Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm from Mass and do virtually all my detecting here in my home state. I'm well aware of the regulations here in MA regarding metal detecting in state forests, etc. I seem to recall that NY has some unique rules about metal detecting, perhaps on state land, fines etc. Can anyone shed some light on this? I may have an opportunity to detect in NY this weekend and I want to make sure I understand the rules. I would be looking for public land on which to hunt...not permissions. Thanks!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so its one of those complicated issues. Technically it's ok to detect in state forests. yet these weird antiquity laws try and say anything over 50 years old belongs to the state. Yet I have heard few stories of it being enforced. state parks usually require a permit issued by the park itself and can usually inquire at the park office. Yet each park is different as to if they allow it or not. I suggest just looking up the rules of the area you are going. now city and town parks are just like any other state, unless theres rules saying not to your good to go.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our local state park allows detecting at the "beach area" after Labor Day and before Memorial Day. No fee.

Actually, you can detect anywhere any time - you just can't dig or remove objects from the park. :dontknow:

Town parks and greens - go for it. Just don't disturb sports playing fields. County parks vary.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our local state park allows detecting at the "beach area" after Labor Day and before Memorial Day. No fee.

Actually, you can detect anywhere any time - you just can't dig or remove objects from the park. :dontknow:

Town parks and greens - go for it. Just don't disturb sports playing fields. County parks vary.
FEW YEARS AGO - I stopped by a NY spot with a beach off season - no one in sight - there was a barracks

down a bit from the beach with 2 state trooper cars and a park truck - Beach looked real good and I was going to hit in the water - I figured I should go back and ask if its permitted - I walked in - troopers had stopped by for coffee

I told them my intentions and I was just going to go in but thought I should ask before I got into trouble - they said
has I just went in - they probably would have never seen me and what they don't know - don't hurt
but now that I asked - they asked if I had a permit - I said no - can I get one and they said not there - i'd
have to send in for one and it was like $10 or $20 - so I was SOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread