going have to look forward to your posts since I didn't do it again this year!!!!!:laughing7:

I've never run into a viper while running around the woods...I know it's going to happen one day, but I've been very lucky so far. I run all over everything and get too comfortable...

Thanks for posting about your adventure along with pics!1:occasion14:

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer I was watering my lawn, one Saturday afternoon and decided to lay down in the shade and enjoy the thick stand of grass.
My yellow lab laid down near me and we both promptly started napping. It was one of those really satisfying naps where you know you should get up because you have things to do, but sleep instead.
Every once in awhile I half woke up and thought about the fact that a rattle snake could slither up along side me un-noticed and I might roll over on top of it, getting bit. Instead of getting up, I rolled out of the sun and chased the moving shade.
This thought crossed my mind several times, but sleep felt too good. Finally the day cooled off and I woke up refreshed.
As I stood up, I noticed a very large rattlesnake slowly making its way across the lawn, not 5’ away from where I was sleeping. It had likely slithered right in front of my sleeping dog, which had no second thoughts about wasting the day away napping.

I grabbed my dog by the collar and retrieved the revolver and dispatched the snake. It wanted nothing more than to enjoy the lawn like I was doing. It is me or them, not both.
Ginseng...I wonder if there is any in the Pacific Northwest?

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great harvest and adventure story. Imagine how many times this happened to the bare skinned natives and the trappers
Long ago.

I will add my recent adventure and end the snake story properly.

Last winter I planted a handful of cedar trees across my property.
These were considered “bare root” and were about 7” tall.

Flash forward to mid summer. I was only able to find 3 of the trees I planted due to heavy dry weeds about shin high. Every week I walked out carrying a 5 gallon bucket to water the trees, I thought about the possibility of stepping on a rattlesnake. Couple weeks ago I was walking out the thin trails in the grass to water a tree and I caught some rapid movement about 3 feet in front of me. I then heard not a rattle, but a rattle wiggling in an attempt to quickly get away. I instantly reacted because I have been trying to eliminate a den that was located not 50’ from my lawn.

I kicked dirt and threw rocks trying to get it to coil up, but it was intent on getting away.
My only thought was to throw a bucket of cold water on it, which did the trick.

I ran down the hill to retrieve my .38 special revolver, which was loaded with snake shot. I grabbed a McCloud fire rake as well. When I got back to the bucket, the snake was nowhere to be found. I cautiously walked through the thick grass raking as I went, hoping to get it to rattle to no avail. I then made a wide loop around the area it was last coiled and couldn’t find it.
Finally I got the idea of shooting a round into the air to see if it would rattle. It didn’t and my ears were ringing badly. I started to walk back and noticed movement, not 2’ in front of me.
One shot later, it was still. Alerted by the gunshots, my brother texted me that he was walking with his 3 year old daughter nearby. I told him what happened and he brought her by to learn what to stay away from.

View attachment 1633734

For those offended by my story, I have another to follow which might explain why I hunted this snake down that so obviously just wanted just to get away.

No offense here!! I'm killing any snake I see on my land...I don't care what people say or if I'm the devil!! I hate the things !! I also have a 3 yr old that has no fear. That's the last thing I need!!!! Is for him to go for one!! I eliminated two ring snakes(?) this week in the yard. He went for one the other day. They aren't venomous but they will bite and cause infections. Eliminated! Strangest thing! Their heads fell off?:dontknow:

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense here!! I'm killing any snake I see on my land...I don't care what people say or if I'm the devil!! I hate the things !! I also have a 3 yr old that has no fear. That's the last thing I need!!!! Is for him to go for one!! I eliminated two ring snakes(?) this week in the yard. He went for one the other day. They aren't venomous but they will bite and cause infections. Eliminated! Strangest thing! Their heads fell off?:dontknow:
Ring snakes, do you mean California King Snakes? Black and white or red, black and white ringed?
Those are docile/gentle snakes and actually primarily feed on rattlesnakes. If you see them around, there are rattlesnakes nearby for sure. They actually hibernate in the same dens as the rattlesnakes during the winter, which is so odd.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ring snakes, do you mean California King Snakes? Black and white or red, black and white ringed?
Those are docile/gentle snakes and actually primarily feed on rattlesnakes. If you see them around, there are rattlesnakes nearby for sure. They actually hibernate in the same dens as the rattlesnakes during the winter, which is so odd.

I might have the wrong name. These are in GA. They are dark or black and have one white ring around their neck. Looks like a necklace. They are actually pretty cool looking. The two that we found this week were aggressive. The first one, my wife was playing with our son in the dirt alonf side the house. It's pretty much wooded up till about 10 feet from the house, no yard there. Anyhow, he went for it and she realized what it was before he grabbed it. The other one I found on the back patio tonight when I went out to smoke. We also killed another one about 3 weeks ago in our drive. They aren't venomous, but they can bite, their spit is somewhat toxic or will infect you. So when they bite they have grooves in their teeth that allows their spit to get to you.I read all of this online so I have no clue of the accuracy of that. I'm not taking the chance with our son. They raise their head up and strike at you....

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's a good thing to watch every step in the woods. I haven't had an encounter in sometime so my odds are getting worse. We in the south see Cottonmouths and copperheads even in Nov. And Dec. Be careful out there.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have the wrong name. These are in GA. They are dark or black and have one white ring around their neck. Looks like a necklace. They are actually pretty cool looking. The two that we found this week were aggressive. The first one, my wife was playing with our son in the dirt alonf side the house. It's pretty much wooded up till about 10 feet from the house, no yard there. Anyhow, he went for it and she realized what it was before he grabbed it. The other one I found on the back patio tonight when I went out to smoke. We also killed another one about 3 weeks ago in our drive. They aren't venomous, but they can bite, their spit is somewhat toxic or will infect you. So when they bite they have grooves in their teeth that allows their spit to get to you.I read all of this online so I have no clue of the accuracy of that. I'm not taking the chance with our son. They raise their head up and strike at you....
I’m sorry, I thought you were out of California for some reason.
What do you guys do with ginseng? Sell it?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on the Chanterelles, in the future you can know that they never grow on dead wood. They grow from the ground. also learning how to distinguish false gills from true gills will help you out next time. Check spore prints, as well as color and texture of stem when cut. Also should smell slightly of apricot. I found oodles this year, so tasty.
View attachment 1633783 20180903_162749_resized.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ginseng...I wonder if there is any in the Pacific Northwest?

The Pacific Northwest is out of it's normal growing range which is mainly from the mountains of Arkansas and Missouri North into Canada and Ontario and Eastward to near the Eastern Seaboard except for Florida. However, with the right hardwood forests, the right amount of shade and sunlight as well, some hard work and preparation to the soil, it can be grown in some areas of the Pacific Northwest.

Added: I forgot to mention that North American Wild Ginseng has been found as far South as a little section of Southwest Mississippi. This is also really out of Ginseng's normal growing range but it is believed that Native American Indians traveled North and harvested some roots and/or seeds or traded some more Northern Tribes for them and planted them in that location. They more than likely were growing Ginseng for their own use and/or were growing it to trade to the White Traders. North American Wild Ginseng has been harvested, sold, trade and grown in North America pretty much since its discovery in Canada by Father Joseph Francois Lafitau, a Jesuit Missionary. Daniel Boone was a digger, buyer, seller and trader of Ginseng to the Chinese and others.

I’m sorry, I thought you were out of California for some reason.
What do you guys do with ginseng? Sell it?

Yes, I sell the Ginseng and will be taking the roots I harvested yesterday and some that I harvested last week from my' own Ginseng crops which are on my brother-in-laws Nephew's property to sell them today. Right now, the price for green (freshly dug) Ginseng roots is high enough to make it better to sell now, than to wait for it to dry. It usually takes 3 1/2 pounds to sometimes 4 pounds of freshly dug Ginseng roots to dry out to one pound and prices usually start around or below $400 a pound for dry. By selling my' Ginseng roots now, I don't have to go to the trouble of drying them and waiting near a month or more for them to dry and I can get $150 a pound or more now which is a much better deal than waiting for them to dry and hope the price stays up or goes up.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere that half the bites are to the hand or arm. Around here the snakes are just about impossible to see if they aren't moving. A snake stick can help to pound the ground and get them to move so you can see them before you reach down.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score on the Sang huntsman!
Great Mt. pic too.

See snake first , go around , all is well.
Not see snake first , not so good.

I try hard to never be in a hurry. Or to travel over stuff that can be gone around. Still.....Prefer happy snakes resting or traveling vs unhappy ones. (!).

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a good thing that the Rattlesnake decided to move away from me as I was carrying my' Winchester Super X3 12 Gauge Shotgun with me due to the possibility of Rattlesnakes, Copperheads and aggressive Black Bear in that area. I had a run in with a Sow Black Bear with two Cubs the last time the Ginseng Harvesting Season was open in this section of the National Forest. I was Bow Hunting for Deer and was also on the way to dig my last 10 Ginseng roots for the Season and she walked in below me, caught my scent where I came up the ridge from the old logging road, turned and took her' Cubs across the grown up Wet Weather Spring they came down and out the ridge. Well, having a cold, I tried to stifle a cough which made it sound like a male Black Bear huffing. Oh boy, here she came running back out the ridge towards me but slammed on the brakes on the bank of the Wet Weather Spring huffing. Not seeing the male Bear, she turned and hurriedly took her' Cubs out of the area. I have seen evidence of the aggressiveness of the male bear in the form of broken off small trees, clawed trees and I am pretty sure it was his claw marks I saw yesterday over 8 feet up on the side of a big tree. There also appears to be a Wolf in the area as I saw it's poop pile and the poop logs were really too big to be from a Coyote and it definitely was not Black Bear poop which I am well rehearsed in after seeing hundreds of Black Bear poop piles in West Virginia and here in Tennessee. Another reason that it was good that the Timber Rattler moved away from me and I did not have to shoot it, is because it is against the Law to kill any snake in Tennessee and one never knows there if a Game Warden is close by or not. Had encounters with them before as well, you know empty your pockets, then they frisk you to make sure you are not hiding more than your share of Ginseng roots, then they search your vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I got back from selling my' green Ginseng roots just a little while ago and Whoot...Whoot, the Dealer/Buyer paid me on a base of $185 a pound because my' Ginseng roots were top rated. I only had .56 of a pound and made $104 for two outings, the long one yesterday in the National Forest and just 4 hours last week which was mainly to check on and take pics of my' personal Ginseng crop. That might not seem much to some folks but not drying my' Ginseng roots equates to a price of $647.50 to $740 a pound which is way better than what the Dealers/Buyers have paid for dried Ginseng roots here in Tennessee in many years. The last few years, the price for dried Ginseng roots have stayed between $400 to $450 a pound up until December, then it usually goes to $475 to around $500 a pound. The dang Chinese control the price that is paid but when they ship it to China, they get thousands of dollars a pound and the older the roots, the higher price that it fetches. I have an elderly lady that wants me to check her' property for Ginseng and if she does and we can work a deal, I will be digging Ginseng on her' property and hope to get more contacts.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I would have had been able to record what my wife and I heard camping. We swear it was a bear. We have no experience with hearing them and aren't 100% sure. And there aren't supposed to be any Bear in that area.

We were camping out on our land and in the dark middle of the night, we heard a growl that I've never heard before. It was deep, and the only other way I know how to describe it, it was airy..you could hear the air behind the growl .Like something I've never heard. We both tripped over each other trying to get in the truck. I could tell it had a little distance from us, it's roughly a quarter mile from where we camp down hill to the lake. I'm guessing that's where it came from. That or the creek, about the same distance in a little different direction(avatar pic)..Even being that far, it echoed through those hills like it was right beside you.:laughing7: Especially on a pitch black dead quiet night. We sat in the bed of the truck(has cap) and looked at each other and said" what the hell was that?" Then neither of us wanted to go back out to pee! :laughing7: I was trying to get her to go first so it wouldn't be hungry anymore.:laughing7:

That was a few times ago and haven't heard anything like it since. I've heard most other animals that we have in the north and it wasn't a deer or anything like that, for sure. we've heard the Bobcat growl and fight. Nope nothing even close to that either.

Ginseng isn't really known in that area, but I think it may be possible because of all the different conditions and plants. If not I was going to try to plant some, but haven't gotten that far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nitric...Where did that happen, up North, in Georgia, in Alabama or elsewhere? Did it sound like a Cougar (Mountain Lion) at the first link below or a Black Bear at the second link below?

Deleted video links to help conserve TNET Server space.

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ring neck snakes are one of the most gentle snakes around. I used to keep them for pets when I was younger. They don't have teeth and even if they did bite you, their mouths are so small, it wouldn't break your skin. I have never seen an aggressive ring neck snake. Garter snakes will defend themselves by striking at you. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric...Where did that happen, up North, in Georgia, in Alabama or elsewhere? Did it sound like a Cougar (Mountain Lion) at the first link below or a Black Bear at the second link below?

More like the bear, on the shorter sounds where it's airy.....This was in N.Central Alabama.Winston County, they say there aren't any bear up there.
It was the middle of the night, dead silent, and we weren't expecting it, so I guess it's possibly that it was a big cat too. They aren't supposed to be there either. So, I'm not sure, but the bear sounds closer, to what I remember. You could tell it was bigger by the air, is the only way I know how to describe it.

We've also heard bobcats, but we hear those occasionally and not the same. They just sound like a ticked off house cat when they fight or make noise. not as deep.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ring neck snakes are one of the most gentle snakes around. I used to keep them for pets when I was younger. They don't have teeth and even if they did bite you, their mouths are so small, it wouldn't break your skin. I have never seen an aggressive ring neck snake. Garter snakes will defend themselves by striking at you. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I don't know anything about snakes, The articles say they have rear facing fangs, and are slightly venomous, for GA. I'm not taking any chances...and don't want them as pets around the house. :laughing7: They will strike at you! I watched it. Whether they could have gotten a hold of a small childs finger, I'm really not sure but I think they probably could. I know it wouldn't be able to bite my leg or anything....Not the size we found.

And to be honest, I'll probably just relocate what I find. That was a day, that she couldn't keep my son from wanting it, so I just acted fast to get it out of the way. We now have a bucket ready for any more that we find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread